What "person" do you usually write in and why?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Phifty2, May 8, 2009.

1. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

First novel, first person (past tense - but I am now re-writing it in present tense).:eek:
    Second novel - third person.
    I can't say which was easier, or that I was more comfortable with one or the other, they just suited the particular novel IMO.

2. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Usually third person, but now I'm taking a liking to first. I think it's a lot easier to write in first person than in third, as long as you stick with one point of view character, two if you really must. I like giving the narrator a personality.

3. Atari

Atari Active Member

I do first-person omniscient.

I ran off into the distance while Naiko stood there, staring at my back until I was a dot on the horizon.
    He turned to Mia, "He doesn't know where he's going."
    "That's never stopped him, before."

The ONLY problem I have with my style is that there is no easy way to actually SHIFT the view so entirely that I can, in the narration, start calling 'me' by my name.

In other words, change it to third person. I was considering having a break in the paragraph, then immediately make the view-change apparent.
    Hmm. . . .
    Might just keep it first-person, though, and just keep it like that.
    Hmmmmmmmmm..............

Yeah, something like:

I ran off into the distance. . .

. . . and then he was gone. Naiko stared after him, "He has no idea where he's going."

I find that this really -- is such a drastic change that if a person could become accustomed to it, it could FEEL like the 'camera' has shifted to a different character.
    Going from 'I' to 'he' kinda fades the main character into the background.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

I don't get it Atari. Why would you even want to write in first person omnipresent? It totally destroys the strengths of first person.

5. JGraham

JGraham New Member

I do all different. I mainly like third person, you can cover a wide area and it seems to make for a more compelling story. But i like to write in first person as well, it really depends on what i am writing. If i am trying a thriller or something that is supposed to be scary or creepy i usually go with first, but everything else i tend to go with third.

6. shellabella27

shellabella27 New Member

I have always written in first person. I think its because I get much more drawn into a novel when it is written in first person because I feel like I am more able to relate to the character. Its almost like I become the character. Another thing I prefer in my reading is that it is written in past tense. I find it really really hard to read novels written in present tense.

7. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I notice nobody says they write in second person. What's wrong, y'all pansies? :D

8. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

You write in second person. You try. You just try to write in second person.

Then you realize, "This post is in second person."
    And you know you're not a pansy.

But, what the hey. You like pansies.

You have a great day now!

9. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I like first person POV. I prefer to read it when it is done right, and I prefer to write in it too.

Normally, I will have two characters, sometimes three, as my perspectives. I move the story along through one person's eyes, but then when it stops working or when the character focus needs to change, I use a different character. I think of my book as having co-stars, rather than just following one character through the whole story.

However, there are times, especially in shorter stories, where one characters perspective is plenty or the whole story is centered on that one character's journey.

I like first person because it is a way to really explore the character's psychological make up, and draw the reader right into that character's head. I also like it for the ability to really show the setting and other characters, rather than using the basic sweeping description that most third person POV books use.

I like to know what my character thinks of the world around them. I want to see the world through my character's eyes, because my character has a unique perspective on the world and the reality they live in. Everyone lives in their own interpretation of the world, their own personal reality bubbles, so each character should have their own view of the world through their own bubbles.

10. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    I mostly write in third person POV. While I have written in first, when I tried to translate it to a novel, my results were disastrous and I had to change the whole thing to third. I usually write in first when I'm writing a short story where I don't have much time to set up the character.

11. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

For what it's worth, you can do those same things with Third limited POV.

12. Andrius

Andrius New Member

I use first person POV and third person. Usually third person but I occasionally use POV as well.

I try to mix them both up, so it's more interesting to read. I think that's allowed, what I'm talking about. I mean it's proper to use in a story. I saw it.

I like first person POV because it tells the reader how the character is reacting, feeling and thinking of what he is doing/seeing at the moment. It also adds to the personality of the character.

Thought third person is a lot more common and easier to use.

13. AngeloBraxton

AngeloBraxton New Member

It depends on the type of story I'm writing. If I have a story with lots of characters and a lot of action I'll use third person. I find first person more enjoyable in the end, however.