What state of mind do you need in order to write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Jun 1, 2014.

1. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

I need to be hearing music to be able to write. And the music corresponds to the theme I'm writing. If I'm writing something cheery the music would be the type that wants to make me dance; or if I'm writing action sequences I'd put something that would make my adrenaline rush. Or if I'm writing something dark and sappy I'd put on something that'd make my heart heavy.

..and since I'm a videogame nerd, most of my collection consists of videogame music. :(

Daniel likes this.
  2. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Calm, without worries which might rear their heads and take my attention away from my writing. I have discovered I write better once I'm fully awake, a least an hour after waking. So to reiterate, a calm and contented state of mind.

3. WeWill77

WeWill77 New Member

Eager to share some thought, concept, or experience. Particularly those that are uncommon. I also write when I'm feeling friendly and there's nobody around.

4. HealSomeBabies

HealSomeBabies Member

After I listen to Sign of the Southern Cross, I'm in the right(write?) state of mind.

5. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Excitement.
    I can't be bored at the moment. I need to have an idea and filled with aspiration towards that idea. I need to love and enjoy what I'm writing. Similar to watching a really enjoyable movie. I need to be on the edge of my seat curious as to what will happen next. As if I don't know. Which is why sometimes it is hard for me to write extensive dialogue, unless I really enjoy the personalities of the characters I'm writing.

6. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Really really really fucking out of it. Like this sensation of being high without the drugs or when I am on my medication that makes me kind of loopy. It takes me to this world in my mind that only I can reach when I am in between sleep and a state of alertness.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I need it, it kinda sucks. If I don't have the day free I won't get far. If I do churn something out, the quality won't be acceptable. I have read that meditation and "ritualizing" your day can help with this problem, but I haven't yet pursued it as a solution.

I can't write with music playing, the exception being instrumental and electronic music, but I can totally understand using music as a source of emotion or inspiration for the type of writing you're doing. That's actually a really cool method. Do you find this method highly effective for getting into your characters and describing events? I need to try this.

8. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Mostly my stuff is indeed instrumental and electronic music. It certainly helps me visualize the scene and the character's state of mind etc. Sometimes I even get new ideas while listening.

Like for fast paced actiony scenes:

Or for dark, brooding, I-meet-my-fate type scenes:

And so on. :p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  9. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Pirate182, I live inside music sometimes too. It gets me somewhere. If you have any good BGMs, come talk to me and maybe you can give me some stuff to listen too. Though don't be afraid of me. I know I can be a bit melancholy and moody.