1. zorell

zorell New Member

What to do? What to do!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by zorell, Jul 12, 2008.

I have this annoying habit of creating a skeleton for a story and not being able to create flesh for it.

Here's an example:
    I loved that boy,
    he gave me joy.
    He took my breath away,
    knocked me off my feet.
    But there'd come a day,
    when he'd blow me mind,
    and my heart would cease to beat.
    But he'd leave me behind.
    (chap one)

Have I lost my mind?
    What is this life?
    Where is my love?
    Why am I not his wife?
    He's all I dream of,
    but i'm the wrong kind.
    (chap two)

Oh, back you come!
    Am I this dumb
    to keep you in my heart.
    But away you'll start.
    Run to your love,
    fly my dove.
    (chap three)

I can live,
    I can learn.
    My heart will give,
    but it shall burn.
    I wave my hand
    and sit on this land,
    crying silently
    but cursing violently.
    (chap four)

Oh happy day!
    I knew you'd be gay.
    Being merry
    while I'm contrary,
    that's how you've always been.
    And I'm in this hell you threw me in.
    But, with the rise of the moon,
    I shall recover soon.
    (chap five)

It's for a story called "Curiosity Killed the Kat," I know exactly where I want to go with the plot, but can't seem to do with it. Any advice?

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Drop the poem.:D I can barely undertsand what you are trying to say.

3. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

What do you mean? Characters and scenes and such? You can't elaborate? If thats the case I think you should think about it, all anyone needs is one thing to build off of, and you might stumble across it at some point, that one thing to make a character or a scene, that first sentence of an epic scene, and I know how hard it is to not think about it, so try relaxing before you do, blast a little Reggae and lie down on the couch, let your thoughts drift and they might just drift across what your looking for.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Unearth the conflicts. Conflict is what defines a plot, a storyline is just a sequence of events. Conflict is what moves characters through that sequence.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

as for your 'skeleton'... just sounds like a teenager's angsty rant over a lost love t'me... and i don't see even the hint of any 'plot' there...

drop that doggerel schtick and give us some idea of what your plot actually is, and maybe we can come up with some advice/suggestions...

love and hugs, maia

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I didn't even think of it as a poem. Was it supposed to be one? Sorry, as a poem it falls terribly short.

7. zorell

zorell New Member

They're notes so that I remeber what I want to write.

8. zorell

zorell New Member

Okay, it's not a poem, hey're tiny summaries of the story. TO translate out my own mind:

Chapter One: Katerina McCraig meets this guy, whos name I haven't determinedm she falls in love with him, and discovers he's a vamp. He a manipulator and convinces her to want to convert. Once she has, he finds someone else.

Chapter Two:Kat regrets having converted, finding out how the vamp truly feels, and is thoroughly confused about herself. She also discovers that vamp is gay.

Chapter Three:Vamp is denied by the guy he left her for, and tries o come back into her good graces. SHe allows it, and realzes her mistake, he meets her bro.

Chapter Four: Vamp leaves her jilted once again, and she really regrets the fact that she fell in love and gave her life.

Chapter Five:Her bro and vamp are getting married, but she hates them both, because her heart has been torn, and her feelings ignored. But she realizes that there are other vamps in the night.

Does that help any? It really wasn't a poem, just my notes because i know I would remeber it because i couldn't start the story quick enough.

9. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I despise most vampire stories, especially ones with gay vampires and relationship problems. :p

But seriously, there's not much adivce one can give. You seem to have a fairly good idea of the plot. Now you need to decide on the inciting incident. Where can the story start? The best place would be somewhere very near where she meets the vamp, or maybe a little bit after. After that, all you can really do is start writing.