What to expect from a professional editor?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by jannert, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I think there are a couple of points before you contract an editor.
    1. Get a referral from another writer, don't go to the winner of the Google dart-throw contest.
    2. Get a contract specifically for what you expect, when you expect it to be done.

Something that worked well with me, especially because of the length ($$$) of E&D, is that my editor did an edit of the first, I think 100 pages, and reviewed synopses of the remaining chapters for story line. Which forced me to write the synopses, which also cause me to rewrite some chapters where i found I had nothing to synopsize! She got a feel for what she was working with, and I got a feel for what kind of editing she could do, and a reasonable price, deductible from the full edit if I choose to go that route (I did)

2. Richach

Richach Active Member

I am going to reawaken this thread as i think it is useful.

Well I have an editor due to start any day now. I sent the first 1K as a sample and after many emails she quoted me based on the total word count. She is from the Society of Editors and Proofreaders. She offered me a place in her diary and I have had to wait 6 months, but that suited me so I could finish and polish the MS. She works on a schedule of rates (although she did not call it that) which is basically £100 for 10K. I have checked her out thoroughly and all looks ligit. I will let you know what happens :eek:

EFMingo likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

assuming you are talking about a structural/developmental edit that rate is fairly par for the course

4. Richach

Richach Active Member

Yes that's right Moose. :)

5. Richach

Richach Active Member

Update:

Just had a quick read through of my first round from a professional editor.

Grammar errors.
    Head hopping and P.O.V issues.
    Some show vs tell.
    Plot issues.

Nothing catastrophic but plenty to think about. More than a few lights have been switched on in my head. Valuable lessons learnt....

deadrats and EFMingo like this.
  6. guy9859

guy9859 New Member

I'm an editor who has been doing this for quite a while at a publishing company. Most of what I get is not publishable. The problem is not typos or bad grammar, just bad storytelling in most cases. What editors do is check for spelling and grammar and for good character development, pacing, consistency and layering different elements together, meaning the main plot and various subplots which should tie up nicely at the end.

Not to be blunt, but most beginning writers just do not know the basics and there are plenty of how-to books out there.