What to expect when gods walk among men.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Fervidor, Jul 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

That sounds like one of my Aversions. They can get pretty strong. You can trick yourself into writing though, sneak in under the wire. Just sit down to write one sentence, and mean it—fully intend to shut down your writing software after one sentence. And maybe about something else—not your story at all. But once you've written it, suddenly you're already there, all set up and with fresh words on the virtual paper, and the easiest thing is to just write some more, and pretty soon you're off and running. Sometimes it works anyway.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I get how that can happen. Here's hoping it returns. All the best....

3. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

Last time I tried to write a couple of weeks back, I managed some three hundred words. Not sure they're very good, though, I don't think they came together right. Possibly the whole chapter need to be restructured. Or maybe I'm just rusty. Anyway, after that I ran out of steam and spent several days just watching anime and playing a lot of Minecraft.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I just realized a likely reason why the gods were portrayed as petty and vengeful—I think it was to serve as a warning that people in power are often like that, and to teach people from an early age to expect it in case they ever have to deal with important types.

"So if you meet me
    Have some courtesy
    Have some sympathy, and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse
    Or I'll lay your soul to waste"