What Will Stop Me From Getting My Novel Published.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Kirby Tails, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Kirby, see Michael Morse's post ----^ :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it certainly won't, unless you have the passion to write that it takes to weather the storms of rejection and years of learning/practicing you'll need to do till you get to where you can write well enough to sell something... you're only 17, so why give up so easily/early?

3. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Kirby, please don't give up on writing. If dreams were so easily attained, they wouldn't be dreams at all. Just think about it okay?

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

One of my favorite quotes of all time is "Why settle for destiny?" Why should you settle for what's real here and now when you have dreams? Even if you never attain your dream what you end up with will be better than what you have now.

5. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

Meh. Maybe. I'll "try."

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

one of my own 'greatest lines' is:

7. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Kirby,

All achievement begins with one underlying necessity. Motivation.

"Maybe. I'll try."

Do your own words sound like those of a motivated person? Writing demands commitment. There are hours of study, dozens of trials and errors before you get it right. Each obstacle should be a mountain you are privileged to conquer! You should enjoy the process as much as the outcome. If not, then writing may not be the most rewarding activity for you. And, that's okay...it's not for everyone.

Tell me three reasons why you "need" to write your story. After you've written those three reasons, then ask yourself if they are compelling. If so, you're a writer...perhaps a discouraged writer...but nevertheless you're a "writer" and you will find a lot of support among the members of this site.

On the other hand, if the process does not inspire you, then perhaps you should invest your time in something else that will ignite a fire in your belly. It's okay to not be a writer. Find your passion in life and let the dawgs loose!

8. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

Three reasons? Why do I need a reason?

9. Ungood

Ungood New Member

You know Kerby, maybe you're right.

Perhaps this is not for you. in reality it is a crap load of work, heavy competition with dedicated and in some case established writers for very little monetary reward and perhaps in several years there might be someone that might remotely know your name from a one hit wonder book you wrote, assuming you were lucky enough to get it published.

Writing is a profession to the people that take is seriously, just like any job there is work involved, lots of it.

But what is stopping you?

I guess the same things that stop any one, skill, creativity, determination, availability of resources, etc, etc, etc...

After all. if it was easy - everyone would do it.

10. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Kirby, this discussion is getting redundant. The reasons, are for you to come up with, not us. In the end; it is not up to this forum to provide the answers you seek. Only you can do that. So, go find a mirror, and come back when you recognize the person looking back at you.