Tags:
  1. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

Snobby Indie Game Designers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Antaus, May 16, 2018.

What is the deal with these stuck up indie game designers? I've played pre-release computer games designed by people who don't speak English as a first language, or much at all for that matter.

Go location so succeed mission
    Enemies are dangerous weapons
    Stop erecting weapon

Just a few examples of the really horrific English in some games. In a few that were good in terms of gameplay I e-mailed the designers, volunteering (no change for services) to smooth out the English to help the game sell better. I've made more than a dozen offers and only two have even bothered to reply at all, both stuck up as hell. The one that stuck out in my mind was 'Not need help sell success, game language quality.'

Admittedly I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have replied with 'All your profits are belong to us'.

Lawless likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

The ones I've interacted with have been great - people who love games and are excited that I enjoy what they've created. But I've never emailed any of them to say their English sucks and I want to fix it...

Moon, BayView and izzybot like this.
  3. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

I didn't tell them their English sucked. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of politely offering to go over their in-game text to look for errors in their English translation.

4. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

While we're on the topic, anyone else fed up with the never ending indie game early access trend? I know it's cliche to hate it at this point, but come one, it gets really old really fast. :mad::p

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't really see that their declining to take a stranger on as a member of their development team is evidence of their being 'snobby'. They don't know you.

izzybot likes this.
  6. Antaus

Antaus Active Member

The early access aspect of things is annoying yes, but on the other hand it also makes sense from a marketing standpoint for a few reasons. If you have a game close to release the early access can peak customer interest, and those that buy the alpha and beta releases help the company with continued funding for the project. While I admit it can be annoying, it's a marketing/slash financial tactic.

7. Xayah for Dinner

Xayah for Dinner Member

The dumpster fire known as Agony just came out. No Man's Sky all over again!!!!!