What's on your reading list?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WriterDude, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Scarvey

Scarvey New Member

I'm going to start A Song of Fire and Ice series once I'm done with The Stand.

2. Rennuruof

Rennuruof Member

Good Omens -Pratchet and Gaiman (almost done)
    Dance with Dragons (should be on my door step tomorrow)
    Monkey Sonatas - Orson Scott Card
    Soul of Fire - Goodkind.

I'll go from there.

3. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Got A Dance With Dragons yesterday (50% off the hardback at Waterstone's, plus discount from my loyalty card - a £25 book for under a tenner). Started it today. After 94 pages, it's all right. Still trying to remember some events of A Storm of Swords though; it's been over a year (and 90-odd other books) between that and this.

A re-read of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is in order fairly soon. I also have some other books sitting waiting to be read. Won two by Tom Fletcher (I think that's his name) from Black Static's competition this month. I have The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar waiting on my Kindle. Helliconia by Brian Aldiss is going on holiday with me. And War and Peace is another Kindle pain in the backside that may never be read at this rate.

I have plenty to be getting on with.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I feel I should know more about the Song of Fire and Ice series but I don't. Maybe I'll look it up some time.

Got four books out the library. Not sure on the order I'll be reading them, but these are the books I'll be reading over the next week: The Still Point by Amy Sackville, The L-Shaped Room by Lynne Reid Banks, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason.

5. Oldspeak

Oldspeak New Member

Just picked up The Brothers Karamazov today from the library :) Am psyched, and a little intimidated by it, since it's bigger than most books I read and the words are so small.

6. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

Picked up a A Dance with Dragons at the Tattered Cover a few days ago. Even though many other places had it for cheaper...I was able to get a ticket for the GRRM signing in a few weeks, so it's worth it. Plus the book is pretty sweet.

After that I'm debating on whether to continue on with The Dark Tower series or maybe pick up a good, stand alone novel. Wizard and Glass left me pretty heartbroken. So I'm deciding on whether to take a longer break from that series or to finish reading Roland's quest.

7. Arya Rocks

Arya Rocks New Member

Here's my list:

1. Harry Potter- Never got to finish it.

2. Mortal Instruments-Heard great things about this series.

3. Torment and Passion-I've read Fallen.

4. The Hobbit-That's an all time classic and I'm ready to read it.

Then I'm waiting on Inheritance and Son of Neptune to come out this fall!

I'm so excited for those two!

8. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    I'm thinking of maybe reading some classic's like Dracula and stuff like that....

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Dracula is awesome my friend! You should most definitely read it :D

Anyway, trying out a classic myself. David Copperfield. Not going so well to be honest. Finished the first chapter and is very tempted to stop there. I won't, but I'm tempted. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the book is about.

After that there will be more classics. Just bought a sony e-reader and got 100 classic books for free. Just finished Alice in Wonderland yesterday (and started yesterday, very short book), and since I adored it, I figured I might love other classics. Maybe David Copperfield just isn't my thing. I did quite enjoy A Chistmas Carol, so I'm guessing it's not Dickens' writing that's the problem.

10. Heather

Heather New Member

I'm currently in the process of re-reading the Harry Potter books, and am up to Order of the Phoneix now. On my to-read list are;

- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
    - The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
    - Once by James Herbert
    - Tony Blair's autobiography

11. Interceptor

Interceptor New Member

Decameron - started it
    LotR Triology - started it

12. East

East New Member

The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid

White Noise - Don DeLillo

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein

13. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Well I'm trying my best to read this book by David Nicholls titled one day. The beginning didn't interest me and hook me so I'm having a hard time reading it.. :/ But IT is on my reading list.. what do ya'll think (that of course have read the book) about it?

14. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I'm more into Frankenstein myself. No offense to Dracula, but I prefer the whole "create life" stuff over the vampire-stuff. But hey, both are great. :)

A bit off-topic, but if you get the chance, you really should watch the Lon Chaney Sr movie. It's a silent-movie from 1923s, but don't let that put you off. It's amazing. Lon Chaney Sr was one heck of an actor. :)

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Two comments:

Dracula is my favorite of the two. As much as I like Frankenstein, you have to admit Victor was an idiot.

And Lon Chaney Sr. was a legend! His face mask in that film is extraordinary.

16. Heather

Heather New Member

Frankenstein was the most pain-stakingly boring book I have ever had the misfortune or having to read/study. I actually despised it. It surprises me how Shelley manages to take such an interesting topic as playing God and creating a monster, and make it into such a dull novel. Dracula on the other hand, I really enjoyed reading.

I take it it's about the Hunch Back? I bought the book after watching the Disney version (which is amazing :redface:) but the opening chapter was quite boring so I put it down a while ago. I am still intending to try again sometime soon though.

17. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Ugh, Victor Hugo is a boring writer. Sorry to all Hugo fans. I mean, the story itself is really interesting and you want to read on, but the writing makes it really unbearable. I managed though. I think I'm glad I did. Whatever that means.

I thought Frankenstein was a bit dull. It had some very good and memorable parts, for sure, but overall, a bit on the dull side.

18. Heather

Heather New Member

Yea, from what I've read of the first chapter or two, he spends absolutely ages talking about the crowds which were cramming into the Notre Dam, waiting for something amazing to happen, but nothing seemed to happen. Just seemed overly descriptive for my liking. The story sounded really interesting though, so I am planning on getting through it, slowly but surely. :p

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Chaney could do more with a little make-up, some lighting, and his own facial expressions than many actors today can do with CGI and big budgets :)

20. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You are english and haven't heard about Monthy Python. You don't get the right to vote. :D

Yeah, it's about the hunchback. It's in fact called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". Also if you find the time, you might want to watch "Phantom of the Opera", also with Lon Chaney Sr. This was loooong before that Andrew Lloyd Webber-idiot turned into a stupid musical, back when the Phantom was still scary. And yes, it's still black and white, and still silent. And so much, much, much better than any version that came afterwards.

21. Heather

Heather New Member

I said I'd heard of it, just never seen it!! I'm not as old as you though, so maybe it's an age thing ;)

I'll bear that in mind if they're ever on tele/I get some moolah to order them. I've never seen a black and white film before, or a silent one for that matter, so it'd be interesting.

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Try Youtube. Black and white films aplenty on there, and a lot of them are very good.

23. Heather

Heather New Member

Thanks, I'll try that :)