1. nygiants_0000

nygiants_0000 New Member

What's the legality of using 'Time' magazine in my novel

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by nygiants_0000, May 25, 2011.

Hey there,
    There are many threads on here dealing with references to McDonalds, Coke etc in novels, but what about the use of Time magazine. In my novel the primary antagonist–a rising politician–receives universal attention, and there’s a part of the novel when I throw him on the front of Time magazine to show his rise.
    Just say the novel got published–a huge if–what is the legality of this? Does Time magazine have to give the ok, or what?

Thanks for your time.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You don't need approval from Time magazine, as a rule. If you are somehow defaming them (or if they think you are) then I suppose you could run into an issue.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Shouldn't be a problem. All throughout Allan Drury's "Advise and Consent", he not only mentioned real publications, but attributed editorial comments to them.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's done all the time and is perfectly 'legal'... just don't give them any reason to sue you for libel, is all...

anyone wanting to be a published writer of anything should study up on copyright basics: www.copyright.gov