1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

What is this?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Stammis, Jan 2, 2016.

I tried to write about an experience I had with a foreign girl while I lived in Cambodia, though I was not quite as blunt as in the text I still rejected her advances. I wanted to write a song that had meaning to me but instead lead to this.

I am not looking for critique but rather if someone could tell me what this is? Is this something? a short poem, a first draft to a song? or just some words put together that happen to kind of rhyme? Keep in mind that I have no experience writing either songs nor poems, that is why I am asking.

In a different world she took me in

her home, her sanctuary she let me in

But her past loomed dark behind her smile

In a new world she wanted to begin

She saw me as a ticket out

Yet I was blinded of her plight

Her heart which was extended to me, I rejected with a loud plea

Her kindness, rooted in fear

I denied her with a heart full of cheer

Down that path I didn’t want to go

To the path of family and stuck at home

It started serious but became kind of amusing at the end there.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

In the absence of accompanying music, I wouldn't call it a song. So assuming you've worked to make the words the best they can be and to express your ideas most effectively, I'd call it a poem. Absent that effort, I'd call it a bunch of words stuck together.

3. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Haha yeah, makes sense. I read an article a few minutes ago that basically explains what a poem is, and a poem is a thing made. I guess my text is a thing so it is a poem.

Its a good article but I am not sure about the rules of creating links so I am not gonna.