What's your favorite Stephen King book?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Jonalexher, Jan 15, 2011.

1. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

The Shining, followed by, The Stand.

2. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I liked the first four books, but when I got to Wolves of the Calla, the story just got too far fetched for me to enjoy. I never finished the book or the series.

3. butterbescotch

butterbescotch New Member

I am reading the Gunslinger now. However, I have problem understanding the imagery.
    Since I am not a native American and English is not my first language, I have to look up
    to the dictionary now and then. Also he uses words that are not found on my dictionary.
    But I will try to finish it and see what would I feel.

4. Rainer

Rainer Member

The Running Man. One of my favourite stories ever. I've also taken a recent shine to Jerusalem's Lot in the Night Shift collection.

5. Cashier

Cashier New Member

The Long Walk is my absolute favorite Stephen King book.

6. justblaze47

justblaze47 New Member

I've only read 'Skeleton Crew' and enjoyed it immensely.

Looking forward to reading 'On Writing' and 'Misery'.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

The Shining and Misery, in that order. I don't like many of his books, but those were good ones.

8. Nepthys

Nepthys New Member

I'm currently reading 'salem's Lot for the 3rd or 4th time. I currently also own Pet Semetary, IT, The Dead Zone, Carrie, Dreamcatcher, Cujo, Tommyknockers, The Green Mile, Needful Things, Cell, Dolores Claiborne Nightmares and Dreamscapes and the graphic novel Cycle of the Werewolf. Not the most exstensive but all of them are personal favourites. I even managed to get a group of friends into King by reading Cell to them over a two week period each night while on holiday in Turkey. They keep asking me to read them others xD

My favourite film adaptation has to be The Mist, though in all honesty I don't like most of his film adaptations. Most of them seem lacking, under-budgeted or just in need of re-making. I hope they re-do IT, though I don't think anyone can meet Tim Currey's Pennywise...

...Aaand I've said too much...
    >.<
    Nepthys
    x

9. OurDayBreaks

OurDayBreaks New Member

Stephen King

Has anyone read his work?

10. Fedora

Fedora Active Member

He may get a lot of flak for the number of books he publishes, but the truth is that he's a talented writer. I'm almost through with Skeleton Crew at the moment; and while his stories aren't that frightening, they're engrossing enough to merit a look. If horror isn't your style, he also wrote On Writing, which I consider to be one of the greatest manuals of its kind, behind How to Write a Damned Good Novel and Strunk and White. Either way, he's one of the best living writers at the moment in terms of readability and uniqueness. And from what I've heard, The Dark Tower is one of the best fantasy series to date. You might want to start there.

11. Gothic Vampire Queen

Gothic Vampire Queen New Member

Carrie and The Green Mile

:love:

12. Lilithmoon

Lilithmoon New Member

The Long Walk from The Bachman Books is my all time favorite story but there is not much of King's writing that I don't enjoy. One book of his that I really like but seems to go unmentioned is Gerald's Game.

The Mist is my favorite SK movie adaptation from the horror genre. I actually think Maximum Overdrive is a very under-rated SK movie. The Shawshank Redemption has to be my non-horror fave followed closely by The Green Mile.

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I ret Pet Sematary and I didn't think it was very good. A lot of King's books are hit-and-miss for me.

14. Pea

Pea super pea!

"On Writing" by Stephen King ;)

15. East

East New Member

I'll say the first half of The Stand.

Why? Because I loved the concept of surviving in a depopulated world, right up until it turned supernatural. I thought it would have been a much much much better story if it had played out with the collection of "survivors" overcoming the situation.