Novel What's Your Writing Process?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ACCERBYSS, May 26, 2008.

1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Here's how I do it - I think of an idea - it can be sparked by anything ; a movie - in which I would've taken it in another dirrection , a news story , another book , a dream. After mulling over the initial idea I write it down. I think of characters who could be in this 'story' - this stage for me is the BACK BLURB stage - cause that's what it reads like the back blurb of a book. Then I use *paper* this is important - get away from the computer to just jot down anything - scenes , places , but most of all happenings - all scattered like those word clouds in creative writing.
    I never interrupt this process! Even if I find myself fleshing out actual scenes , I just go for it - let it all out. Once I feel it's finished then I start to sort through the happenings. I even call this the HAPPENINGS stage. By now the characters are no longer 'hero or heroine' they're pretty well established in my mind - this is usually the time I name them. The happenings usually fall into some relevant order with a starting point , middle action - possibly an end ( even if the end isn't entirely fleshed I never worry ending have a way of working themselves out, over the natural course of the book and sometimes better than planned. )
    At this point - I dive right in while I'm still excited about my project. But I do not ( and this is the strongest point I can make ) read over the first draft! I can't even glance at my days work. This usually results in a bad case of YCDB - ( You can do better )I keep going until it's done. After that I try to leave it alone for a while then go back and read it ( aloud. ) Reading aloud helps me to weed out the awkward sentences and show any gaps in my tone and pacing. Reading it too soon - and my brain has a way of filling in what I meant even if it's not in the scene.
    Make notes. Start the re-write. Re-writing generally isn't adding it's editing - and like a cook with a roast - all the fat must be removed!

2. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

My writing process is free writing. I appreciate structured writing, but I'm not very good at it.

3. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

I just sit down and start. When I start again, I read what I wrote previously and edit it. The hardest part for me is starting up. Once I'm rolling, I can go on for hours straight.

4. dreamkeeper

dreamkeeper New Member

I'm still a newb when it comes to writing and so I have a difficulty in silencing all this plot bunnies. When I get attacked by one of them, I write the idea down. If it is relentless, I end up doing a character profile and I research on the places/topics that would be covered in my story based on the plot bunny. The main conflict must be clear so I write it down so that I won't stray away from the plot. After that, I make an outline, just bullets of the scenes or parts included in my story. Then I write. I am a night owl, my brain seems to be at its creative peak at night. It would be nice to have a routine, but I still have a hard time following a routine. But I usually write at night. But even with an outline, I still have to deal with the execution. I tend to edit while I write which is not a good thing. LOL. Write first then edit later, preferably a day or two after, so that you would have fresh perspective and see the errors clearly according to one editor ^^ I do it in batches or per bullet in my outline so that proof reading won't be such a pain.

-Keeper

5. Ali

Ali New Member

This thread has been amazing. I'm a new writer just finished the first draft of my first short story. Reading through all your experiences has not only given me useful advice but confirmed to me that I'm on the right track and am not alone. So I've just joined the forum and am very excited about it.

Being new to writing I wanted to analyse the process of writing my first story quite closely. The biggest surprise was realising that my seemingly gargantuan effort only averaged 2.5 hours a day over the whole writing period. Emotionally it took up much more space though. Here is the analysis of my process that I made:

1.Think of a story: I thought of different scenes or characters which I could develop. I chose one particular character I liked, whom I saw in the street years ago, and tried to create a plot in my head around him
    2.Write down the basic plot: the plot and characters got jumbled in my head so I wrote down the main points of the narrative in chronological order. When I got stuck I brainstormed on a piece of paper and asked friends to help me fill in parts of the plot.
    3.Start writing at the beginning: not knowing where else to start i started at the beginning. By trial and error I worked out the best way to write was just sitting in front of the keyboard and bashing away.
    4.Keep bashing away : follow the list of scenes I had prepared and struggle through them one at a time making modifications to the plot as you go.
    5.Re-read the whole thing and work on characters/linking passages and descriptions
    6.Re-read and split the text into better fitting “scenes”: after restructuring it the text was rewritten in places to smooth it out
    7.Leave it a week and ask a friend for comments
    8.Re-read and look at central theme: I developed the theme and unified the imagery throughout the story to help clarity
    9.Re-write beginning and end
    10.Realise you’ve tried to do too much in too little space and shelve it for later

And I approximated some figures and conclusions if it's useful:

My first draft of 3500 words was written over 66 days in a total of 148 hours. It can be broken down as follows:
    ■Planning/sit-down mulling: 16 hours
    ■Writing the main body of text: 64 hours
    ■Editing the text for publishing: 68 hours

I averaged 2.5 hours of writing a day

Conclusions:
    ■I can’t believe that what felt like a marathan effort was in fact only 2.5 hours of writing a day over the whole period. This has blown out of the water the idea that I have to “lock myself away” or that I have to have sabbatical time off work in order get my writing done. All I have to do is find a couple of hours a day with maybe a bit extra at weekends and I can have a normal life. This is a revelation and a spur to better organise my time.
    ■I spent longer revising the text than writing it. I think this will sort itself out with experience but also with better planning at the beginning…I need to work on my planning technique
    ■I should definately think through more what the story is about so that the format I am choosing ( a short story in this case) is the appropriate form
    ■maybe i shouldn’t start at the beginning but at a key scene
    ■maybe leave the beginning and end til last as i have re-written them a lot
    ■think through the characters better so that you avoid making mistakes in where the emphasis of the story actually lies
    ■organise my time better so that writing does not dominate my life. For example, maybe 2 hours in the morning every day will be enough

Thanks again to all of you for sharing here. It has really spurred me on,

Warm regards

Alex Holmes

6. El Chacal

El Chacal New Member

I think of an awesome opening line. Something to really hook the readers. And then I add more obscenities.

7. lallylello

lallylello New Member

what a fascinating thread!
    At the risk of sounding like a politician, I think I do a bit of everything.
    Occasionally I think of a killer opener like El Chacal and then the rest just flows (with a sprinkling of obscenities, but only if it adds to the story:p), other times the story just jumps up out of nowhere and slaps me round the face (usually late at night when I'm trying to get to sleep), but lately I've taken a new approach of NOT WRITING ANYTHING DOWN for at least a few days and letting the story kick around in my head. I write bits in my head but nothing on paper beyond very sketchy notes, then, when I can't stand it any longer, I start writing and it tumbles out. I've also found that I write better if I write longhand: when you type, it automatically looks professional and polished, and it's too easy to hit the delete key, but when you write longhand you tend to be a little more careful and considered. IMHO.
    Anyone agree, or am I just a bit odd?

8. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Lallylello - I think I'm the same as you. I spend ages think on a plot or idea. I find sleeping on some idea's helps aswell, or on some rare occasions, having a dream about a story.

9. Dean Blake

Dean Blake New Member

My general writing process: Live life, be in a certain mood, write (while listening to lots of music).

I don't often write plot outlines when it comes to short stories. Sometimes I'll have the whole plot in my head and then blurt it out; however, a lot of my favourite and most commended short stories were born out of the blue. I do a lot of editing, of course.

When it comes to my novels, I'm a lot more anal. I tend to brew the stories for months/years in my head before an outline is made. After the outline, I then begin my first draft.

10. josie101

josie101 New Member

Your writing enviornment and habits

I was just wondering, when you guys want to write a novel, short story, or poem, What is your writing enviornment like? Do you find the most comfy room in the house boil some hot chocolate and begin writing? or Do you retreat to your busy work table and write like crazy? Also, in what way do you get our ideas flowing into your brain?

11. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Most of my poetry and the few short stories I have written at my writing table in the corner of my room. My main novel work, however, is another matter all together. Having severe ADHD, I have had some hurdles to overcome. Music became my stabilizing influence. With my headphones in and computer going, I find the busiest, hey-go-mad place where I won't get stepped on, (the campus commons, the library, and bookstores are a few favorite hunts) and just write. It is hard to explain what happens...

It is as if my music, my imagination swallow me whole. The world falls away and my fingers fly, the story gushing like a torrent. The chaos around me forces me to focus, allowing me to escape the mundanity of reality. Even if it is just fifteen minutes, I am free.

- Darkkin

12. rick_danger

rick_danger Member

I try to write two pages a week, making it up as i go along.

13. SwordAndSorcery

SwordAndSorcery New Member

Personally, my concept for a story comes to me, I then think of how it should be constructed properly, I then create the piece, or as much of it as I am motivated to complete, and I then compare it to my own literary inspirations.

It is a fairly streamlined process, but it works for me :)

14. EstherAnn

EstherAnn New Member

I've tried lots of different ways. Probably the thing I use most is just an idea and then I imagine what would happen next, and how would it all end. Then I try to think of other steps for inbetween. Other times I just start writing with the idea and see where the characters lead me.

15. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

I have to take time to think about my idea for a while before going into any of the writing process. After realizing where I want the novel/story to go, I still won't be writing it just yet, but I'll think of little snippets I want to be in my book--just bits of inspiration, if you will--and I'll make sure to jot them down--be it a little description, something a character says, something that happens, etc.

Normally when I start thinking of expanding my characters into three-dimensional people, I'll start writing about them, but a lot of times that doesn't always work out. I can get the key points about them and make sure to stay with them, but their persona sometimes changes.

Such as with my antagonist. I was going to make him a scared schizophrenic who always thought his ex-wife was going to make sure he was kept locked in the asylum, but he didn't like that. So I gave him an attitude adjustment. He's still schizophrenic--hears and sees his dead father at times, thinks his wife's always plotting against him, but he's not the scared kind. He's the totally-obsessed-with-getting-his-daughter-back-no-matter-what kind. He's obviously got a bit more mental issues than schizo, but still.

So writing out character sheets never seems to stick for me.

I just come up with a single sentence for the plot and stick with that, and the same goes with the setting(s)--the places that the characters are going to be in, such as Rick's house, Raiven's apartment and former house, the house of gods, and the different...obstacles the gods throw out.

The writing itself is the hardest part for me, mainly because I'm ADD. Everything is a distraction. And I can never seem to turn my internal editor off, so I always try to go back and edit a sentence ten different times before moving to the next. One of the things I normally do is head over to Starbucks and write there. I think because I like the atmosphere, plus I can't back down from a hot chocolate. Aside from that, music doesn't really help me write that much, it's just background sound and it's just...there, I guess.

Revision is tedious, but fun, imo. I get rid of all of the weak words, by searching them in "find" and highlighting them all. Then I try to make those sentences stronger and everything. Adverbs get nuked if they don't really serve much of a purpose for the sentence anyway. I look for a lot of crap when I'm revising, take stuff out and add stuff in.

And there you have it from me. :)

16. Hettyblue

Hettyblue Member

This thread is fascinating as I am at a stage where I cannot say what my process is exactly as it is the discipline to just bloody well sit down and write was my sticking point.

I have managed 10 chapters of a work in progress thanks to a couple of bottles of wine and a bargain with a friend ('you show me yours I show you mine') and we have been exchanging chapters for a while. Having no plan as it started almost on a whim I have been in essence been making it up as I go along and with my audience in mind (leave 'em wanting more). That said as it progresses I have been gathering bits of reserch, reading round the subject and trying to outline a plot but I want to let the story develop organically while going back and rewriting sections of the earlier chapters as required to fit in with character/ plot developments.

Not sure this would work for everyone but it gave me the required rocket up the backside to sit down and do what I have wanted to for years.

17. modus

modus New Member

With my first attempted novel, I'm developing the process as I go. So far I've made world maps and graphical representations of character arcs. I indicate where they intercept and I label each mini-arc with a name and short description. For example, one of my characters is lead into an mini-arc where he works in a noble's manor for his talents. I describe what he learns there and what motivates him to ultimately flee as a stowaway.

The other thing I do is create a world Encylopedia. I include absolutely everything. Races, folklore stories, animal species, trades, metals, historical figures, characters, sports, etc. So when I feel like my arcs are fully outlined and my Encyclopedia represents the world well, I'll begin writing chapter-by-chapter. I'm sure many more things will be added to the Encyclopedia as I think of them, but this is how I'm trying to form a foundation. I'm actually at the point where I'm ready to start the first chapter. Dunno why I'm putting it off.

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Possibly because you're too busy world-building. Not meant to be facetious - but I've gotten so involved in research at times that the writing becomes secondary to my research obsession. Not to mention that by being so consumed with the foundation, you're 'safe' from actually having to write the story.

19. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I write best earlier in the day, but I can't have anyone else around me. I can have some music on, but if Radiohead or Zep comes on I usually zone out to that instead of concentrating on my work. Sometimes I'll put on the TV for background noise, but mostly I like to sit by an open window and have the outside be my background noise. Wind rustling the leaves in the trees, birds singing, cicadas, that sort of thing. Right now I usually do the bulk of my writing when my toddler is napping.

My downfall is getting distracted when a new email comes in and chit chatting with various friends and my mom. Or checking the boards I'm on, one of which I'm an admin/mod so when something crops up there I have to deal with it. Or like someone else said doing research and spending far too much time focusing on that.

20. modus

modus New Member

Guess I'll just redirect all that energy into style, pacing, characterization, and force myself to stop adding to the Encyclopedia for now.

21. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'd just direct it to the writing - you'll find that other stuff along the way. ;)

22. sadeyes

sadeyes New Member

don't forget brainstorming, man!!

I know what you mean. That is so easy to do, but I enjoy writing so much that I can barely wait to write the actual piece. you know?

thank you for the information!! now i know how to start off...

23. Annojo

Annojo New Member

For columns and short stories I dont have a plan. I associate on a subject that has drawn my attention and kind of think of a logic order for the things that pop into my mind. Hmm... this does sound a bit like a plan, so okay I work kinda plan-wise. I haven't written a novel (yet), probably because I never really planned a plot for it. This thought and said: today might may a good day to start plotting a novel :)

24. claire_h

claire_h New Member

Organisation

Hi all,

I am working on my first novel and have the basic outline plotted out and know my main characters well enough. I am getting a bit bogged down in jumping from one part to the next. For example, I am doing a bit of research (it is a historical novel) and then jumping to trying to flesh out my minor characters a bit more, then jumping back into the plot and trying to figure out the dynamic between my two main protagnonists.

I am organised in the sense that I have different folders on my computer for different characters, plot etc, however I feel like I am going round in circles. Just as I think I have decided on one scene, I do some more research and discover another potential plot device or scene and then I keep reshuffling.

I just wondered maybe I should stick to one area at a time? Develop my characters and then let them drive the plot.

Any suggestions for seasoned writers?

25. ThievingSix

ThievingSix New Member

I gather all my material as print outs, sit down, and write...and write....and write. On paper of course :D. Call me old fashioned.

Being near a computer makes you want to research more into every little detail and nuance. I find ideas flow better when the brain isn't thinking about how to fill gaps in knowledge on Google, but rather doing the best with what it's got. You can go back later and flesh out characters if you feel their lacking, but write with a pen, and you'll realise how many idea's actually get lost between "wiki" links and Yahoo answers.

Aside from that i find that doing "x" amount of research at the start, and doing no more until i've written a sizeable amount is the best method. That way i'm reasonably happy with what i've got, and any further research is used to improve it or check my facts but not to change the story unless the initial research was way off.