When is a person no longer a person?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Oh, I thought you were talking about physical bodies, not souls. ( I was thinking Thanatopsis-esque. )

So, why does a soul have to go to another person? How do we know what a soul wants to do? When I die and am simply a "soul", will I still be able to control my thoughts? If I am, what if I decide I want to become a leaf or something?

Sorry for all the questions, just really want to know.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Because its the souls duty. The souls duty is to bring life to another person. the souls duty is not to die as a soul. It would be disruptive and disrespectful too all the other souls.

You can't become a leaf its a leaf's duty to bring back life to another leaf. Its your duty to bring life to another person.

3. Cicero

Cicero Banned

"How do you know that's the soul's duty?", is what I'm asking. Isn't what is disrespectful and disruptive subjective to the soul?

And if I am to bring back life to "another person", then what am I now, sitting here in this body? Is this not me? If I am simply a soul, and when I go back into another's body I bring them life, then what am I? Do souls not think, or reason, or have feelings?

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Its whats been programmed into a soul. Once the body that it is living in dies it must bring life to another body.
    Its programmed to survive that way. But it just can't go into any body.

Its like those toys where you put the geometric shape back into its normal place. A square goes with a square it can't go into a circle.

5. Cicero

Cicero Banned

But how do you know that it is what is programmed into the soul, that it must bring life to another body, that it must bring life to another body?

You've told me how you think it works, which is fine. But I want to know why you think it works how you say it works.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Because we are the souls.
    The souls gave life to our body. Therefore we know what the souls are programmed to do.
    Their are just people who don't listen to their souls.

7. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Alright, then.

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yeah.
    That was hard to make people understand.

9. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Well, I still don't. But, I don't think I ever will, so I give. :p

10. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Scientifically speaking, a person will always be a person until death.

Psychologically speaking, in my own terms, a person is no longer a person when he or she loses complete control of themselves mentally or physically, to a certain extent. (I will not go into where that line is drawn. ;) )

Why?

Mental-A person is a human being with working mental processes and the ability to reason normally. They have a conscience and are ever learning. If something interferes with this, I feel that the person is no longer a person. They are just a water sac, basically.

Physical-People are expected to function fully. If this 'person' cannot do that without the help of a person, then I do not really consider them a complete person.

Ex: People in comas are often refered to as 'vegetables,' because they cannot function without the help of another, be it mentally or physically. They are not, in my opinion, a complete person.

-Sorry if this offended anyone, but hey. You asked! :)

11. ThreeSided

ThreeSided Banned

Scientifically: A human becomes a human when fertilization occurs, and stops being a human when they pass away.

Politically: The line for when a person is considered a person has not been drawn, but it is somewhere is the range between the moment of fertilization, and the moment of conception.

As I said in the abortion thread, scientific and political definitions can be dangerous, because they follow words to the exact. Issues like this are better explained through.... well, explanation.

The way I see it, a person becomes a person once they have the ability to think and process information around them. We all hear about how things can effect a baby mentally while it is in the womb, so obviously this takes place before conception. When exactly this is, however, I do not know...

When does a person stop being a person? Well, likewise, I'd say it is when they stop being able to process information around them, AND lose the ability to think. Considering that no one, as far as I've heard, has ever lost both of those without dieing, I'll have to say that it is at the moment of death that a person is no longer a person.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well you have all made wonderful points and this has been very interesting indeed. But I still believe that you are a person/human the moment of fertilization and you continue to be a person for eternity. Nothing stops that. Not even being forgotten.

But like I said this is my belief.

13. ThreeSided

ThreeSided Banned

Explanation?

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at its simplest, a person stops being a person only when he/she becomes a lower form of animal life, or a vegetable, or a mineral... otherwise, semantically--once a person, always a person...

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Basically I believe that once fertilization occurs you are a person because that is the moment you are alive. Yeah sure you are completely dependant on your mother at this point, feeding off her and what not. But you are still alive.

I believe that you remain a person no matter what for all eternity as how can a soul die? A soul lives on forever, it never dies. A soul is immortal. You can't rip someone's soul out and kill it. Nor can you kill someone's spirit.

In life we become a part of something big. A family. Our genetics are carried on and so a part of us never really dies. For we are still in the heart and soul of our families.

That's my spin on it anyways.