When Is It Okay To Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HellOnEarth, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analog Worms

Analog Worms New Member

I guess I've always been a bit of a selfish S.O.B

I'm also a coward.

I can't wait to blow my brains out.

2. E-bow

E-bow Banned

Sorry its hard to take you seriously with that weird avatar. I've pretty much emtied my barrel on WordWizard but if there's anything you'd like to discuss don't be afraid, or if its private gimme a PM. That always makes me feel special. I would do a smiley face but the ones here aren't funny.

3. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

You cant be a hater about how I feel on the subject. It is just how I feel. I cant help that-just like you cant help but feel the way You feel. Even though stuff like this doesnt make sense to me-I do sympathize with the fact that you feel you life is crappy enough to end. I hope you get some help and make it through the tough times. P.s. Yes e bow you totally emtied the barrel on me but it was all in interesting discussion type of way. Hopefully I have gotten some clear points across.....it was all a big whirl wind haha

4. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Today I found out that a friend of mine on another board, Stiletto One (also known as Stiletto Null) committed suicide.

I'm going to miss you, Stiletto.

5. Robert

Robert Banned

Sorry to hear that, ST.

Cheers,
    Rob

6. Myst

Myst Active Member

Lol, I think you stole one of my lines.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

7. poetryliberates

poetryliberates Banned

Also sorry to hear that. i know the feeling it has happened to me once.

my condolences

PL

8. forgotenmemory

forgotenmemory New Member

Sigmend Freud commited suicide?! NOO!

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't think that you should ever commit suicide.
    And that there isn't a proper time to commit suicide.
    You should always talk to someone about how you feel. Because you are suppose to love yourself. And you should never let anyone tell you how to live or die.
    If you are to wrapped up in what other people think and commit suicide I just think its plain stupid.
    The only person who should choose about your life and what you are suppose to die is you.
    Suicide is taking the cowards way out.
    No offense to anyone when I said this. I wasn't flaming or I hope I wasn't.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Edger Allen Poe killed himself after years of chronic depression and maddness.
    This, I can fully understand.

For me, it is up to the person in question to make the desision his/her self.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Suicide is the ultimate act of cowardice and manipulation.

The suicidal person abrogates all responsibility and leaves pain and guilt for everyone else to clean up.

Particularly when it follows one or more murders, it's the quintessential "F*** you".

12. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

After reading this entire thread (I know, I need a life), this is the only thing that cries out for me to respond to.

What you don't seem to understand is that Clinical Depression is NOT a reaction to "burdens and obstacles in the everyday." Clinical Depression is a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain that is beyond the control of the sufferer.

To just say "get over it," is like telling a person with diabetes, or high blood pressure, or arthritis to get over it. Clinical Depression is a physical condition that just happens to have psychological symptoms.

Most people with clinical depression (or other mental illnesses), would love more than anything to get over it or "snap out of it" as they are often advised to do. If they could, they would.

Sorry for the ramble/mini-rant. *stepping off the soapbox.*

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not always true. Clinical depression may be from a genetically based chemical imbalance, som get there through drug use, and still others adopt the symptoms to withdraw from their responsibilities.

I was married to one of the latter. Her recovery was miraculous when she was motivated to stand on her own.

I don't doubt that very many of the clinically depressed have a true neurotransmitter disorder. But it is easier to fake than you might suppose.

Depression in response to the burdens and obstacles of the everyday is called Situational Depression. When the stresses are mitigated, the depression lifts in a reasonably short period after.

14. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Hence the reason I specified Clinical Depression in my post. Another name for Situational Depression is Reactive Depression.

15. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I totally disagree with this! I would hate for someone to live in suffering for my sake, or have someone become so dependant on me that they would want me to suffer just so i could technically be alive.

16. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Suicide is a lame way out. You can find ways to get help and figure things out so you don't die naturally. The only time I can see coceivably commiting suicide is if you're about to be devoured by a horde of blood thirsty zombies. :p

17. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I disagree with a lot of what's being/been said.

Suicide isn't a selfish act. If you're actually willing to take your own life, you are not thinking about other people and you definitely aren't thinking in a 'normal' frame of mind. If you are that miserable and feel that useless, often suicide seems like the best option, not only for yourself, but for those around you. The majority of people who commit suicide or are suicidal were/are not thinking about the selfishness or manipulation of the act.

Again, if you get to the point where you feel like suicide is the only option for you, you are not in a stable frame of mind and you are not going to be thinking about the effect of it on those around you.

More often than not people who are willing to commit suicide feel as though it would be a relief, not only for them, but for their family and friends. If you are depressed enough, it's easy to feel like an absolute waste of space to everyone around you.

18. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

wow this is a old thread. I was thinking...hmm I am not going to get into this again (thinking that this thread was new)...and then I kept reading and..WHAM there is my posts...many many posts.....

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...any time a mentally-responsible adult wants to...

...it's not my right or anyone's right to approve or disapprove of what others want to do in re ending their lives... we should all have the freedom to do what we want with our own bodies, as long as it doesn't harm another... and by 'harm' i don't mean 'emotionally'...

20. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

It is never okay to commit suicide.

You have a life, live it to its best. Even if you're terminally ill, make the best out of it that you can.

21. lessa

lessa New Member

Speaking as a person left I would be against it. I would feel guilty the rest of my life thinking of ways I could have helped the person overcome the reason they took their life.

Speaking as a person acting on the thought. If I was at a stage where someone had to feed me, change my diapers, wash me and watch me deteriorate to such an extent as it was painful for them. I would be for it.

But committing suicide because my one true love loves another heighth of stupidity.
    I need that one last fix to get me through the day. I don't think so.
    My parents want me in at 10 and that is just such a low blow to my esteem. grow up.

there are so many stupid reasons to end it all.
    there are not nearly so many good reasons.

If you don't like life change it. Make it something you do like.

22. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    Exactly what lessa said. I totally agree. But, there are a few situations where I could understand why a person would go suicidal--some of which would only happen in books, lol! If the person was suffering horribly, I could understand why they would want to die. A lot of people on chemo say they want to commit suicide, because it isn't worth living through all the pain. I can understand that.

23. Odinschild

Odinschild New Member

In the end, its all down to the person. But think about what you're leaving behind. Think about the people that love you, even if you think they don't. I tried to commit suicide about six years ago, right before High School. I realized, about a year after, that it was one of the stupidest things I could've ever done. Just recently, my friend tried to take her own life. I felt completely betrayed that she never tried to get in contact with me to help her through it.

I'm not going to say that its never right to commit suicide. I just say that you should put some really serious thought into your decision.

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I understand reasoning behind suicide. I've fully wanted to take that knife and slice it across my wrists. I've urged for death numerous times when I have been extremely low. I have just been lucky to battle my way past it and to have the wonderful support of my boyfriend.

And Suicide is a selfish thing. And yes, horrid for those left behind, I understand that. But maybe those that have taken their own lives got sick of worrying about everyone else and decided something for them.

I mean, bloody hell, I wanted to do myself in- hundreds of times. And what stopped me? Not family or friends, the fact that I am gutless and there is always something around the corner. The anticpation of change.

So I don't think Suicide is necessarily weak. I think it's a bloody strong decission to make.

25. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I'm young, so I haven't really been--depressed. Although one time I did take out a sharp metal thingy and pushed it into my finger, just to see what it would feel like. It hurt. It was very thin, like a needle, not like a knife. But yeah. That's the closest I've ever gotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.