when people think fiction is true

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Feb 7, 2019.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd say take your own advice and report it if it happens again - the mods are pretty fair and no one is mod proof no matter how long they've been here. That said Tenderiser is right that we've had in influx of super aggressive new posters in the last month or two... I wasn't particularly thinking of you as an example of that either until you got onto it with her here....

Also if she was referring to you she'd say so , me and Tenderiser don't always see eye to eye but one thing she isn't is passive agressive

jannert and Tenderiser like this.
  2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

If she was apologizing to me, I would certainly accept it. But using an apology to someone else to continue her own attack on someone else is hardly laudable.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Lets all draw a line shall we - before Wrey descends from Asgard with Moljnir in hand. You and Tenderiser can get a room later and kiss and make up/ sort it out hand to hand

4. David Lee

David Lee Member

Yeah, that's not what happened.

5. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I recently reported "Go fuck yourself" - nothing happened. I have no interest in testing Mod loyalties. If YOU want to discuss forum members, than I'll discuss forum members.

6. David Lee

David Lee Member

Agreed.

BayView likes this.
  7. big soft moose

That was in speech marks as dialogue - the thing with that member is that they are... different. Most of us spend a lot of time wondering what that particular poster is on about , however its clear that he wasn't telling you to go fuck yourself … that definitely wouldn't be tolerated.

However my original point was that the Mods only loyalty is to the forum - Wrey and I get on pretty well, but if I deserved it he'd ban me on the spot, which is as it should be.

Anyway as I said lets leave it and go back to discussing whatever this thread was about originally

8. David Lee

David Lee Member

True, and for my part, I linked to something another member said about @matwoolf because it was happening again. It was more a dig at Mat than you and I didn't mean to fuel it in a negative way.

9. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Why do you take digs at members, and why do you think that is 0kay?

10. big soft moose

Because that's what happens in communities when its light hearted and when they don't mind (Mat has the hide of a pissed off rhinoceros he's practically impossible to offend)

However the dog with a bone refusal to let this drop, and constantly taking things the wrong way (potentially intentionally) goes back to what Tenderiser was originally saying - giving you the benefit of the doubt, explaining how interaction on forums work is a mum job and I'm too old and ugly to be anyone's mum so I'm putting you on ignore (Incidentally I highly recommend the ignore function for getting along without this kind of thing kicking off in the first place … have a nice life)

11. David Lee

David Lee Member

ahh, don't try to spin what I just said.

12. David Lee

David Lee Member

I like @matwoolf and know that he would laugh at my reference

13. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Again, here's someone using more passive aggressive methods to publicly shame a member rather than choosing polite discourse or polite silence.

Should I report it? :rolleyes:

14. big soft moose

You've done it now, Dave... you've summoned the unmentionable one :D

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I'm sorry @Fallow, I'm at the computer a lot these last couple of weeks. Once jobs start turning again I'll be more intermittent.

I like language and sometimes turn all uppity prune on the subject of language and my perception of rigour. And death thread is my scene, my hot topic, I was itchy to contribute.

We got off on a bad footing when I nosied in on a pointless squabble two days back. I'm sorry to give over bad vibes on-line. It's a horrible feeling when you get targeted.

@David Lee joins my dartboard of destruction alongside the soft hairy one.

:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    jannert, David Lee and Fallow like this.
  16. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you for being cordial.

matwoolf likes this.
  17. David Lee

David Lee Member

#grouphug

Tenderiser and matwoolf like this.
  18. big soft moose

careful hugging mat - you don't know where those paws have been

Tenderiser, David Lee and matwoolf like this.
  19. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Or where they'll go. The last person who hugged mat hasn't closed his eyes in the six months since. He just stares at the ceiling and occasionally bursts out, "I HAVE SEEN THE NIGHT."

jimmyjones, BayView and matwoolf like this.
  20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I had to laugh, seeing the start to this thread @deadrats !

I've only written one (huge) novel, but lots of people have beta-read for me, including people whom I know well. NONE of them have picked up on the few instances of slightly autobiographical truth in it (in at least two places, word-for-word truth. There is one person on the planet besides me who will recognise those spots.)

However several have assumed autobiographical truth in a couple of VERY strange places—which are absolutely not true at all! One of the betas said, "You couldn't have made that up unless you experienced it." Erm. Well, thanks for the 'compliment?' but ...I did make it up. Totally. NOTHING like that has ever happened to me, or to anybody else I know.

I just played 'what if' till I got a scenario I wanted. What is the worst thing that could happen to this person? Something he could never tell anybody. No, not that. Not that either. Aha, THAT. Now what would make it even worse? What if....etc. That's how I 'make things up.' It's heavy use of imagination. Then, once I have the scenario in mind, then I put 'myself' in the shoes of that character. What would it be like if I....

That's a lot different from telling myself, "I've had this particular experience. How can I fictionalise it?"

jimmyjones and deadrats like this.
  21. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Off-topic (as if any of this thread has been on topic!) but I had a bit of a realisation about this recently. When I'm trying to come up with something for a story, I know I should always disregard my first idea because it's bound to be the predictable, boring, cliché one that everybody things of first. Sometimes the second and third are, too.

jimmyjones, deadrats and jannert like this.
  22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Spot-on. That's so often true. We're not as automatically unique as we think we are! :)

23. camphore

camphore Member

In college I wrote a short story about a kid who is murdered via heroin overdose, and the class was convinced I was a drug dealer. 100% made up the plot, the characters, all of it. Best thing I've ever written. Pre-word processor days, and I lost the hard-copy. Damn.

Today, I take a lot of cues from realty and experience, both mine and others, and twist them just enough so they aren't directly traceable. If it seems to hit too close to home, I run it by the guilty parties first.

24. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

wrote a piece about a young man with a fixation on superman as a kid and the idea of turning back time. so he jumps off the roof a building in an attempt to "jump through time" to fix his crappy childhood.

....my aunt proof read it because she's a retired English teacher. she called my mom and said she needed to have me evaluated and asked her if she'd read what I wrote.

I've never asked her to read my stuff again.

my parents are slowly starting to come to the realization that I do not write about me or events in my life. I'ts fiction. But still, what my aunt did/said turned me off of having family (with the exception of my siblings) read my stuff. It would be nice if they read my stuff and took the "me" out of it and read/interpret it as fiction.
    My brother is a musician, and I used to envy how he could practice his compositions with them as the audience, but it's not the same with writing and having them as readers...

25. Intangible Girl

Intangible Girl Senior Member

When I was 16 I wrote a (pretty derivative and not very good) short story about a young man who pays a prostitute to go to prom with him. For a sheltered, obedient girl it felt terribly rebellious, but I handed it to my parents because they have always supported my writing. A few days later they sat me down with very grave faces, the story on the table between us, and asked me if there was anything I needed to tell them.

I didn't ask them to read my stuff after that.