When to start the story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lea`Brooks, Feb 20, 2014.

1. CDAbbott

CDAbbott New Member

What you are writing sounds very interesting but you need to get your idea centralised. You original idea is fine but you must decide what your story is about.

If it is about her transformation into a queen you need to decide what that is, is it running from the responsibility, growing into it etc. However it sounds to me you story is more about how she cope with life after becoming queen, alienated from her friends, forced to mingle with people who don't see her as an equal and some that see her as an idol. in this case the past is irrelevant as we will see her personality come out in the challenges she will face, the way she reacts.

Also I love fractured structures, but you need to write your story idea chronologically then fracture and move around.

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Oh, I have a story planned out. I just didn't tell all of you about it. lol What I described earlier is only the backstory. There is a lot of her coming into her own, yes, but she's working through it while everything else is going on. Her finding herself is really just the side-story. There is much, MUCH more I have planned, from betrayals to death threats and quite possibly a trip around the country. lol I ideally would like this story to be a trilogy. But just in case the first novel isn't successful, I'm going to try to end it so that it would work as a stand-alone or that I could build on it later.

3. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

hush. write now.

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

:p I already did my word count for the day. If I write too much at a time, I get burnt out so I have to do it in spurts. lol

5. Amphetamine Stoat

Amphetamine Stoat New Member

Generally I've heard it said that one is supposed to start the story "when something changes" so I would suggest option 3. If you practice at it a bit, you'll be able to reveal plenty about your MC and the side characters in a short time.