When to use the pseudonym?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Rumwriter, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

may i ask why you are touting that publisher, bryan?... are you connected to it in some way, or have had books published by them?

if they're not a free venue, i think it may be against site rules to include that in your post...

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

They are my publisher, and I'm not "touting" anyone, nor do I benefit from it.

I mentioned them because I am familiar with how they work and I feel comfortable sending someone their way.

If it is against the rules then I have no problem in removing the reference, [which I have just done]. As far as I can see, the rules relate to advertising or promotion not disinterested advice.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for the info... you may want to add your recommendation to the publishing section, then... there is a category there for just that purpose...

https://www.writingforums.org/publishing/publisher-discussion/

4. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Active Member

DEFINITELY use a pen name, it will allow you to get beyond the pale from being held back by societies constraints and controls.

On publishers - it would be best to use a third party / agent / lawyer IF they insist on your 'real' name.
    For payment details, bank arrangements you'd have to be sneaky and use your real name in the guise of a 'friend' maybe???

5. Drmoses

Drmoses New Member

Let me ask this. My real name is EXTREMELY Finnish. So much so that it is insanely rare to stumble upon anyone who can properly pronounce it.

To me, this seems like a clear cut reason to use a pen name. So my question is for anyone who also has a bit of a tongue twister for a name. Did you choose to use a pseudonym or is the challenging name not an issue?