Where are you in your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Taylee91, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Todays writing should be fun I get to meet Aunts Lilac and Lavender Cream for the first time lol Goal is to make it to 20K today.

I am very excited so far they have only spoken to Joe on the phone and they seem a lot of fun.

2. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Woke up at six am to my characters arguing and now have three pages of notes on relationship dynamics in the group. Plot keeps trickling in as I world build and I'm planning on continuing with the rough writing later on after school. I never do things in order, but I would like to get back to writing. I need to see how Lucillia plans to get out of the mess she's gotten herself into. I swear that woman has no sense of danger...

3. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I'm within the second or third chapter of my story.

Though, I am procrastinating a lot.

4. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I am completely rewriting the beginning so it matches and reinforces the second half. I still have the ending, the last chapter to consider, but I'm toying with some hook paragraphs to send out my first query soon, perhaps this weekend...:)

5. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I'm now just over 3000 words in. And I started this morning before school. :D

6. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Haha, when I first started on my story, I'd wake up at the crack of dawn too so I could get some work in before work and etc. Oh, yeah, notes are really good. Have you written more notes than actually prose? I've written nearly three composition books full of notes and ramblings while trying to find what I wanted to write :)

Yay!

7. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Plotting out the sequel to my 1st book.

It's so nice when you don't have to deal with new character introductions. Only now I have to use what is already established and create some new trouble for them to get themselves into.

8. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Currently, I think I have about the same amount of notes as prose, probably more but a good chunk of my notes have stayed in my head or on random pieces of paper that I have lost at the moment, darn.

Progress Update: I figured out where Dahmin and Inahn fit into the story, they now have a storyline running parallel to Lucillia and her danger. Hmm, now I just need to keep writing until they show me how it all fits together and how they all end up together. Blasted characters, leave me out of everything!

As a note: I'm roughly 4000 words in now and apart from a few small notes I'm done for the night. Dang, this thread may be a way to keep me going. I'll want to tell you guys whenever I hit thresholds! 10K is my next goal, along with figuring out two more 'bits' as I call them, of plot.

9. sadiemaddie

sadiemaddie New Member

Now I for sure feel lame, I can't even get nine words in before hitting the delete button and staring at my screen with 'the deer in the head light look'! good job guys on your success

10. Taylee91

^How many endless nights have I done the same thing. . . .Staring at that screen, almost yelling at it to stop staring back at me! haha. Maybe try writing longhand, you know the old fashioned way. That'll make your work not so prone to erasing :)

11. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

Sounds familiar. :D

I agree about this thread keeping things moving. It's nice to share progress achievements as well as gripes, so here goes.

Progress update: Got through about 1k words last night and left the computer feeling like it was total manure, but I guess I'll find out when I get back on tonight.

My characters were all talk last night, and it feels like it's been that way lately... thinking there is going to have to be some major changes during revision.

Does anyone else find their outlines constantly changing as your story progresses... mine does. I have about a gazillion versions of my story outline now. It would be interesting to compare the current with the very first one. :eek:

12. Taylee91

^Yeah, my finer details in my outlines change or shift every so often. I find it a bit frustrating, but it's just my story growing. That's a good thing.

Haha, yeah, sometimes my characters just talk more than anything else. I think that's a good thing too. When I come up with a scene where I know what happens, I just scribble out the dialogue and leave the description and setting out until later. Nothing seems more poignant at that moment than what they have to say.

13. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

^ good point. I do feel that the setting and details are easily added in revision, so I guess I should get so frustrated when it all comes out dialogue.

It's weird though, I know some people say their pacing is too quick. I feel that my pacing it very slow. It scares me because I know there will be a lot to add when I revise, and my word count is already getting sooo high. Hopefully I end up cutting just as much I guess.

I wanted so badly for my story to take place over a longer period of time (several weeks maybe). I've added in some time passages (saying things along the lines of "several days passed without much change in routine"), and STILL... the entire thing may take two weeks. I tend to give a real blow by blow through time. -sigh :)

14. Taylee91

^I don't think that's a bad thing. I know my story will take a course over a year or so. It's the only way for my characters to develop through their arcs.

15. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^Speaking of timelines, be happy you guys KNOW the period of time yours takes place over. I don't have an outline, I figure out things that happen then write them, I never know more than a scene or two ahead of me. Without an outline I had no idea how long they are moving, or what is realistic based on their situation. Ah well, that's what revision is for, right?

16. Taylee91

^Yeah it is. But do you know what your ending is? I agree with authors who say this is important for you to figure out early on in your writing journey. It keeps you going on towards a goal, you know? :)

Haha, well my outline/timeling isn't perfect. I just have a general idea of what happens and when. The play by play would be impossible to figure out right now. I have too many scenes to insert in specific places and a lot of conlict going on.

17. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

Apparently I'm too tired to actually write tonight, but...

I went through and fixed here and there, and named my remaining chapters. There are only 4.5 left out of 20. That is exciting!:D:D

18. Elgaisma

I have a nasty head cold - kids are going to stay with people - have to make decision sleep or story. Probably sleep but will see. Would like to get it to 25K today then think I need to delete it back a bit to incorporate the new plotline properly - at present I just have a note about how to do it - that is new. I may even know who dunnit :)

19. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I'm approximately 20,000 words into my first draft of my novel, but as I do it all freehand, I'm 'one and a half notebooks' in.

I kind of feel like I'm rushing everything at the moment, but I figure when I've got the solid draft there, I can flesh the whole thing out.

On the matter of timelines, only one of my MCs has any comprehension of time at all (it's set in the afterlife, and they've been there for too long to understand time as the living do) so I tend to not worry about it. There are regular conversations between my 2 favourite characters that you end up realising last days, simply because they just don't understand time anymore. It's really fun to write, :)

20. Taylee91

Right now I'm working on one of minor characters and somehow changed her character completely yesterday. At first I thought it sounded like a good thing, but now I'm not liking her at all. If I keep going, she'll turn into a cunning, all-knowing personality who has the final say in everything. ??? I'm really beginning to like hate her. . . .

21. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Make her have an accident... :cool:

22. Taylee91

^Haha! I could, but she's supposed to be someone important. And from all my previous notes, she's meant to be an emotional character too. Like basically her whole world she's know for her entire existence is falling apart.

23. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I'm editing my ms, hopefully for the final time...

It's been some process.

24. Del

Del New Member

Where am I in my story...
    I think I'm not even up to the halfway point, still much to do.
    So many plot points to tell, characters to discover and SO much stuff to explain.
    Once this final copy's finished, I will be glad.

25. Elgaisma

I have a character like that she is downright evil and I hate her lol She has provided me with some amazing storylines and quirks though - she is responsible for Socrates neediness and snot phobia his need to be neat etc. Have to say though writing her death scene was the only time I throughly enjoyed killing a character I went out of my way to make it nasty lol For all she is only in one of my books so far (she died seventeen years before the first novel I wrote), her influence is all over all my fantasy books. Her personality contributed towards my main protagonists personality and that of one of my main antagonists.

Keep going see what your character does. I created two nasty serial killers that turned into detectives lol

I think what you have written here indicates her personality change may actually make a lot of sense.