Where are you in your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Taylee91, Apr 11, 2011.

1. John Travis

John Travis New Member

Finished my third draft of "Consequences." last night by staying up until three o'clock. There are some subplots that I'm not sure that work. We'll see how they fare in the forums. I'll print out the current draft after my Race Law class and start red-penning it again. With the two weeks waiting period, this mofo will be well polished (not necessarily well written) by the time it makes its appearance.

2. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Haha, thanks Charlotte :D I will continue to see where she ends up. Her motivation to be the way she turns out to be is because her mate betrayed her. (LOL she's the swan queen) Everything in her world is falling a part and now my two main characters come into her world and bring it further to ruin. This is the last thing she would want.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

LOL Don't you dare tell Socrates - having enough bother over him because of my Swan Story.

Oh yes your choice is brilliant it suits a swan perfectly they need an edge - they can be beautiful but also very dangerous (there is a reason the pair on my local duck pond manages to raise around six-eight cygnets to adulthood every year when most swan pairs managed two or three - it is the reason i don't feed the ducks there lol not with three kids - the Cobb has bitten my shoes on more than one occasion and that was with a dog sitting next to me).

I realised Socrates needed a dangerous edge to him - he is beautiful, welded to his lover, protective of his children, his family but he can be scary and is more than capable of fighting back - his version of hissing, honking and biting. There is a youtube video Swan vs Goose it is worth watching. When Socrates and Nate are fighting I turn Nate into a Goose :)

4. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I always love reading this thread, it's hilarious!

Anyway, not much done so far because I have a lot of school work, but I'm hoping to flesh out the story to the point where Inahn and Dahmin split up and Inahn goes looking for Lucillia, if I'm lucky I'll get to the scene where they meet. I know how it's supposed to happen, but I don't know how Dahmin leaves even though I know where he'd be going. I also have to start torturing Lucillia again, sigh, this woman is going to go through a lot before she gets a break and meets wolf boy.

5. Taylee91

^haha :) Thank you. I just wanted a really pretty bird and I thought a swan would be perfect. Oh they are that territorial? Eee. . . .Oh, haha, I'll watch it. The Young Sherlock Holmes clip you suggested was hilarious! lol :D

6. Elgaisma

Poor Lucilla torturing characters is hard - you'll work it out though. Sometimes I write little ten minute scenes for characters on the side where something nice happens even if it is really boring to read like they are staring at the sky lol

My boys right now need more toture - my plan to keep them as single and have their relationship be a side story has been scuppered - they have practically moved in together - Joe has even taken Tim back to meet the family :confused: And the Aunts haven't scared him off. I am going to have to have them become Private Detectives after this story - kind of thinking they may work as sory of grown up Hardy Boys.

Tut people really should read more Enid Blyton lol She is brilliant for giving educational information without taking you out of a story - a lot of my wildlife information came from her. Swans can break a childs arm and will attack dogs etc - they are scary :)

Your instincts have been good with your character it fits the swan character really well.

7. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^Eh, I don't find it that hard, the whole reason her storyline exists is because of what she goes on to do after the horrible torture. I just need to do a few things first to get her motives in order. The hard part for me is writing all the in between stuff, I have tons of ideas but they all take place later on, I need to write in order to know where the characters will be when those scenes take place.

Alas, I still have much world building to do. I still have to name an entire species! Which means I'm using a stand in in all CAPS right now as I type...

As a side note: I just hit 5K!

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I got past the block! :D Steaming toward the end now. :)

9. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^Go Melzaar! Way to beat that block!

10. Taylee91

Ooh, yay! :) :D ;) *applause*

11. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I'm currently in the proosc of realizing i dont know how to write
    and am looking for w

12. Taylee91

^I'm sure you can write :) Everyone can. All it takes is practice and reading books.

13. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

Does anybody go through days where they feel like everything they've written is crap or is that just me...?:eek:

Honestly though, I think I'm just too close to it now. I plan to push through and finish, but I understand why they say to let it sit for a bit before going back to it.

14. Elgaisma

Congrats Mel.

AJ no it isn't just you sometimes when I am still plotting the story it can seem like real rubbish

Today I need to write Socrates and Nate blog and Cream and Black have theirs as well. I am getting rid of all my kids today - trying to decide whether to write of sleep off my head cold. Maybe a bit of both.

I am contemplating starting Cream and Black over from the beginning now I am 40K in I seem to know where it is going and what is happening. Also planning on at least one of them becoming a private detective.

15. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

I am currently write four projects at the moment.

1 Project- I am on to my 17 chapter, had to rewrite this a lot of times, have not edit yet. My sister does that for me. But I had lost 5 of my chapter that I had wrote because my computer crash, now I keep a back up off everything, just to play it safe. I did have 10 year write block with this but managed to over come it.

2 Project- Just started this two weeks ago, on the four chapter but I am struggle with it at the moment. So not sure to put it to one side or not.

3 project- This is a script, 60 pages. Just started this, and I am really start to get into it. I am enter this one into a competition. So I have 2 weeks and 1 day to get it all done and check, on to page 25. so finger cross that I can do this. I still have thought of a series name, which I am really struggle with.

4 project- is a short story, that I am thinking of enter into another competition. Actually finished this one. Just need to edit it.

Finger cross that I might get some finished.
    So I am off to write :)

16. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I just hit 8K. Like, right now. I have introduced all four of my main characters and have started hitting at the big bad, who won't actually be introduced for quite some time. The conflict is rising and poor Lucillia is in the middle of it. Though I did cut away from her for now, I have quite a bit of writing to do from Inahn's journey, customary in the Voll Clan but not the race, but in order to get everything working I need to split up Dahmin and Inahn, which is going to take quite a bit of planning. Wish me luck!

17. Elgaisma

Started my book over from the start again lol I decided I had the wrong POV character - its working much better with Joe.

18. L.H.J.

L.H.J. New Member

That's for me to know and you to not know.
    yep..i started on my 1st chap today. i wrote like 3k and felt like it was complete trash.

so jealous. ;)

19. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

84K words today... and, a much better attitude about it all. :)

20. Elgaisma

Ugh deleted it all again lol now 3K into Cream&Black but it is running more like a completed draft than a first draft spent time talking to Dad about the area I have set it in, looked at pictures of Castle Howard to base the stately home off - kind of strange writing the missing Earl again lol

Joe is becoming more mysterious by the minute he will not tell me what happened when he was ten, how he got expelled from school. His Aunts have revealed they met in prison (one had punched a police officer during a rally and the other said it was 'horticulture') . Now think he may have been involved in maybe a murder or something similar but how no idea. He is now my main narrator and it is flowing better than using Tim for this one.

Also need to write a Sherlock Foam again!!! Last weeks was a discussion between him and Dr Watt and I think it flowed better.

21. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Not much writing today, too much work to do it school. But when I do get a chance I'll be writing up Dahmin and Inahn's quest to the Sacred Temple. Their Clan Leader, who refuses to tell me his name, finally told me why they weren't at the temple to begin with and now I have more plot. Thanks Leader!

22. Elgaisma

If you are writing for school it counts as writing don't forget that !!! I learned to write stories doing history essays - my general education all forms part of my storytelling.

Anyway off to give Taylee rep for this thread think it is a great idea really helping me sort of organise my thoughts about my stories every morning.

23. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^It really is a great way to organize. When I write something here I feel compelled to keep with it instead of getting discouraged. Sadly, I'm not in the process of writing for school. There is some poetry, but I don't count poetry because I write it all the time. It's my stories I like to count.

24. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

WikidPad, you are my new best friend! Plot points, research, and bios of my characters all contained in a single document, and I can't brag enough how much of a miracle it is that my sister found this writing program. It has revolutionized my writing! And did I mention it has spellcheck? Oh, yeah, I'll be pumping out the first draft now . . .

25. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I have studied partcial of The Hollywood Standard by Christopher Riley and done some more research on scriptwriting. It's fun though, but I hope I don't give up either. It's not really all about dialogue, though it is essintial. With script, you have to be as visual as possible, because anything you write on the script will be on TV. Therefore, you can't reveal a person's feelings by saying he feels bad, becase we can't see a person feeling bad on TV. lol But yeah, I think you have the idea a little bit now. And you have to write "lean and clean." I think it means that you have to keep your sentences as short as possible and not wordy.

1 person likes this.