Where are you in your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Taylee91, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

might check that out Tessie.

And poetry counts - even maths you never know when they come into your story.

2. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

I got distracted :(

I was working on a relatively minor antagonist and when fleshing out the character and her reasons for attacking the MC I started to find her really interesting and I've now spent the last few weeks fleshing out her life story including factoring her into to a short story set in the same world.

All she was supposed to do was show up, attack the MC, force him to face up to some previous bad choices and then die, but no. She now survives, undergoes a convoluted and tortuous road to redemption, relapses and then recovers again to be one of the few characters who actually finishes the main arc better off. Dammit!

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Haha, you've been distracted by one of your minor characters, I see. Well, I think that's a good thing. If it's gotten you some more experience in discovering her past and more of who she is, I can't say that is a bad thing. With every major character you create, this is the same thing you'll need to do nearly everytime :)

4. Elgaisma

My boys are fighting lol poor Joe is getting jealous :)

5. Taylee91

^lol

Right now I'm trying to get back into writing. Nore more notes, etc. I need to start back where I left off in chapter four after Amy and her friend spy on this student from their school who seems to just have a chip on his shoulder all the time. I shouldn't have too hard of a time. The next scene is going to be very memorable :)

6. Elgaisma

yeah for memorable scenes :)

7. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Dahmin just broke Clan rules and Leader is telling them all about the Temple and their heritage, poor kids, don't know what they're getting into.

8. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

I'm actually kind of glad she distracted me - she's a fascinating character so far and while she herself isn't anything earth shatteringly new she does open up alot of design space for that world that none of the other characters gave me. I've written some snippets of her "story" and they'll probably find their way onto here at some point :)

9. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I'm in my first draft and it feels like a sloppy mess right now. My brain has already decided how it is going to rewrite some of the previous scenes to rework the storyline to make it better, so trying to force it to complete the draft is a bit tough...

I'm working past it though. I'm on the homestretch for completing part 1 of the book (there will be two parts). Then I can let it rework the first draft of part 1 while writing part 2.

10. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^I know what that's like, I already want to rewrite a good chunk of mine!

As a side note: I finished the first part of Inahn and Dahmin's little quest, those poor Voll cubs have no idea what their Master is talking about! Now it's back to Lucillia to see what she's been up to. But first I need to add an extra scene at the beginning to give her the leverage she needs as the main character and to gain some sympathy.

And I just hit 10K! Woo!

11. Elgaisma

Congrats if we had a dancing banana I would place it here for you DeNile :)

I have written all of 1K words today, and still not given Sherlock a thought have few more hours to write him though.

12. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I'm closing in of 12K now actually! But I just hit a snag. I planned to have Lucillia wake up to a sunny morning where she could head home alone. I've written out part of the scene and she's waking up during a rain storm next to a camp fire in her cave. Someone else was watching her in her sleep and has just come back from hunting in the storm. I have no idea who she is...

13. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Went for a long walk and have figured out who this figure is. She was the last piece in the puzzle for my new species as well. All she needs is a name and she's ready to go!

14. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

So the curse is broken and all, but I still have SO MANY SCENES LEFT to wrap up all the stuff that happened after. This is annoying. :p Not that the novel is particularly active - there's been a lot of talking and stuff - but the fact remains I can't skip any of it or it'll seem inconclusive, yet there is nothing else to do really except for the characters to stand around and talk...

15. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Good luck Melzaar, make the dialogue count!

As for me, I hope to hit 15K before bed. So that's 3000 words in... 6 hours. I think I can do that. I have all the scenes planned out in my head, so I just need to write them out.

16. Taylee91

^I'm going through that same process. It's not easy in the least.

17. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I didn't hit 15K last night, I got stuck at 12.5K when I realized I'd never given Lucillia's city a name. This isn't a big deal, I have lots of things without names right now. But I kind of need to give this city a name, it's the capital of the human cities, and I can't just call it the Capital for now. I'm already using that stand in for the Nottac Capital. I think I might call it the HUB, because it's in the center of all human civilization.... that works. That works well, and it means I have an idea what my world now looks like. Thanks guys!

Off to hit 15K!

18. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I want to get another 2000 words finished by the end of the weekend. That should take me to 4400. Not too bad. My goal is to finish the first draft by the end of August, should be doable.

19. Taylee91

For some reason I've been stuck lately. It doesn't make any sense. I have a good idea of my scenes and where I want them to go but it's like I've just lost the spark to write my story. I don't understand why. . . .

I'm sure it'll break soon. It's just not fun being in this dry moment :p

20. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

When that happens to me, I meditate on my story as if I'm living in my storyworld. Walk through your storyworld and daydream away. Write down any little details that come to mind, especially action moments that you want to use.

1 person likes this.
  21. Taylee91

^That's a really good idea :) Thank you. I have two fronts I want my characters to be in at times: their real-life world and this other fantasy world. It's taken me a while to build the fantasy one, but I haven't gotten every detail down in it.

22. Elgaisma

If you continue to be stuck I need Milly tomorrow but she is free until then lol

Ugh today I have redone the next intallment to Little Chicks just need to edit it and it is ready to go. Need to do some Gus and Iris but so tired this cold is really getting to me and I need to do more than 10 words on Cream and Black.

23. Taylee91

^haha, thank you Milly. I will take you up on that sometime. But I've got to go to work in a little while and have been procrastinating here :p oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Don't overdo yourself, Charlotte *hug* Make sure you get rest too

24. DeNile

DeNile New Member

When I get stuck or in a dry spot, like right now, I take a walk. Unfortunately I can't do that today, it's raining where I am. Walking tends to let me think better than sitting still and I can't even do that today. Hmm, maybe a shower will help?

25. Taylee91

^So I thought I knew my characters well. I've worked on their personalities for weeks. But now I feel like I don't even know them at all. They're just as cliched as they were at the beginning. *sigh* This is very frustrating. Having to stop and start all the time isn't helping either. :(