Where did you get your avatar and why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Flubagalub

Flubagalub New Member

I picked this avatar because it's just so badass.

2. Maxie Boi

Maxie Boi New Member

I chose mine because I like the design, as well as I would like to get a tattoo of it someday, or something similar to it.

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, that it is.

4. Amadeo

Amadeo New Member

I picked mine because I love wolves.

I used to have a wolf hybrid a few years ago. His name was Niko. He was abused by a man who brought him to Idaho from Alaska.

I found Niko wandering around the parking lot at my work place and he walked over to me. At first, I was a little apprehensive since he looked just like a wolf. But then I started speaking quietly to him and he allowed me to pet the thick fur on his neck. He was extremely underweight as I could see his bones even under his heavy fur. His face was marked with cuts, possibly from being in fights with other dogs. His bushy tail has a ring at the base of it which left an indentation. The toes on one of his back feet were missing.

He followed me home and went to lay down on my porch. I made him a big meal - dry dog food, boiled chicken, warm chicken broth and some vegetables. He devoured the whole bowl and settled down to sleep. My other two dogs were extremely curious and wanted to meet their new friend. I wasn't sure how this was going to work out but after allowing Niko to sleep for a while, I decided to introduce them to each other one by one.

Everything went okay and it took time for them to get used to each other. There were a couple of confrontations and once they knew who was top dog (my Doberman/German Shepherd, Ninja, was the oldest and definitely leader of the pack.), they all got along quite well.

I have always loved wolves but when Niko came into my life, I found so many more reasons to be completely in awe of them!

I had Niko examined by the vet and she told me that he was around a year old and generally in good shape. Of course, he needed to put on weight which he did quite rapidly. She cleaned and checked the cuts on his face and said there was no infection.
    She removed the ring from his tail. Neither of us could understand why anyone would put a ring on his tail.

At some point, I met a man who knew Niko's previous owner. He told me that Niko was a wolf and malamute mix - about 70% Grey Wolf. He gave me a few other pieces of information about Niko as well. He didn't know what happened to the man who used to own Niko. He figured he went back to Alaska.

Having Niko in my life was an incredible experience which has left me with a greater love and appreciation of wolves. I had to put Niko down 5 years ago which tore me apart. He was not only a dog but one of my best friends...

Even after all these years, I still miss my special friend....

Take care,

Amadeo

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

This might sounds a little (read: REALLY) bizarre, but for a long time I only looked at your avatar out of the corner of my eye, and I thought it was a big blue fish wearing a hat.
    Seriously.

Then I took a good look at it, and I realized it was...a wave. With a sailboat on it.
    D'oh.

Now I'm very amused and bemused to find out exactly what it is (the stone of doom hitting the Earth). Thank you, Maia!

6. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

I took a photo of my newly painted model legionary :p

7. cargirl86

cargirl86 New Member

Mine is Coco Chanel.

Because I'm one classy lady ... or pretend to be, at any rate. :D

8. The Essential Writer

The Essential Writer New Member

I have an elaborate story involving internal bleeding and mad zombie cows, but I can put it simply: It matches my name.

9. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Mine's Rincewind from Discworld with a pretty typical expression on his face. I just think it's effective :)

10. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I saw this on a shirt and thought it was pretty awesome.

Woo, post 1,500.

11. Pix

Pix New Member

Within the unlimited potential of my own mind
    Mine is an interpretation of the Tree of Life. I thinks its not only beautiful but poetic. It tells a story without a word. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

12. Titania

Titania New Member

*points to picture* those are my feet :) On the National Mall in Washington, DC. I'm headed to DC for college in less than a month, and I just thought it was a fun picture.

13. Marloy

Marloy New Member

I found it on a literature site. It depicts a rendition of Pierrot the clown, so I liked it. :D

14. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Mine shows my great love for football - or soccer as you guys in America like to call it!

15. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Mine came from an anime, obviously: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm pretty much addicted, so I figured, why not?

16. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Pretty much the same thing here.

17. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I've used the name Afterburner for everything from Xbox Live to forums, and I made that flame in PhotoShop like six months ago to use as an avatar.

18. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Well basically, I chose mine because I like deathnote and Near is one of my favorite characters.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My latest avatar resulted from playing with CorelPAINT on a webcam image of myself, removing a "busy" background and posterizing the foreground (a few more steps than that, actually).