Where do you get your inspirations from?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Skyes, Feb 22, 2015.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I like the quote from Jack London:
    “You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”

That's pretty much my philosophy. I start when a character pops into my head, then I start writing scenes about him. Writing these scenes is an effort to drag his story out of him - his setting emerges, his situation emerges, and eventually, I know who he is and where he's going and what's in his way. The act of writing produces my inspiration.

Crick likes this.
  2. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

I find music sometimes helps or if you find yourself struggling try a change of scenery, take a drive out in the countryside. If i have an idea for a story I talk it out with one of my friends sometimes a fresh perspective really helps.

3. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

What inspires me is music. Music, musicians, because music is about feeling and words (lyrics), music is about ideas. Also movies, other stories (in whatever form, not only books, could be theatre as well). And people- although I have to admit, most people tend to be boring, so fictional people, or artists are best examples- but sometimes interesting people I have talked to, I have seen/observed can help a lot as well.

4. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

I take a theme, then figure out how to cram as much fantasy as I can in it.

Like in my 4/5 year in brainstorming project, about masks in an urban fantasy setting.