Where do you live

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2009.

1. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I live near a small (and somewhat historic) town in northern Georgia, US. All of my family lives around here, but quite honestly, I don't think I could hate this place more if I had to. The idiot is the dominant species here, with the pervert and addict right below it on the food chain. Intelligence is at the very bottom. This area could definitely profit from a good tornado or two. Harsh, but not unreasonable.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in the middle of nowhere... on Tinian, a tiny island out in the farthest reaches of the pacific... pretty much equidistant [1,200 miles] from japan, papua new guinea, and australia... thousands of miles from hawaii...

hot and humid, since it's a tropical island and we're only 15 degrees above the equator!... though now we're happily [for me, but not the locals, who suffer from the 'cold' when the temp is below 85] in the 'cool' season, so it's only a bit above 81 fahrenheit this morning and there's a nice 'coolish' breeze...

no prob, since there are no street addresses or street names here ['bloody' or otherwise]

3. Raven

Raven Banned

LOL!! you managed to make me smile. lol!!

It's times like this I'm glad you stuck with us. :)

4. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I live in the southeast of england in a little town by the sea.

It's cold, but sometime nice ^.^

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I live in a stink hole little country town in the lower south west of western australia. It is nothing special in my eyes. But what I love is that you can go out at night and see the stars all the time (unless it is a cloudy night of course) and it is green all year round.

6. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Rochester, New York. Thankfully, I live in one of the suburbs, as the actual city itself is a little...messy, shall I say. Stabbings and shootings and whatnot. Various unkind things.

But yes, suburbs are nice. Got a nice white house, a pretty girlfriend next door (ok, a few blocks away, but the cliche is still somewhat attributable) and a wide lawn. And no shortage of narrow minds to accompany their cushy wide lawns and lovely six-figure incomes. ;)

7. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

Go Pennsylvania! -- it's supppppper cold here. lol 17 degrees here today. Although for some that's normal.
    lol.

8. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    17 degrees? Try 0, here in Rochester.

9. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

On the buckle of the snow belt...

Chardon, Ohio is the buckle of the snow belt. If there is a chance of snow, we get it here. Higher elevation and rolling, tree-filled hills make Chardon a quiet retreat from the business of Cleveland. Cold winters and mild summers make it an ideal place to be a recluse and write, write, write.

10. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Biggish city on the east coast of Japan. It's getting damn cold here, which I'm not used to, seeing as I lived in Africa before.

This city has the highest number of modern buildings I've seen in my life. Everything got rebuilt post-WW2. They've also concreted everything over, and blanketed the land in apartment buildings.

11. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

In a large modern city around a big bay surrounded by mountains which change colour from silvery gray through to brooding purple depending on the weather and time of day.

The 'Velvet Fortress' is on the the mountain heights at the head of the bay. In the evening when I come home on the ferryboat the 'kordon' street lights are glowing--an amber necklace laid along the shore. Sometimes there'll be the huge slab of a cruise liner anchored off the harbour, lit up like an apartment block.

It is the friendliest and happiest town in all Turkey and I could never live anywhere else in all the world.

12. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Sligo town, northwestern Ireland. A small town which is usually wet and never far from zero. Hills/mountains, forests, ocean are all within 20 minute's cycle. I'm a 'big-city' guy but absolutely love it here. Clean air and decent people do it for me.:)

13. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I live in a large suburb of a small capital in the flyover region of the USA --the midwest. (I'm not comfortable putting down my city / state; perhaps with more time I'll reveal.)

Like most of the midwest, I see every season imaginable. Rainy, dry, spring, summer, autumn, winter, and the tempertures have gotten record low of -20F and record high of 120F (not factoring in windchill or humidity)... At present, it's 20F, which is definitely the high this month!
    The people here are tolerable for the most part, but I dislike the collective, uniform personality almost all 80,000 of the population has adopted. This town is where creativity goes to die. :p

It's not all bad, though. Our high school just won it's 100th state championship, and the academics alone are really superb --the school system is one of the town's most alluring qualities. There's not much greenery (unless you live in a neighborhood), but I'm an urbanite anyways. Low crime rate. There are a lot of quality restaurants too. Our downtown / historical 'old town' is expanding nicely, if a bit exorbitant for my taste.

...I'm relocating to the east coast within a year and a half. :love:

14. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Rochester, New York, home of the weirdest most unpredictable weather in all of Upstate New York. Except maybe Buffalo, those people get some crazy lake effect stuff going on over there.

EDIT: As has been mentioned before, the city here is a bit...sketchy. Which is why I live on campus of the University which is a very nice, much safer place :) And I avoid leaving the safe haven of the campus, because the river that is its border is the only thing in between me and the Projects.

15. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Other than the uniform personality thing, if it's got public buses, sounds like the sort of place I would want to live in Mercurial. Well, the Canadian version, anyway.

16. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

South Perth, Western Australia, in a small suburb residing by teh seaz

it's summer at the moment which is usually a comfortable, 'nice n warm'.. but for some reason it's been disgustingly hot and humid.. I'm hoping that'll settle down, because my brother's getting sick of having to sleep downstairs at night, lol

17. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Geographical, architectural, educational, and in most all aspects, it is fabulous if you like suburbia.
    I think the only reason I really have negative thoughts about my location is because the people here are kind of a buzzkill. I feel more at home with diverse people who crowd me --think NYC, Boston, and Richmond, Virginia... This town is stereotyped as being full of snob, and I've always believed that it's a stereotype for good reason. ;)

No public buses though. :p

18. booksmith

booksmith New Member

Arkansas. It's in the south central USA in case no one knows.
    LOL

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

me, too, raven, since other sites out there are much less friendly!... i just left the rather newish 'authornation' after a brief tryout period, because a cadre of complainers wouldn't stop attacking me for using this idiosyncratic writing style for my posts, even after i explained [satisfactorily, to the first poster to wonder about it] why i do... others asked me to stick it out, but why bother, when every post is going to become a dartboard target?... so..............

UP wf.org!!!
    [the superior quality here is clearly due to daniel, you, and your fellow mods]

hugs, m

20. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Severn, Maryland, the US of A! It's between Annapolis and Baltimore.

It's a nice place; we get to experience all four seasons.

21. rory

rory Active Member

Originally I'm from Northern Alberta, Canada, but currently residing in central Alberta. And let me tell you It's all going south from here! I love Canada, but I can't take the cold. Especially here in Alberta. Chinooks every other week makes the temperature jump around like crazy. Last week was a lovely -30C, this week a lovely 10C.
    Other than the weather, it's nice enough. Good view of the mountains and lots of wide open space. Plus they just built a Walmart! Yah for Wally World!

22. HKB

HKB New Member

Portland, Oregon. I grew up in Orange County, California, I hated it there, totally a sick place. But I do like Disneyland.
    Ideally, I would not live in America, but I'm probably stuck here.

23. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood New Member

North Bend, Washington. Just got through mass snow, mass flooding.
    Now it's mass wind.
    amirite?

24. JaM1221

JaM1221 New Member

Hey, I live in central Massachuesetts.

25. Nedjes

Nedjes New Member

Alaska, and generally all over the state. I spend most of my time up in Fairbanks, so I'm quite confident that I can safely say I probably experience the most extreme cold weather of anyone on this board.

Still, I'm enjoying it. I'm sure it helps to have pubs in walking distance, but still... :p