Where Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Seren, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I tried to make a little home-office space in the bedroom, desk and all, but I always end up sitting in the kitchen. Good thing we rarely eat at the kitchen table, because it's not only where I write, it's where I draw, make jewelries and work out. Who said kitchens are for eating?

Since I don't use the desk in the bedroom I decided to tuck it away into the closet (we're a bit tight on space) and now the closet is apparently my second writing space. Because of course, brain :dry:

As for noises I can work in silence when I'm home alone, but if my boyfriends in the other room I need to have background music. Not because he makes any noises, I just can't concentrate listening to the silence of someone else being in the house. Though over all I do prefer some easy listening music. Either music I like enough to wear out, or something instrumental.

Seren likes this.
  2. Jonas Spångberg

Jonas Spångberg New Member

Mostly at home, a glass of wine, some music and candlelight. But I do love to take my laptop and sit down in a café or a bar, I like the creativity the commission gives me.

Seren likes this.
  3. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

I think that kitchen gets more use than anyone who dares to actually eat in them! ;)

Perfect!

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I would love to be able to sit on my bed (or outdoors, on the three days a year Scotland would allow it) and write, but unfortunately I HATE our MacBookAir's flat keyboard, and never quite got the hang of using a trackpad. Setting up to use the mouse is possible, but a lot of faff. I end up swearing at the machine more than getting writing done, and deleting all the mistakes I make when my fingers slip on that damn keyboard. So for me, the real writing takes place at my desktop, with my old-fashioned (but perfectly functional) stepped keyboard and mouse.

Seren likes this.
  5. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

You can't beat sitting at home and writing. I really think that's the only way to do it. Sadly, I don't have a study or anything like that so it all takes place in my lounge with my laptop. I also usually have a mug of coffee by the side and that's about it. I'm very minimalist!

Seren and Laurus like this.
  6. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Update:
    I have a gaming & design laptop now because screw you, that's why. Still I mostly write in my little space with my mechanical baby, but I've been spotted in the great outdoors a few times. So, the deck pretty much. I write on the deck until there's too many bugs, inclement whether, or I get too high to write anymore.

Seren likes this.
  7. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

So far I have only written short stories. I write late at night, on my back on my bed, on a small tablet, on the silly keyboard with a pencil with a rubber tipp. Character after character after character. I guess I type 5 times faster on a keyboard.

I have a laptop with separate keyboard an color calibrated screen that I edit photos on. If I am in a hurry I write on that, but I prefer writing in bed.

Sometimes I write a little at work, I skip lunch and write for a hour.

I write my stories as Google documents. That means I can access them from all 3 places without problems.

I use Microsoft one drive excel for outline (Googles spreadsheet on android can't get line feeds into running text)

So I write on 3 different locations, but I prefer in my bed, just before going to sleep.

Seren likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm going to try writing in an igloo, assuming there's enough snow and I have enough patience to build one this year. I should probably rig up an old laptop that I don't mind getting wet. Is excessive cold bad for a computer?

(googling)

Apparently not by itself but condensation can form inside the computer when it's transferred from cold to warm. Bad idea then.

Seren and rktho like this.
  9. Thom

Thom Active Member

Usually at home. Sometimes at lunch at work. When I'm at home I'll sit in my lounger with a clipboard, a clean wirebound notebook pad, fresh lead in my mech-pencil and an eraser pen.

Seren likes this.
  10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Yesterday and today, while in line at Disneyland. I'm getting more written than you'd think. But not that much more.

Seren likes this.
  11. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

That must make waiting in queues a lot more bearable.

It also reminds me that, a few weeks ago, I did a bit of writing while my horse was being shoed. Phone in one hand, naughty horse in the other...probably not recommended. :superlaugh:

Partridge likes this.
  12. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

That's very posh writing. I was almost that posh, once writing while getting my Jaguar serviced (sorry, Jaaaaaaaaag). They have free to-use-coffee machines in the showrooms. That is recommend.

Seren likes this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Is it by any chance an XJ-S V12 convertible? Because, damn. I used to have dreams about that car...

Seren likes this.
  14. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Nope, 4.0 V8 Sovereign. It's sold now and I'm on the hunt for another Jag....so we'll see ;)

Seren likes this.