Tags:
  1. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Where do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Damage718, Sep 2, 2020.

Off-the-wall topic here just for fun. Curious to see/hear where everyone writes? We all probably do it differently, and may have had to get creative with places we can write with the pandemic limiting some public options.

What's your go-to writing space?

A. Home office/library
    B. Full-on writing studio
    C. A converted space just for your desk/computer
    D. A laptop and anywhere I go

I'm definitely A, but it's slowly becoming B. My spare bedroom was going to be an office from the day I moved in, but little by little it's becoming the only place I write, and I've added a lot of equipment, bookshelves, inspirational art, etc over time to where it's becoming rather studio-esque.

2. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

At my desk 99% of the time. I used to do some writing in a local restaurant on my lunch break, but that doesn't really happen anymore does it?

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

TBD. Wife and I are in, uh, negotiations as to what will go where in our new house.

4. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

Good question.

I'm a very habitual person. When I do something, I must keep get into a routine and keep doing it, otherwise I just let it dwindle and fizzle out. Whether it's weight training, writing, etc, if I leave things to my own devices I can get lazy, so I tend to maintain a habit in order to keep a flow and create my own bubble of productivity.

The way that I work is very thoughtful. I have to be relaxed, in a calm zone and away from human contact and general distraction. The minor bit of distraction can ruin a whole day.

A for me.

5. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

At the kitchen table (where I am currently), or outside laying out on the deck.

When I moved into my house, I'd outfitted the basement area as my reading/writing space. I did use it a lot too. until this massive spider scurried in from the window and there was Tom & Jerry like chase before it went somewhere under the couch.

After that, I abandoned the space all together. Its no longer my place of peace and relaxation. I cant read/write in a space where I'm paranoid that everything that moves is friggin Aragog.

jannert, Rzero, Madman and 3 others like this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm a kitchen-table writer, too. Plus, I hate spiders. :)

Rzero and J.T. Woody like this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Only thing I do at the kitchen table is eat, drink, and complain about work. My God-given right as an American.

8. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

At the computer desk is what I've got. I haven't had a laptop to take with me anywhere in years so the work stays home. Most of the time I'm home anyway so it works out.

9. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

The spare bedroom which is used as a makeshift 'office'.

10. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I live in a small apartment that has one single room, that is my writing room. I either sit at the desk, or in my kitchen couch. I write on my laptop and sometimes I bring it with me and write in the library or other places. My room is furnished in antique style, baroque and classical, just looking for a classical desk to complete my collection.

11. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

In my flat (which is actually a studio apartment), on laptop. Good thing is that I have a computer table that is lot like this, so all my Byzantium books are within a hand's reach.

12. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

The computer desk if I'm feeling lively. It's in a bedroom. If I'm not getting lively, I have one of those XXL beanbags and a laptop in a different bedroom.

Rzero likes this.
  13. Platina

Platina Member

I got my PC desk set up in a small corner of my living room. I tried moving it to a couple of my spare bedrooms not too long ago (I had power issues with it, but resolved them by changing the surge protector), with one of them I turned into a small office/art room, but found that I had a hard time concentrating. The room was too small to do much of anything, and the desk was too small for my PC monitor anyway. Since the living room is where I spend the most time in, I moved it back in there.

14. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Just in front of my keyboard.

marshipan likes this.
  15. Samlet

Samlet Active Member

I like to write in public places like busy cafes or bus stations, anywhere where there's plenty of 'white noise' but nobody else is interested in me (more difficult during lockdown, of course). I was once arrested for writing notes for a novel in Magic Marker on the wall of the central police station, but that might be a lie.

Lifeline likes this.
  16. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

You have kitchen couches in Sweden?

17. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

My music room - a small fourth bedroom prior to me staking claim. If I get writer's block I grab a guitar and hope the flow of music will inspire me. The good thing is that I can hide away and am rarely disturbed. :)

Rzero likes this.
  18. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

At my kitchen island. I have an office setup, but I don't like writing there - it's in the basement with no windows, and it doesn't really fuel my creativity.

19. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

.... Went to sit out on the deck this morning and happened to move the deck cushion. 2 massive tree frogs were sleeping under it.
    They opened their eyes and looked at me before hopping away in fear.
    I feel bad.
    I wont be writing outside today (at least for right now)... I want them to come back.

marshipan and Rzero like this.
  20. Madman

Nothing from IKEA, I promise! Just an antique couch.

21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I've just never heard of putting a couch in a kitchen. Is that a thing in Sweden?

22. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Lately: Laptop at the dining table, though like anywhere I write, I tend to create a sort of nest of disorder. There's no room around me for dining now.

23. Madman

It's a sort of a tall couch that fits with the dining chairs, maybe there is another word for it? I've seen it in some homes, but I wouldn't say that it's common.

24. ISalem

ISalem Member

At home. At gym. In the car. On the go. I write a lot on my phone using a writing app.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Lifeline likes this.
  25. LadySilence

LadySilence Member

I always look for a quiet place, where not to be disturbed. Unfortunately it is not easy.