Where is the line?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Reximus, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

I agree with Cog on this one. Wikipedia is not usually a starting place for research. The articles written there are incomplete and prone to misconceptions. It's alright if you want to swing by there and collect sources from the notes, which is what I use it for, but Wiki is far from what you want to use for your primary research.

Google, yes!

2. Reximus

Reximus New Member

Okay well regardless of the wiki page the google result was just as informative. Anyways like I said the coat of arms doesn't seem to be the way to go. Since it seems to be often used in the military at the time and is associated with the family crest. The main character isn't in the military and his family isn't involved. Which is why I don't think I'll use it.

I am super grateful at all the responses but we seem to have gotten kind of off topic, I seem to pretty much know what to do now though. Which is to use a medieval age romantic bridegroom suit which is easily recognizable. So far my best choice is surcoat. However the thing is that's the only thing I could really turn up. There might be something I can't think of off hand that might be better.

It's such a specific question that searching for it isn't as easy as you would think. I have searched all the online stores but its just jerkins pirate uniforms. I even emailed all the websites contact emails as well as googled all the possible combinations and looked at those websites. I have even emailed 2 20+ year experts on the matter, however haven't gotten responses.

I don't think reading book after book for a word is a good idea though. Since these books can take 10 hours to read and I could easily miss the word. So I am still working on finding what you would think is such a simple question, but is unfortunately not.

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

A coat of arms is similar to a family crest. It's an image, not a piece of clothing.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

going to agree with this Wikipedia is fine for the level of research needed here because its feel he is after not complete exactness. I checked the ones on clothing and they do the job required.

Wikipedia is fine all you need to do is check the references which if you are seriously researching you should also do with a book or website etc As far as google research is concerned Wikipedia is no more inaccurate as any other website you don't know who wrote it. Some Wikipedia articles are written by some fantastic academics or dedicated fans of the subjects and are actually the best places to go. Some are written by trolls or those without knowledge, thats why you check references. But equally a website you click on can be written by some kind of nut or an academic that is not highly thought of.

Personally I will continue to use it as a catch all site for the start of my research.

5. Reximus

Reximus New Member

Well I know a coat of arms is an image. It is when it is worn on a piece of clothing that what I am saying applies.