1. Mordiggian

Mordiggian New Member

Where to begin...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mordiggian, Sep 13, 2010.

So, I'm not very good at forum introductions. They always seem fumbling and awkward when I write them, I spend a long time on them and never come away feeling satisfied. But, I suppose it's only polite, and I need to start somewhere...

And I shall start with a 'hi'. My name is Andy, I'm 20 and I've just started putting hand to keyboard to try some serious writing for the first time. I've always enjoyed writing, but up until now I haven't really written anything over 5000 words. So, you ask, why start now?

Well, I frequent - or used to - a roleplaying board. Sadly, it seems to have died a slow death, the last post having been two months past, but during my time there I slowly but surely developed a character I felt was the best I had ever written. He had a background, he had a future; he was cynical, charismatic, frightening and dangerous. I loved him so much I mentally built an entire world around him. Only just now have I gathered the courage to actually begin the somewhat monumental task of throwing my ideas onto the page, and I was nervous with good reason; I'm damned if, like my forum introductions, I can begin properly. Ah, well. I'll stick at it, and hopefully you fine people might be able to help me out ;)

I've been writing since I was 12, when I had an infectiously enthusiastic and charismatic English teacher whom I still consider one of the greatest influences in my life. My tastes in literature have changed somewhat since then, however, and I am currently trying to emulate the dark and atmospheric style of writers such as H P Lovecraft and Poe and the cynical humour of Terry Pratchett and Dan Abnett. I'm also drawing a lot of inspiration from the lyrics of certain Black Metal bands, a genre of music I listen to avidly (in particular, a band called Bal-Sagoth. I'd advise reading some of their lyrics whether you like their music or not). I'm not convinced by the results, but I'm developing my style more every day.

There, I've done it again. I only needed to write a simple introduction and I've spewed out a wall of text. I've rambled enough... so I'll end with a premature thank-you for the warm welcome, and take my leave :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Mordiggian, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

*Waves* I like Terry Pratchett too Wyrd Sisters is my favourite the immortal line uttered by Magrat, 'Anyone would think we were hags in green blusher.' It has to be one of my favourites in any piece of literature.

4. Quorum1

Quorum1 New Member

Glad I'm not the only one who procrastinates over forum intros! Took me a very sad amount of time to write mine...

Welcome :)

5. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome Andy. :)
    There's a RPG section here if you wanted to continue role playing. I always struggle with introductions too. :p
    Also, you said you're trying to emulate Dan Abnett's humour - I met Dan Abnett a couple of years ago when I was in Year 12, he talked at my school. His website is great.

7. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Greetings Andy, we hope you enjoy participating in the forums with us :)

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

*waves* Nice to meet you. :D