1. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Where'd 'book of the month' go?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Evil Flamingo, Feb 13, 2010.

I ended up missing the last one, which was Flank Hawk, but I'm pretty sure that was a month or two ago. I was looking forward the next month's, but it never came. I know people are busy and it's probably difficult to get all together, but I just wanted to know if we were going to have it anymore. If people are too busy right now to do it though, that's fine by me. I'm just wondering.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The two main things hindering this book of the month "club" is lack of time and lack of interest. It seems like only a few people actually read and discuss the book during any given month. And sometimes it's just hard to get the book (due to availability in libraries), so I'm guessing people skip it for that reason as well.

Anyways, Arron is usually in charge of setting up the threads for this, so you could talk to him about it. If there's enough interest, perhaps we can get it going again for March.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

If there's interest, I'm happy to try restart it again...I put it on hold over the holidays for obvious reasons, but it can probably get up and running again if people are keen.

But yeah, it was starting to seem like only a couple of people would contribute something each month, so I wasn't sure it would be worthwhile. I thought of maybe having a kinda "club" where people can discuss whatever book they like, but centre the discussion around a particular aspect of writing in general each time, so that in any given month people could discuss whatever book they liked but it would still be a useful and enjoyable group discussion, rather than an individual thing.

So yeah, if you guys want it back I can do it, and if you have any other ideas or anything, throw them at me, either here or by PM.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'd be keen for its resurrection - I only didn't join the Flank Hawk debate as it wasn't my sort of thing, but if we get back on the Nabokovs, then I'm more than game.

Suggestions for what I'd like launched:

Pygmalion
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Under Milk Wood
    The Handmaiden's Tale

... and plenty more where that came from if we need more.

5. thirdwind

If there's going to be a book of the month for March, count me in. I'm up for reading pretty much anything.

6. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I'm in as well. I didn't know we used to do one of these on this site, but I love discussing books.

Huck Finn sounds like a good choice... I bought a copy a few weeks ago and haven't read it yet lol

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

Alright then! Once there are enough selections I'll do the poll thing and we'll pick a book for March. We could also include drama and/or film, if anyone's interested in that....with the oscars coming, it might be interesting to take a closer look at the winners in the screenplay categories.

8. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I might be in for March, also. Just depends on if I can get access to the book or film we choose. No Huck Finn, though. Please. Lol. I'm fine with any of the other books Gannon listed.

9. thirdwind

I'm OK with any of the works Gannon listed.

Here's another play to add to the list:
    "Playboy of the Western World" by John Millington Synge.

10. Evil Flamingo

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Wilde is one that I've wanted to read for a while.

I like Gannon's choices as well, except for Huck Finn...I've just read it too much and I really am annoyed by the ending. But if everyone wants to do it, I'll live. Of his list, A Handmaiden's Tale would be my first choice.

And as for movies (I don't know why, but I'm ridiculously excited for this movie), World War Z by Max Brooks is being made into a film and I'm pretty sure the book is decent...and colorful. But this is just a fun and silly choice haha.

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

Hehe WWZ is an awesome book, but I don't know whether its capable of sustaining any meaningful discussion (beyond "omg! that bit was totally awesome!"). I didn't know it was being made into a movie though....how will that work? *goes to wiki*

Ok well, do we really need a poll? Just pick one of Gannon or TW's suggestions and well go with that. Assuming I can find copies, I vote for either of the plays, Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas or Playboy of the Western World by John Millington Synge.

12. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Living in Mexico, I just can't go into a bookstore and hope to buy the book that is chosen by the rest for the 'book of the month.' Being so the case, I haven't been able to participate in it, BUT, I do have a copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray that I haven't read. So, I vote for this book, if it is decided that the club will be reinstated.

13. Evil Flamingo

I have no idea. I'm a little into it already (not much considering school is hectic), and it is ridiculously awesome. I think it helps that I read the Zombie Survival Guide beforehand. XD

14. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I've been meaning to read Dorian Gray as well so that would be good.

15. thirdwind

I don't mind Dorian Gray either.

16. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    I too put my hand up for WWZ however I get the suspicion that most people may have read it already. Does this exclude it from running, any thoughts?

Apart from that I like to see us do something by Agatha Christie (I nominate "And then there Were None") or Roald Dahl ("Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" springs to mind) or Ian Fleming (I've always intended to try and read a James Bond novel someday, but have never gotten round to it).

I would really love to see us do something by John Marsden ("Tomorrow, When the War Began", "Letters From the Inside", "So much to tell you"). He's one of my favourite Authors and I've always been a bit miffed that he has never really gotten any recognition outside Australia, so here's me doing my little bit to change this.

17. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'd prefer one of the other suggestions as I have read DG - but if it comes to it I could tackle a bit of Victorian gothic afresh, seeing as how I've just finished Jekyll and Hyde.

18. arron89

arron89 Banned

It's not excluded, I just don't really think it's a great idea...this is for book discussion, not "let's read a cool book", and I just don't think there's a lot (writing-wise) to discuss in WWZ. But yes, it is a great book and you absolutely should read it.

It's kinda looking like Dorian Gray so far...I could get into that...

19. Evil Flamingo

I was just having fun by putting WWZ into this. Don't take it too seriously. Dorian Gray has my vote as well.

20. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

Dorian Gray sounds promising. I'd also like to read the Canterville Ghost.

21. thirdwind

It seems that Dorian Grey is the most popular choice. Is this OK with everyone? I just want to know so that I can go ahead and check it out from the library.

22. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

It's okay by me. I don't know the rest, though, but it clearly seems it'll be Dorian Gray.

23. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Just doing that now

24. Evil Flamingo

delete post

25. arron89

arron89 Banned

Sweet, Dorian Gray it is.