Wherein I Roll My Own in the Publishing House Line

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, Jul 6, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

why did you upload the epub file to ingram spark - they are rubbish as an agregator.. I'd say just use them for print wide distribution

if you want to use an agregator for wide ebook distro either draft 2 digital or publish drive is the way to go ( I'd say go direct with kobo since is really easy and opens up using their promo tool)

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

That's an idea.

Why did I? Because they had a free-for-both paperback and ebook offer going post-Nanowrimo. I missed it partly due to a website screwup on Ingram's part, but they gave me my own freebie code to make up for it.

So. You're saying that Draft2Digital will do exactly the same for ebook distribution that IS will, but with less hassle?

I had a less-than-satisfactory online chat with Chris at IS, Thursday afternoon. He tells me they use a different and more strict epub validator than Amazon does, and that it's up to me to make sure my file passes it.

I was planning to set a timer and give myself exactly 3 hours to investigate how to clean up my file. If I'm making progress and seeing daylight by then, I'll keep going with the dual distribution plan with IS.

If not, print only with them.

But now you've reminded me of Plan C--- Print only with IS, and explore epub with the other distributors.

(From what I'm picking up in other forums, I'm not the only one who's had issues uploading ebooks to Ingram.)

3. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

For epub draft to digital or publish drive is the way forward as an agregator ... I'd say go direct with amazon KDP and kobo writing life so you can access their marketting tools and use an aggregator for ibooks, googleplay, B&N and the smaller markets (unless you want to go into KDP select in which case just upload to KDP directly)

4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

This is a great idea, but turns out Draft2Digital uses the exact same strict EPUB checker IngramSpark does. I'm putting off going wide on the ebook until I can explore some alternatives. It's possible I'd have fewer problems converting with Sigil than I am with Calibre. We'll see.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. big soft moose

I've never had a problem with the upload to draft to digital, but i'm using vellum.

I'd offer to use my copy of vellum to convert for you but if i remember correctly your master file is html not word and vellum needs a docx as the source file

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

We had a massive headache with IS on transferring paperbacks from KDP to IS, and more than a few unsatisfactory chats, e-mails and telephone calls with their tech support team. Had a hard time getting the same answer twice.