Which author

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by EMSchell2009, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Wow, you like a lot of the same stuff I do.

I admire a lot of writers, but most of them are dead. Among living writers, I respect Murakami and McCarthy the most.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

What are your thoughts on Atwood, Thirdwind? I've been tempted to get Oryx and Crake. I've only read The Handmaid's Tale by her and I thought it was pretty bad, but what I've read about Oryx and Crake sounds promising...

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I actually haven't read anything major by Atwood besides The Handmaid's Tale, which was OK, but it wasn't really the type of stuff I read. A lot of people seem to like her though, so I was thinking of getting a short story collection and giving that a try.

I also like Alice Munro, who's another major Canadian writer. I've read a lot of her stories, and I really like her writing, though I don't really care for her newer stuff.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Alistair Macleod is an excellent author, also from Canada.

5. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

I wanna say that I highly respect George R.R. Martin.

The way he parallels story lines is incredible and actually makes sense. Many people have tried his style, and though some succeed it is rare.

I enjoy the way he writes his parallel. Example:

The title heads for the Chapters: When a Jon is at the Wall and Another char is in Kings Landing they generally go Jon then 8 Chapter Heads, then Arya (for example being careful to avoid spoilers). Now if Arya starts to head north to the Wall or Jon south to Kings Landing their Chapters head would fall closer and closer. When Jon finally reaches Kings Landing, Jon and Arya's chapters are generally right nest to each others. Note: None of this is True about the Chars. Just using those two as example No Spoilers!

He does this with all his chapters and Chars. And yet somehow as a reader you know that in Jon's Chapter he is Killing a Deer and cooking it for dinner, while discussing his plans to range into the forest, and then you Read Arya's Chapter and she is learning to fight with Needle and discussing Jon, that these two instances are happening at the same time.

He parallels amazingly. I could give much better examples but I don't do spoilers!

6. Sundae

Sundae New Member

And who said I don't respect those? I have plenty of other favorites that I love, but don't respect. James Joyce's Ulysses is my favorite book, a fav author, but he's not on the list. :rolleyes: Walt Whitman is a favorite, he's not up there. Just because I use the words "love" or "favorite" does not mean I missed intent of this thread.

7. James Scarborough

James Scarborough New Member

Stylistically the writer who I admire most and who's probably had the greatest influence on my own writing style is Ernest Hemingway. He referred to his prose style as the "iceberg theory", using short, concise, terse prose and crisp dialogue to reveal only the tip of the iceberg, intentionally omitting the underlying mass of hidden meaning and symbolism lying beneath the surface, believing that by omitting material a writer could actually strengthen his story by distilling the essence.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

George Orwell. Man, can he make a statement.

1 person likes this.
  9. ImagineThat.

ImagineThat. New Member

There are so many, so I will just name two.

Zane: I will admit her work is R rated, but I find them to be very good stories. She is creative and I can honestly say I have never read a book of hers that wasnt good. Her show on HBO is even good.

R.L Stine: Im almost 20 years old and I still enjoy his Fear Street books. He is a genius, and I will forever love his work. His short chapter books keep me on the edge of my seat, and I think it's funny everytime. I love R.L stine and always will.

10. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

Roberto BolaƱo - for living a life of greater authenticity than I could contemplate.

11. DBock

DBock New Member

Nick Hornby --- some of the absolute best characters and voice I've ever read in fiction. The man rocks my world and made me want to write. My personal favorite writer.

Currently, Ann Aquirre --- For making me actually read and like a romance series. Ugh. Can't put the Sirantha Jax novels down even though I know there should be a cover on it with two people making out.

12. pattycat

pattycat Member

J.D. Salinger for his masterly crafted characters. Everyone has read Catcher in the Rye, but try some of his other stuff (granted, there's not a lot of it). Raise the Roof High Carpenters is my favorite.

13. Fantasyphanatic

Fantasyphanatic New Member

I really respect Bryan Davis and his book series, "Dragons in Our Midst." He includes a lot of action without it being too violent, he mixes Science Fiction with Fantasy, and does an incredible job of making you feel very attached to the main characters. He also includes descriptive details about the character's surroundings and feelings in his books.

14. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I used to love Brian Jacques books so much.

15. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    I respected many authors, I don't really like all there books but theres some authors you have to respect. This is my list;

Emily Bronte-for writing in time when woman weren't taken seriously and for making a classic gothic romance that brings horror and fear.

Mary Shelley- Come on who hasn't heard of Frankenstein?

William Shakespeare- He changed what people thought of the english language, plus he's just so awesome!

J.K. Rowling- For making a classic in this picky and stuborn modern time.

C.S. Lewis-I know people here don't like christian authors here, but as a kid his books were insperational.

J.R.R. Tolkien-come on, even my brothers who hate reading and fantasy like him (well they like movies, but thats great they hate all fantasy movies other then the Lord of the Rings)

and

Suzanne Collins- Her stories are so real to me, I LOVE all her books!

and I think theres more but I can't name them all now. Theres just so many great authors!

16. Faerytale

Faerytale New Member

Katheryn Stockett - I haven't read her book, 'The Help', but I did read an article about her. Her manuscript was rejected 60 times before she could find an agent. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is perseverance. Or maybe just being stubborn. Either way, it worked!

17. Gigi_GNR

Hunter S. Thompson. I love the way he writes and phrases things; he tells it like it is, no sugarcoating.

18. Gigi_GNR

Matt Taibbi. Much, much love for the guy -- my opinions, political views, etc. are like his, and he's the kind of journalist I'd love to be. Same for Hunter S. Thompson.

19. Merlin

Merlin Member

Dan Abnett. Just how many books has he written? I think there are definably at least 20 for Black Library Publishing alone. He's got several omnibuses and more, and every single novel that I've read by him I've enjoyed, even Prospero Burns. He is possibly my favourite author.

The other authors who I enjoy (and have not read a bad book by), are James Lovegrove and Brent Weeks.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

(^ I so can't tell you like Warhammer 40k)

I suppose I have to give huge respect to both Dante ALIGHIERI (The guy did have a surname, use it) for The Divine Comedy - not just Inferno - and Vita Nuova, and Geoffrey Chaucer for The Canterbury Tales.

21. Gigi_GNR

^ Good choices.

22. Dithnir

Dithnir New Member

Annie Proulx and John Fowles stand out for me, I admire technically excellent writers, with 'best descriptions ever' going to Colin Thubron. I love Tolkien for his immense feat of imagination and Tim Powers for his gonzo yarns. Ian McEwan stands out as well. I tend to love books rather than authors, but those guys are authors I know will deliver :)

23. Melanie

Melanie New Member

Anne Rice, not only because she turned me on to vampires and fantasy in general at a young age, but also because she is very passionate about her beliefs and is willing to risk her career in their defense. When she quit doing the vampire books, people said she was crazy to start writing about Jesus Christ, but she did it, and she did it well. She has been very open with the public about many of her views on politics, religion, human rights, etc, and is willing to fight for what she believes in. Whether you agree with her viewpoints or not, you have to respect anybody in the public eye who is willing to publicly stand up for her beliefs.

Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte. Not only did these women write amazing novels that have never been out of print, but they did so in a time when the subject matter they were writing about was very taboo, especially for women to write about.

24. will565

will565 New Member

Hunter S. Thompson because he never compromised his morals and just did what he did.
    But most of all Phillip K. Dick because he lived in absolute poverty, suffered shocking mental illnesses and battled drug addiction yet still came out to be an incredible author

25. Merlin

Merlin Member

:). Although saying that, I've enjoyed his non-40k work so far, including Triumff and Embedded.