Which is it, free or pay?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Timben, Jul 9, 2015.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

There is a saying that the first million words a writer produces are practice. I, personally, wrote three novels that turned out to be practice before I wrote one that I felt was ready to publish, and I am querying it now. However, no agent or publisher is interested in how much practice you've had - they just want to see the finished product of what you are pitching to them.

To recap the advice you've been given here:
    1) Find some beta-readers, a crit group or a freelance editor you can afford so that your work can be evaluated.
    2) Sort through the feedback you get and make revisions accordingly.
    3) At that point, learn as much as you can about the industry online.
    4) Then make a decision about which route you want to follow to get your work out there.

peachalulu and jannert like this.
  2. Timben

Timben Member

It isn't that I haven't put much effort into improving my writing, its a self-image thing. Meaning - I don't have any self-confidence or self-worth or whatever you call it, to brag, if you will about my writing skills. I'm complicated. Besides, I just finished my second story. I have no prior experience in writing, never published anything (I have no pen names what so ever under my real name). Again, I am complicated. I hope that helps you out at trying to figure me out.

3. Timben

Timben Member

Thank you. Wasn't implicating anything, by that question, I just totally did not know the answer. Just thought you would know. That was the only reason I asked.

4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Ah in that case it, I'll just echo that you need to get your work evaluated in some way, to see where you're at.
    The tricky bit will be your thin skin problem. I believe you when you say it's a real problem for you, because I even see evidence of it with some of your responses to some people on this thread.
    You are going to have to find some way to get a handle on it if you're serious about getting published.
    You have to remember that the vast majority of critiquers aren't trying to pick on you when they find flaws in your work. They're trying to help you grow as a writer by picking out the things you need to improve. Many have a tendency to pick out the bad stuff far more than the good stuff, but they don't mean it personally. -it's often easier to assess why you didn't like something than why you did like something.

EdFromNY and BayView like this.
  5. Timben

Timben Member

Again, I am only asking -- cause I really do not know. But what the heck is a "querying letter"?

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't see the phrase "querying letter" anywhere in @EdFromNY's response. You're right, query's are often in the form of a letter, but... I don't think Ed mentioned that. Did you see the phrase somewhere else, maybe? In which case, surely, you'd have some idea of what a query letter is?

7. Timben

Timben Member

Reckon so. I'm get very angry when people start to ridicule me, I can't take it. I am not a violent person. When people, I talk to on forums and give them my idea for a story, they start to make fun of me, calling my idea stupid and so on and so on...I get very angry over than and there for rip my story up in shreds and throw my hands up. That is what I mean by I can't take crits.

8. Timben

Timben Member

No I do not. I told you guys from the very start. I have never written anything. I am sorry that I am that stupid. But unfortunately, I do not know what a query letter is. If I did, I sure as heck wouldn't have asked it in the first place, now would I.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Unless you enlist your relatives. :p

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

And if you're lucky enough to have relatives who know what they're doing...

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The actual term is "query letter", and it is a short (usually one page) letter one sends to an agent or publisher with a brief description of the book to see if they might be interested. Depending on the agent (each has his/her own submission guidelines), you may also be asked to submit a small sample of your book.

However, I would suggest you concentrate at this point in getting some quality feedback on your work, make whatever adjustments you need to in your writing, and make your book the best you can. Once that's all done, you can start worrying about what comes after.

TWErvin2 likes this.