Which WF member(s) would you grab a beer with?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thirdwind, May 31, 2014.

1. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Me and @KaTrian are both more whiskey drinkers than anything else. Islay is our favorite, but 18yo and 12yo Highland Parks are also awesome, we love the regular Jameson (we actually prefer that over the older ones), and for a more American experience, Wild Turkey Rye with a bit of ice is one of the best summer drinks ever. :cool:

I have no idea why Caffrey's is so damn obscure. Even I wouldn't know it if it wasn't for a classmate from uni who introduced me to it the first week of "studying," aka partying. The funny thing is, she wasn't even a beer person as such.

@KaTrian and I actually prefer the younger ones because we like our whiskeys as smoky and peaty as possible, and the older they are, the weaker those flavors grow even though they are replaced with others. That's why Ardbeg 10yo is so amazing: it's the smokiest, peatiest whiskey we've ever tried, but Bowmore 12yo is still our mainstay simply because its combination of flavors (and the insanely strong taste of the aroma of sea shore) is just mind-blowing. We've tried several 20+ whiskeys, and while they're good, we prefer ours a bit more raw. :twisted:

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure you guys could afford my booking fee and meet @Garball 's green room demands. He is a bigger diva than Mariah Carey.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm in Scotland, and I have a bottle of Jack Daniels in my liquor cabinet as we speak. My Scottish husband loves mint juleps, and so we keep it on hand... but of course we have several of the Scottish ones too. Bunnahabhain is my favorite. It's an Islay whisky, but bears no resemblance to Laphroaig which is also Islay ...thank goodness. That's like TCP. Probably works better than TCP for what TCP does!

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@T.Trian I know the brewery here was closed several years ago, and since then I haven't seen it at all. It wasn't very popular here, which surprised me no end. I loved the creaminess of it. I used to be be able to get it in draught in several pubs, now I'd be happy to settle for an ice cold can.

T.Trian likes this.
  5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Aw, crud, I totally forgot our other favorite whiskeys!

Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Talisker 10yo, Glenmorangie 15yo (one of the few Highlanders that totally blow my mind, and also it was the first single malt I ever tried, drinking it at work when I was 18 :D), and Jura Superstition, which I bought almost by accident: I was on a ferry and it was on sale in the tax free shop, and I figured "why not?" and figured it couldn't be horrible. Turned out to be a ridiculously tasty blend of smoky, peaty flavors and a bit of the Highland touch.

Needless to say, we don't put any water in our whiskeys. The only whiskey I've ever preferred with a teaspoon of water have been Glenfiddichs (12 & 15yo).

ETA: @obsidian_cicatrix, crap. Sucks to hear they're not producing anymore. Now the closest equivalent I've found in Finland is Kilkenny's, which is pretty good, but not as good.

minstrel and obsidian_cicatrix like this.
  6. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

duly noted, @thirdwind Your posts shall now be read in the voice of James Earl Jones. ;)
    And you're right, @minstrel one more year til I'm legal. ha ha

minstrel and thirdwind like this.
  7. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Yup... Kilkenny is about the next best thing but it lacks the creaminess I loved about Caffrey's. It's a pity... I just don't think it hit the market at the right time. It was promoted like Guinness which probably didn't do it any favours with the younger crowd, who at the time were downing a lot of alcopops.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I remember first having Glenmorangie when I worked in a bar ... yea, we drank behind the bar - and wow do I love that scotch! I drank a good few bottles of that when I wrote my undergrad dissertation and smoked at least an unhealthy amount of tobacco. Good times, good times. :)

I've gave up smoking since, but I don't see myself not drinking any time soon, and Glenmorangie is always a drink of choice.

9. Andrae Smith

Edit: I had a response for Kat. in here too, but it got deleted somehow, so here it is again. I bet the hall would tun into a mix of all three and then some. I bet the younger people would gravitate toward each other for a while too. I bet it'd be a fun writer party after getting over some of the "omg this is real, what am I doing" jitters ha ha.

You know, I actually had a professor from Finland with a pretty neat (slightly funny) accent. Try though I might have, I just couldn't get an accent to you and T. I guess I'm a product of my environment, where everonesounds like Americans or Brits (and in America everyone has west coast or midwestern accent >_<) I'm a screwball. :p

@Lemex We'll roll with something around the range of Liam Neeson ha ha

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    KaTrian likes this.
  10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

If I have a voice not unlike Liam Neeson in your head ... I'm cool with this.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  11. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

I like @Wreybies suggestion! But where in the world would this meet up occur??

Is anyone in Southern England at all??

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. Andrae Smith

That's a good consideration. I think we should all go visit @Wreybies in his tropical paradise ha ha.

jannert likes this.
  13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Yo!!

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  14. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

The biggest problem, I think, is that we are from different continents...

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

So what? I can swim. Can't you? :D

Komposten likes this.
  16. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

If you let me come, I promise to bring this:
    [​IMG]
    and not wear this:
    [​IMG]

17. Lewdog

I'm from Mars...I thought all the women were from Venus.

18. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    I'm still fairly new posting-wise but I'd love to meet all of you! And play the guess who's-who without having our screen names on a name tag, lol. As for the drinks...all you Europeans are making me feel like a sheltered American with your obscure (to me!) and high end tastes! I make a killer caipirinha if anyone wants to join me in the Keys! Otherwise any cold draft will do. ;)

minstrel likes this.
  19. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Quite good actually, wanna compete? You somewhere from the US coast, and me from Europe, let's say Normandy, that coast is known to Americans. :D
    We meet probably halfswim and toast with a glass of cold beer, then continue the swim-off. The winner chooses the location, but in case of my victory I renounce the decision to you, because I still consider myself a fairly new member. Which is perfect since you're also a WF staff, so you can simply discuss the matter with other staff/senior forum members. :)

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've some nice homebrews down in my cellar, but I like a wide range, from frosty Pilseners to just-below-room-temp Guinness Stout. No rice brews, though, and I'm not a big fan of wheat brews.

It'd also be a great opportunity for people-watching. This would be a fun crowd to hoist a few with!

jazzabel likes this.
  21. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Is everyone happy to swim then?? *goes bikini shopping*

22. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Guess I'm going to have to renege on my promise and pack the mankini.:oops:

minstrel likes this.
  23. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Let's just meet somewhere along the US East Coast. From what I hear, Pennsylvania has the optimum longitude and latitude for really bringing out the flavor of alcohol. This has been scientifically proven. :whistle:

24. Lewdog

Did you hear this from the non-drinking Amish? :rofl:

25. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You can really see which members are popular based on this thread lol.

Well I'd love to meet @jannert esp after all our emails!
    @Wreybies @KaTrian @T.Trian @Andrae Smith @Man in the Box @EdFromNY @jazzabel

Just cus we've chatted either via PM or just in the forum and you all seem pretty cool :D

And this guy I started talking to whose username I don't remember.... I do know his actual name lol. Anyway, can't tag him.