1. Takana

Takana New Member

Which word to use?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Takana, Jun 19, 2011.

After a rewrite of a chapter I am working on, I was stumped over this sentence.

The character is refering to a recurring nightmare where she sees her dead fiance's face.

The problem I have is whether I should use the word it's or he's before haunting. On one hand, using the word he's is in keeping with making the spirit personal. His spirit, he's haunting, giving up my search for him. On the other hand, the spirit isn't real. It's just a reflection of the guilt she feels.

I'm inclined to go with he's, as it is in keeping with the rest of the sentence. It's just the more I think about it, the more confused I get :redface:

How would you write it?

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

Overcome your indecision by using neither!:eek:

It's almost as if his spirit has found me and is now haunting me, making me feel guilty for giving up my search for him.

3. Takana

Takana New Member

Hmm, I hadn't thought of using is (clearly :p). I like it. Sometimes having a second pair of eyes can make all the difference. Thank you :)

4. flipflop

flipflop New Member

or try this:

It's almost as if his spirit has found me, now it's haunting me by making me feel guilty for giving up the search for him.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

while i agree that you can do away with both, as shown, you could have used either one and been correct, depending on which you wanted to use...

6. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

How about:

It's almost as if his spirit has found me and haunting me with guilt for giving up my search for him.

Some times less is more. Take it with a grain of salt.