1. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Which would be the better character?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by NoNathanielNo, Aug 2, 2011.

Hi,
    I am in the early stages of actually starting a story I've been thinking of for a while.
    To give the briefest of summeries (as i'm still in the stages of fine tuning the specifics)

A female who is reasonabley body modded with piercings and tattoos meets someone at her work and initially gets on well with but before things even start to get off the ground she tries to detach her self because of his snide remarks, old fashioned views and general appearance put downs - until she finally takes the steps to attempt suicide because she starts to believe the comments herself

I want this story to be spread over 1 or 2 weeks of her life and for mid way through the story, I want the perspective to change from hers to his (so you really get a feel for how different two people's views can be on the same subject)

two things a) - Do you think the two perspectives could work?
    b) I was thinking of initially having the male character as someone who was very jokey and mocking but didn't realise how much it affected her until she does something so drastic but then I wondered if I should have him as the the original manipulator of luring her in to a false sense of security, thinking all would be good with him but subliminly and subtly hes putting her down for his ego/power trip

Advice/opinions on all greatly appreciated

Rachael

2. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

I think that the two perspectives would make it very interesting. Instead of thinking he is an ass at the end we could then see why he was picking on her and so forth.
    As for the second part of your question, it is up to you. I would personally go with the joking guy as when you switch it is easier to redeem the character. However if you want to portray him as an egotistical and by the sounds of it cruel guy it is up to you.

3. NoNathanielNo

NoNathanielNo New Member

Hi,
    Yes I was thinking the jokey sort of guy would 'show off' the two perspectives much better - shows that he wasn't being spiteful at heart, but just a bit dim when it comes to realiseing how much his silly words can have an affect.

Thought would be fun to have a 'two sides to every story' story

:)

Also going to be calling it "Perfect people don't have tattoos" - After one of many conversations I've had with people and experiences myself in customer service and office jobs where tattoos have had to have been covered up and piercings taken out - as though it affects the way you communicate with people and complete your work load

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It might not be that he's on an ego/power trip. It might be that he wonders why she had herself tattooed and pierced, and is concerned that she's hurting inside and is hurting herself outside to express it. He might be trying to tell her that she doesn't have to do these things to herself in order to be beautiful.

5. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

I really like the two perspectives idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as its clear whose perspective it is.

With regards to jokey verses manipulator I think it comes down to which character you can relate to better. I tend to think that the better you 'know' and can relate to your characters the more realistic they seem and that can really make a difference for the reader.

6. jso7m3711

jso7m3711 New Member

is one to two weeks long enough for her to decide to kill herself? she'd have to be really insecure to begin with and his comments would have to be really hurtful and continuous. I agree with the jokester guy as opposed to the jerk. good luck :)

7. DBock

DBock New Member

I've never been a big fan of split perspective however one of my favorite books of all time, About a Boy, is just that. If it's done well and with purpose it can work. if it's done for filler because you wrote yourself into a corner, then don't.