Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Hello, EFMingo.

Are you referring to the Role Play part of the forum? Actually, I hadn't ventured into those parts yet. But it seems interesting.

OzeeManDias likes this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

It's very dead at the moment, but i have the intention of reviving it. I believe if we can get a solid role play going, others will join and new ones will also spring up. I wish I had the time to be a GM, but I certainly can at least be a reliable player. If you feel like starting one, read the rules for it over in the head of that section, and relay any other questions you have to me on PM.

Morgoth_69 likes this.
  3. OzeeManDias

OzeeManDias Member

If you're interested in that whole roleplay shindig, as well as the offer of sharing ideas and the like regarding fantasy stories and fantasy worlds, feel free to shoot me a private message.

I haven't run a RP in a while, so I'm fairly tepid when it comes to starting one with the stuff that I have, but I'm always open to the concept.

Morgoth_69 and EFMingo like this.
  4. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Thanks for the idea. I have to do research on the subject and read some of the old RPG's from the forum. Any doubt, I will not hesitate to send you a PM.

5. Noir

Noir Member

Well, I'm 30 years old and am a straight, white, male who wants to write fantasy. You know, because we're just so horribly underrepresented in the genre...

But seriously, I'm being serious. What can I say? I love what I love.

I'm currently working on a setting where I am trying to combine elements of Gothic horror with high fantasy. Now I'm not under any delusions that this is 'fresh' or 'new' and I'm sure it can be boiled down to basic dark fantasy but I'm purposely avoiding the more basic fantasy tropes. It's really hard not to include dragons because I love dragons and I still might find a way to work them in but I'll leave them out if it starts to feel forced. I have an idea for elves that I think is far enough removed from their typical trope that I'd feel comfortable including them but they probably won't make the cut. I've already included vampires and werewolves which are very much staples of the genre.

But I'm rambling. Other things I'm interested in writing are short stories and flash fiction, also in the fantasy and horror genres. I love reading science fiction but I always feel terribly inadequate when I try to write it so that is something that I want to learn more about. I even have an idea and two MCs for a space opera setting but that's more along the lines of science-fantasy and I want to learn more about hard science fiction with an emphasis on more plausible science and technology.

Outside of writing, I'm an HVAC Commercial Installer. Does that sound interesting? It's not. I hate my job and it makes me miserable. I mean, I'm already miserable but the job doesn't help. I worked 85 hours last week. The last two days were each 13 hours and the rest of the week isn't looking any better. In fact, I'm going to bed as soon as I finish this post as I have to go in an hour early tomorrow. I would love nothing more than to write the next great American novel or become an overnight sensation like Patrick Rothfuss but I don't think that's going to happen. Money or no money, I want to write and see my work published because it makes me happy and I am in desperate need of more happiness.

So there you have it. A little something about me. Probably more than you wanted.

Good night :sleepy:

6. LucEdel

LucEdel New Member

Hi there. In a nutshell: 40-ish, father of one, married to one. Trained science journalist, academic implementation scientist on the way to his PhD in the UK. Science Fiction addicted, Fantasy intrigued and a natural born author. Mother tongue German, Auntie English. I had a nice little career as a novelist a couple of years ago (For those who are interested in it: https://www.amazon.de/Lucas-Edel/e/B00553UHVE?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2&qid=1574345053&sr=8-2) I love to discuess character, plot and weird ideas around story development and well, I'm here for a comeback. :)
    Nice to meet you!
    Cheers, Luc

Saphry, OzeeManDias and Tralala like this.
  7. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Welcome, everyone :superhello:

EFMingo and J Chris like this.
  8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I am your father, Luc. (betcha never heard that one before)

Welcome to the forum!

Tralala likes this.
  9. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Welcome, Luc!

I hope your 'comeback' is as rewarding as you wish.

Tralala and OzeeManDias like this.
  10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv New Member

I'm Sean Mitchell, sometimes known by my alias Roy G. Bivens.

I do it all and am open to it all...literally, I'm not just saying that, books of any genre aren't written yet but considered, journalism (especially sports journalism), poetry/spoken word, short stories, song writing, etc... nothing is off limits to me.

I've been in the media 13 years off and on but after a 5-year hiatus before which I was getting my work published locally (Houston area) and nationally, I'm ready to be known and make a splash. I want to impact the world and be remembered positively.

I have arrived! (pm me for my fan page info).

11. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Welcome, Roy.

Positivity above all else.

12. Jan P. Leonardy

Jan P. Leonardy New Member

A Straight Man in his Sixties writing Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Erotica all mixed together with Alternate Anthropology and Archeology! Phew! That was a lot! :)

Some Guy and minstrel like this.
  13. Bowie_the_Birb

Bowie_the_Birb Member

Hello all! Single parront/grandparront. Not gay or straight, but forever alone.
    I write Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I have a LOT of works-in-progress, but I can count on one hand the number of short stories I've actually finished (two, one got deleted).
    I like hearing from other writers, and I love to learn. I hope to learn a lot.
    Thanks from the Bowie!

Xoic and Some Guy like this.
  14. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

Hairy, loud, shouty builder and professional tea drinker by day time. I write non fiction , maanuals, howtoo's and information stuff on outdoors and army based stuff. I have around 25 tittles writen, most 25k to 300k words. All but four are unfinished or should i shal unpolished! I was once several years ago offered a deal for a publisher to buy 12 books off me. They wanted the one but offered to buy the rest. As that book was going to be rewriten by a ghoust and done in USA not UK I dealed my answer and the publisher folded on me instead. Looking to polish and rework the best four and then self publish

doing it for the vanity rather than the money

Some Guy likes this.
  15. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

So, you're my UK doppelganger! :D

hedgerowpete likes this.
  16. T. Riley

T. Riley New Member

Hello and Happy New Year! I'm married and a mother of three. I"m also a Navy veteran and live in Louisiana. I write adult fiction or erotica. I've self-published a novel on Amazon.com which I'm proud of but finding it difficult to find an audience who enjoys the genre I write. I'm hoping to find like-minded individuals so I can continue to write what I enjoy and to meet friends along the way.

Saphry, Some Guy and Steve Rivers like this.
  17. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Mid-to-late 50's-ish straight white male, practicing Stoic and student of philosophy and psychology, particularly the Jungian. Eclectically self-taught–no rigorous or academic training involved. I rarely confine myself to genres but mash them together until they either merge into something workable or the whole thing breaks. I tend not to write very 'realistically' in the way that word is generally used–I find literalism and factuality too confining. Myth, metaphor and imagination actually capture human truths much more accurately.

18. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Mid-to-late 50's-ish straight white male, practicing Stoic and student of philosophy and psychology, particularly the Jungian. Eclectically self-taught–no rigorous or academic training involved. I rarely confine myself to genres but mash them together until they either merge into something workable or the whole thing breaks. I tend not to write very 'realistically' in the way that word is generally used–I find literalism and factuality too confining. Myth, metaphor and imagination actually capture human truths much more accurately.

SethLoki likes this.
  19. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

lol, hello brother!!!!! we can stand either side of the coast and shout at each other if you ever want a chat.

My boss, laughs when people call up about me. "Old skool management" he says,

20. Some Guy

I just cheat and use Grammarly and Docs. Other than that I just try to say what I want to say. Results vary! Lol :D

21. Nesian

Nesian Active Member

I'm a drug lord and I write Christian science fiction.

Rockatansky and The Piper like this.
  22. HarukaHanayami

HarukaHanayami Member

Not sure if the thread topic is still the topic being discussed, haha.

I'm a woman in her twenties, married, writing poetry and stories about mostly women, to be honest. I suppose it's just easier for me to write from a woman's perspective. I like reading poetry myself, and am interested in most genres, as long as they keep my interest over the first few chapters. (Yes, I do judge books by their cover. If I don't like the beginning, I won't force myself to finish the book).

23. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

A drug lord who writes Christian science fiction

Sounds like they making of a great drama/ Redemption story

Some Guy likes this.
  24. HTau Atmenmeer

HTau Atmenmeer New Member

Hello! I am a new member and I am also a mother, but in the UK. I want to write sex stories too and I have self-published an Amazon kindle book. Show me yours and I show you mine? (a link please?) I will post a link to mine if you want. I hope this is not breaking protocol.

Saphry and Some Guy like this.
  25. Some Guy

Should be okay if no text. PM'd you a link.

HTau Atmenmeer likes this.