Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

The blogging platform is provided by a plugin, and that plugin has been discontinued. This means that we cannot continue to use it after upgrading to XenForo 2. However, there is a suitable replacement for it and since blogs are a popular feature of the forum they will stay. You can read more about that here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/blogging-system-upgrade-proposal.159777/#post-1716429

The Gallery was a place to post pictures rather than stories. It can still be accessed at https://www.writingforums.org/gallery for the time being, but it should not be used since it may be removed at any time without notice.

jannert likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Thank you @Komposten , that's very reassuring. I shall continue blogging with confidence.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@Spainglish - If you want to post your work in the Workshop area, a good thing to do right away is to start doing a few critiques. Build up a backlog, if you can—the writers will certainly appreciate your efforts, and will likely be pleased to return the favour once you start posting your own work. That way, as soon as your 14 days' membership and 20 posts have been fulfilled, you can put some of your poetry (or anything else) up for feedback—keeping to the 2:1 ratio.

Sorry to have misled you about when you can start blogging. I've been a Mod here for just over a year, but there are still some things I don't have handy in my head. I think I got it mixed up with contests—you CAN enter our writing contests as a New Member.

Anyway, thanks for checking, @big soft moose . The blog requirements are, indeed, 14 days' membership and 20 posts. Your status will change from New Member to Member at that point, and you'll be good to go. @EFMingo is right ...it's a good idea to back up your blog entries (copy/paste them into your own software files) so you don't risk losing the content, if the content is important for you to save.

Spainglish and EFMingo like this.
  4. Scarlett_Rav

Scarlett_Rav Member

I am a 41 year old divorced mother of 2. I have had various careers in my life, and have been teaching middle school for the last few. In the past I have mostly written young adult and literary fiction, recently started exploring romance and erotica. :)

Xoic and Cave Troll like this.
  5. winterlady52

winterlady52 New Member

I am a wordsmith and have been writing for about 50 years now. Have had some minor things published during college years and co authored a children's book. I am currently working on a fantatasy series that has taking up my time for the last ten years or so. I love my world and its characters and have completed two of the three books so far. I do have an editor reading it now. I am thinking of going the self publish route...any thoughts on this?

Catrin Lewis, Larro and Xoic like this.
  6. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Check out the self publishing forum. Caring Lewis has a thread about starting her own publishing house/company which I enjoyed reading.

Scott

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. Marscaleb

Marscaleb Member

"Who are you and what do you write?"

Hello my name is Caleb and I write crap!
    If you're looking for something bad to read and won't settle for just dry boring content, then I've got just what you need! Every paragraph is exciting because each one will find a new way to irritate you! Each page will deliberately look for rules and conventions to break, creating a jarring and incoherent slough that will test the limits of how you define the word "read!"

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea:
    [​IMG]

flawed personality and Xoic like this.
  9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Guess you could say you're a fertile writer then! :rolleyes:

Wait, I didn't mean you CT. But then I've never seen your writing. :p

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Well no, my first book is far from perfect. :)

Xoic likes this.
  11. GarryG

GarryG New Member

Hello, I'm Garry. I am a male in my early fifties, and I used to write fiction a while ago before it just sort of petered out for a bit.
    Back when I was writing I had a few short stories published, which may still be reachable on the interweb to this day.
    My main focus was on my 'Other Where' stories. I did self-publish one of these as a Novella, just to see what sort of reaction I would get, but mostly these were the stories that did the petering.

So that's me. Pleased to meet you.

Oh, yeh. I'm planning on starting up again, that's why I'm here.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Cave Troll

How does a short become a novella? That means that either
    the short isn't complete, or you added onto it to make it longer.

13. GarryG

GarryG New Member

Hello Cave Troll,

I meant that I made part of my larger 'OtherWhere' world specifically into a Novella, to see peoples reaction.
    The rest of the 'OtherWhare' writings were all source material; background stories, specific scenes, character introductions etc; for a novel that I never made. These were never complete entities on there own.

The various short stories I had published were totally different from these. Short Stories and 'OtherWhere' are two different things.
    Basically I want to finish the 'OtherWhere' Novel now. Although I do have some unfinished shorts from years ago as well.

Sorry if I wasn't clear :)

jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Jocelyn Rouselle

Jocelyn Rouselle New Member

Hi, I'm Jocelyn nice to meet you guys, looking to meet other fellow poets and writers n this forum and make good connections in this forum, making new friends and such.

Catrin Lewis, jannert, Rzero and 2 others like this.
  15. Larro

Larro Member

34 year old woman from Northern Ireland. Currently a stay-at-home parent and conservation volunteer on the side. No fixed genre as yet as I'm finishing the last couple of chapters of my first draft of my first novel which ended up being contemporary uplit with a thriller-esque edge. Not at all what I thought I would write but the story came and asked to be written :)

jannert, Rzero and Some Guy like this.
  16. Penhappy

Penhappy New Member

Hello
    I write various things but my main area is poetry. I also write small articles about literacy and writing. At the moment I am working on a book to do with an ancient philosophy but it is a little slow at the moment, lots of research needed. That is the way I am writing at the moment. Thanks

jannert likes this.
  17. Room with a view

Room with a view Senior Member

I'm me I'm 36 years old and I'm currently nestled in central Scotland on yet another stormy day. I also write stuff and things.

Currently working on a cyber punk novel. It's going well and I've only gone and got all attached to my protagonist. Strange thing is, is the title of the book. It's made zero sense for about a month until last night when I finally realised why I picked the title I did. It's to do with the plot but it won't be revealed/caught until about half way through the story. Just one of these happy little accident as Bob Ross would call them.

I'm toying with releasing the first chapter on here to let you guys get a read of it to see what you think but the problem is, without going into too much detail. I have AVPD so it's not something I willingly open myself up to voluntarily.

I'm half expecting my boss to contact me at some point this week to talk about the arrangements for returning to work but until then I'll just be sitting here writing my book because lockdown and bad weather don't leave me much in the way of alternative options.

jannert, Rzero and Some Guy like this.
  18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ha! I'm nestled here in central Scotland as well ...South Lanarkshire. And yes, the weather is not exactly wonderful, is it? The positive spin: it's making the grass green again, and folks aren't flocking to the beach to spread Covid-19. :)

We'd love to look at your first chapter, after you've fulfilled your Workshop requirements—14 days' membership, 20 posts and 2 critiques of other people's work. Once you've passed those markers, feel free to put it up. We're as good a 'first audience' as any, I reckon. :)

Room with a view likes this.
  19. Room with a view

Room with a view Senior Member

South Lanarkshire is a beautiful part of the country.

The weather just doesn't want to make up its mind at the moment, it got really nice late afternoon/early evening yesterday after spending the entire day roaring with wind, rain and some thunder and lighting. UNBELLLLLLLIEEEEVABLE!

Some people round here do love to spread the old Covid-19 round like a goodun I've noticed.

Thank you for the tips I'll check it all out.

jannert likes this.
  20. AmbitiousBird

AmbitiousBird New Member

I'm a 23 year old woman with a diploma in environmental sciences who writes fantasy novels during time off work as an ecological demonstration farm researcher. Most of my novels have been young adult, but veering into new adult, with female leads, though the occasional male lead can be fun to write as well.
    I also write some poetry and short stories, also in the fantast genre. I have a handful published in various collections, but my true interest is in the novel. I love the strategy involved in creating whole worlds and plots and watching the characters make their move, then adjusting the plot as I go. Though I would very much prefer the characters to stick to the general script. Revising can be such a nightmare when working through an overgrown jungle of twisting subplots and hidden plot holes. Not to mention the added temptation of going after the all-too-common-yet-awfully-adorable-I-need-it-now plot bunnies.

21. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

22. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I am a mid-50s male in the U.S. I am an avid comic book reader (Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Marc Guggenheim, and Ed Brubaker are some of my favorites to read). I’m also a fan of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles and Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series and have come to appreciate the actual James Bond books by Ian Fleming.

My writing genre is a mix of superhero/adventure/mystery. I have been create the world of superheroes not unlike Amazon’s ‘The Boys’. My story focuses on the ‘how’ and ‘why’ these characters exist. I hope I can organize the tales I have outlined to finally reveal that universe.

Rzero and Some Guy like this.
  23. letsusethethinkingchair

letsusethethinkingchair Member

I'm 30ish and gay as well as genderfluid. I mostly write fanfiction and sometimes poetry.

Rzero likes this.
  24. August2020

August2020 New Member

I am a person that writes for fun. I've put it off for years, but now I don't have an excuse. It's the perfect time now that the pandemic has limited distractions. I like writing short fiction stories, poetry about every-day-life, and writing for children. I hope to learn from the work of others, and I can help others by providing feedback.

Dalantri and Xoic like this.
  25. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I think it's time to reintroduce myself. I was a regular a fair few years back, ended up on the staff for about a year, then life got in the way. Happily, life has broadened my writing horizons. Less happily, I've not been able to write fiction the way I want to as I've done an MA, qualified as a teacher, and changed from my original legal career. Nowadays I teach history and law (subject leading in the latter), whilst co-ordinating the whole school's community interaction.

I write all kinds of fiction and like to keep myself on my toes. I also do more than dabble in non-fiction and were times different I would be spending the summer in local archives writing a new history of the industrial revolution to keep me entertained in the long days and short nights while I wait for my wedding.