Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You're here a little early, aren't you? ;)

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

may be he comes from the other side of the international date line

Xoic likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Shades of Phineas Fogg!

4. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Hello everyone, I'm going into my sophomore year in college as an engineering major. I mainly write essays and poems in my spare time. Nature (hiking, the sky, etc.) and metaphysics (writing about writing, freewill and determinism) are my main things. I look forward to helping everyone in the writing workshop out to the best of my abilities!

Night Herald likes this.
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

:D

Xoic likes this.
  6. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I can relate to ‘life’ making demands on writing. Your post made me think about my own ‘if times were different’. I would also spend my time doing research to build upon my creativity and knowledge to write. Writing is cyclical for me, moving from reading, researching, and writing. Even though most of it is for pleasure, it’s my retirement dream job!

Dante Dases and Xoic like this.
  7. Julia :)

Julia :) New Member

Hi everyone! I just discovered this forum and thought it was a unique way for authors to connect. If I'm being completely honest, I am a very young author but am looking to publish through some great agencies. I am currently in the long haul of writing a YA, sci-fi dystopian--which I've found to be quite hard--and am trying to write through the beginning part of the middle (if that makes any sense). :)

Dalantri, Xoic and Night Herald like this.
  8. Taxuh

Taxuh New Member

Hello there! I'm 22 from Argentina, writing short stories whenever inspiration hits. I normally write fantasy, sci-fi or romance, but I'm trying to get a feel for every genre. I've been writin on and off for a couple of years now, but haven't finished anything longer than 2k words yet.

Dalantri, Rzero, Xoic and 1 other person like this.
  9. costik36

costik36 Member

35 year old male, short horror stories.

10. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

YES!!! It’s cyclical for me too! I’m currently in a very technical state so I’m struggling with creativity. I come to the WF to keep me inspired and absorb the energy.

11. ByElleJayce

ByElleJayce New Member

Hi everyone :)

I'm new to writing - well, to fiction. I write for my living. Booooooring technical medical stuff that no one actually wants to read.
    But thanks to lock down I thought - hey, why not have a go at getting all those random stories out of my head.
    So here I am.

I live in Wales. Have 2 cats and a hubbie (notice the cats come first) and even though I'm way too old for it, have a thing for YA.

Larro, Dalantri and Rzero like this.
  12. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

“YA”?

13. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

Young adult. It's an age marketing category to identify books that are marketed to teenagers, but there are a number of adults who enjoy YA books as well

Richach and Dalantri like this.
  14. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

Like me, an adult who LOVES his comics.

15. Infearofacircle

Infearofacircle New Member

Hello to you all.

I used to be heavily involved in various poetry forums (not this one) back in my high school and college years. Unfortunately, the act of living and priorities drew me away from practicing the craft. I wish to, ultimately, get back into the mode.

I've mainly written poetry. However, I want to break out of my prose shell and actually pen a story down that exceeds the short mark. This forum looked to be the most plentiful in terms of topic and constructiveness. So, here I am.

As a preface, I will appreciate any and all feedback provided to me--however little--and wish to return the favor in kind.

Larro, Dalantri and Rzero like this.
  16. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Do I just type here? Am I doing this right? I'm a confused guy trying to navigate this very indepth web page and not having the best go.

17. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

well then I guess I do.

18. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Ok, Ok I'm a Texan who loves historical fiction. I've been submerged in the late Roman republic for the last three years 71 - 73 BC specifically, the Spartacus War. I've got 96,099 words of canned guts that I've submitted to any and every agent with eyeballs and a monitor. So far I've gotten only really lovely "no's" but before I upload my baby onto an Amazon or Barnes and Noble and attempt to self publish I thought I ought to at least kick around and make sure I don't do anything stupid.
    So now I'm here, I'm not much of a critic but I guess I'll have to hone that skill so I can share my opus with all of you. No, Ned Neiderlander is not my real name it's the name of Martin Short's character in The Three Amigo's. I chose it because he didn't want to die with a sissy's gun... he wanted to die with a MAN's gun and he could tell which planes were mail. Anywho's, I've worked hard my entire life from slinging cars to drilling oil and I'm sick of it. I've always been a closet nerd, so I took my useless knowledge and love of history and wrote the story I'd like to read. Honestly, I think I did a bang up job, but we'll see if I can handle criticism in about two weeks. Perhaps I'll be reduced to a whimpering pimple of a man either way we'll see; won't we. Being self centered, completely self absorbed and a narcist it's hard for me to care about other people work. That's why I'm glad there's the two for one deal, it forces me out of my comfort zone and to take a look at other aspiring writers in the same predicament that I'm in. Never in one hundred years did I ever think that when I finally chose a topic and completed it, after making sure it was perfect, would I ever receive a rejection. I'll be darned if it hasn't received over a hundred rejections or been outright ignored. I was floored, there aren't any agents in the business today who can see brilliant talent, unbelievable, and to have the unmitigated temerity to say, "it's not a right fit for our agency..." or " I don't believe I can sell this..." I couldn't believe it. Is everyone in the publishing business stupid? I'm sitting on a diamond here and no one wants it? The world has truly gone mad, at least that's my perception which may or may not be reality.

19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Modest too

first draft of your first ever novel... i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it isnt as good as you think it is.

You might well want to self pub it... but first get some beta reads and a professional edit... i'd be surprised if it didnt need substantial rewriting after each stage of that

20. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Aww thanks big guy, there's this new craze out there it's called sarcasm... check it out.

21. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Ah, the Third Servile War, in 73-71 BC. ;)

22. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

Probably worn out, everyone knows how it ends and Showtime horribly butchered it trying to plagiarize that abomination, 300 but we'll see. How about you Naomasa? I'll say this, at least the agents in the UK actually respond promptly and personally, they've been the most professional. Naomasa I kind of bit a little at big soft moose for the snark, I really dislike bullies and don't care much for people who like to belittle the new guy. I did so in knee jerk then saw all the tabs on his crap so I'll probably be banned sooner than later. The thing that hurts the most is, he might be right. So what do you write, I'll check it out?

23. big soft moose

hey no ones belittling you or bullying you... my 100k words were terrible unpublishable trash, the second 100k wasnt much better... i ht the sweet spot around 350k

the sarcasm in your post wasn't terribly obvious and if you'd really believed that you'd got this amazing talent (which is something we see pretty often) you'd need a reality check for your own good

also no one is going to ban you for disagreeing with a moderator on a personal level - that ain't how we roll here, we're here to help each other

(top tip when any of us are writing in black its just our personal opinion... we write in red text when we're speaking as moderators)

Komposten and jannert like this.
  24. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

" the first million words are practice. " I don't know who I'm quoting but that's kind of a popular saying around here.

Welcome. My advice to all new members: Grow a very thick skin. Try not to argue with critics are only representing their own opinions. Don' mess with Thumpers mother. You'll get banned.

I look forward to reading your work.

25. Ned Neiderlander

Ned Neiderlander Banned

10-4 learning as I go, thanks.