Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

You'd be amazed what you can fit in 3000 words. Sometimes more of what's not said finds greater thematic properties and depth than what is. Welcome to the forum.

Infel and MzSnowleopard like this.
  2. MzSnowleopard

MzSnowleopard Member

oh, I agree with you EFm, it's amazing. Since working the program with Institute for Writers. I've learned to hone my chapters to this limit. It makes for better content and forces every word to work hard.

EFMingo likes this.
  3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I've always been a fan of the overwrite and cut around half method. You get to word vomit all your thoughts, and then dig out the details after. Usually the remainder you can put together into something coherent and then edit more from there.

Infel likes this.
  4. Mana_Kawena

Mana_Kawena Member

Wow J., you are absolutely living the dream there with the small-town life! I'm a northwoods native, and boy do I miss the miles and miles of nothing but trees--
    So cool to see your artwork! My avatar is one of my characters as well (though the colored art is by a friend; I'm more of a semirealistic pencil-artist, having chosen the writing track after a long and hard debate between english, art, and biology). I'd love to chat writing with someone like yourself who doubtless has a deep affinity for the natural world and its inhabitants as I do!

Urocyon likes this.
  5. Urocyon

Urocyon Member

Hi Mana!

I read your post on my profile, and same to you! In regards to artwork, I'm very much a digital painter, and these paintings are the wellspring from which my world-building and, ultimately, stories flow. Your avatar is quite an interesting character; I've found line-work rather difficult so kudos to those who do it well. Will we be seeing more of this character here in story form at some point?

I too look forward to discussing writing and how personal interests such as nature affect the process. Feel free to leave me a message here anytime...

6. MzSnowleopard

MzSnowleopard Member

I know, right? I've had this happen a few times, not just with my with my fiction- other in things as well like journal entries and personal letters.

Sadly, it's not often I can do this with my writing. Usually I end up falling short so I have to flesh-out a scenario adding words to get to that count.

7. saldanamoreno

saldanamoreno New Member

Hello, I am a brand new member. 43 year old male from the Bronx. I decided to get back into writing and really focus on it. Right now I just want to focus on writing what makes me happy and that is a lot of different things.

8. Shell_Array

Shell_Array New Member

I'm a man in my twenties. I write either science-fiction or fantasy.

9. musicalSilence

musicalSilence New Member

I'm non-binary and ever so slightly younger than 18. I write mostly short fiction with lots of supernatural elements. Though I've also written a few essays and am currently working on a novel that I don't quite know the genre of. (I'm generally really dumb about genres.)

ThunderAngel likes this.
  10. Malum

Malum Offline

I'm 25 and have been in the process of editing a semi-autobiographical novel (completed five years ago as a first draft) in the hopes of immortalising myself, should I ever succumb to an ill fate. The main intentions I had in its creation were to prevent suicide.

I can't really pin a genre onto my book, maybe 'retrospective divinity' at risk of sounding pretentious. But yes, hello everyone. I recently spent £200 on a keyboard in the hopes of motivating myself and having a sort of power at my fingertips, so I saw no harm in supporting a community I intend to become a contributory part of and benefit from, as opposed to mindlessly browsing youtube as I so often do in my days spent procrastinating.

Edit: I write in an effort to give my existence purpose.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  11. Eternal1918

Eternal1918 New Member

I’m a 26 year old man, and I write whatever I feel like.

As a reader I enjoy sci fi and fantasy, horror and thrillers so I have tendencies to lean in that direction, but ultimately I sometimes just have to write whatever is in my mind. Wether it becomes a potential idea for something bigger or a random two page burst of words that leads nowhere.

ThunderAngel and shealeo like this.
  12. Sailingaway1342

Sailingaway1342 New Member

I am a straight 22 Female who prefers to write fantasy and thriller stories. I'm currently working on a novel(la) type that I'm hoping to get some critiques opinions on at some point while on here.

13. multiple-pen-names-777

multiple-pen-names-777 New Member

Hi, I'm 30 years old. Straight, white male in somewhere USA. I write alternative health educational materials (non fiction) under my real name, and I'm trying to build a business selling those trainings, some of which are/will be on video too.

Additionally, I've already written one story under one pen name, and I'm working on a second. My first story is a blend of real life and fiction (Part 1 is true story with only names changed and Part 2 is fiction but it fits into Part 1 as if it were real life). It is based on my life story, and also the kind of future I aspire towards. In it I share a lot of my political, spiritual and philosophical ideas. That story is an ever increasingly intense tragedy that has a resurgence half way through which leads to an incredible ending. Basically Part 1 is a gripping underdog story that goes down, down, down and Part 2 is a heartwarming romantic comeback that goes higher and higher and higher.

My second story is a romance novel that is mostly erotica once the couple in it reaches the "married" stage of the story. I chose to use a separate pen name for this story than for the first, even though both are Christian-themed stories. It is unique, I think, in that it is a CHRISTIAN-based erotic romance novel... and I understand that this will cause a lot of trouble with not being able to get it published by traditional Christian publishers, but I believe that these NEED to exist. My experience is that within the devout sector of Christianity there is a LOT of marital turmoil, sexual dissatisfaction and incompatibility, and sexual ignorance (don't know very many good tips and tricks so many married Christians have a lackluster bedroom experience.) That is part of my goal behind writing my second story, to promote more sexual adventurousness and improve marital satisfaction among married Christians and those preparing for marriage. The story is a fan-fiction spin off of the Fifty Shades Trilogy but lacking the abusive stuff and no sadomasochism.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  14. multiple-pen-names-777

Hi. I just figured I'd mention seeing how new you are to the forum (as am I) that I would gladly read and review/opine on what you are working on right now if you'd be willing to do the same for me. Maybe 1 chapter trades or something? :) I want feedback too, on things I've already written and stuff I'm working on now.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  15. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

ahem - its a nice offer, but we only allow the setting up of beta reads etc in the collaboration forum to which you don't yet have access (90 days and 100 posts)... in the meantime you'll be able to get feedback in the workshop once you pass 14 days and 20 posts and have given 2 critiques for each one you request.

check out the new starter guide for more info
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/

shealeo and Komposten like this.
  16. multiple-pen-names-777

Sorry about that. I'll make sure to try to follow all your rules as best as possible.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  17. multiple-pen-names-777

Sorry if this is old and will never get a response BUT...

Nice (about the romance thing). Both of my works so far (a complete one and a WIP) have a lot of romance though one story turns into an erotica and the other story only has a few mentions of sex and almost none of those mentions include any explicit stuff. In both of my stories I have written (in any part that's fiction) the romance of the characters in a way that portrays my personal values about how a couple should view and treat one another.

Somehow I weave in the idea of the man (or both the man and the woman) being poor and then getting rich and the woman's love for the man being completely detached from his income. Like she meets him when he IS rich and enjoys the benefits of that but when she hears his back story she feels sympathy and she tells him she would have loved him and still wanted to be with him even if she'd met him back then when he was barely getting by. I also seem to somehow mix my personal views about nature, medicine, philosophy, etc into one or both MC's when the male and female are of equal importance and rank in the story.

I guess I feel this compulsion to try to thrust my worldview into the minds of every reader while writing a story that gripping enough/sweet enough/sexy enough that they want to stick around to the end of the story and they accept those elements/views as being from the character but perhaps they will still start actually thinking about those things and make some changes in their lives based on that.

18. Sailingaway1342

Sailingaway1342 New Member

Sure! I don't mind doing that :)

19. egwriter

egwriter Member

I'm an unemployed software engineer in the USA with an interest in writing. I'm currently developing a video game which I'm writing a story for. My favorite genre is sci-fi and I hope to write a short story and book some day.

20. egwriter

egwriter Member

lol I relate!

21. egwriter

egwriter Member

Uhh.. No. lol

22. Anas

Anas New Member

I'm 34 used to only read, now i started writing too, hoping to write a book

Rzero and Kyle Phoenix like this.
  23. Anas

Anas New Member

i call myself a beginner writer. i would like to be able to write about anything even though i don't feel comfortable writing about fiction. i like horror though

24. Violet777

Violet777 New Member

Heya,

Signing in as a newbie, I write supernatural/ paranormal fiction...I've read many many books and like to disappear into a different world.
    I've been writing since I was little but have yet to finish anything. I have two projects on the go and I'm soo stuck and it feels a bit flat. :)

25. Triduana

Triduana Member

I'm a straight female, early 40s. I like to write urban fantasy - I dabble in other genres too but this is what I'm most comfortable with. I've been writing on and off for around 30 years and have a healthy pile of bad drafts.