Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Yurii

Yurii Member

Nice to see a young beginner writer here)

2. lady_rivers

lady_rivers New Member

Hi! I'm a woman in my mid-30s and I write romance. I'm bilingual and started writing in English once I had finished my formal language training in fear that I'd get rusty and forget all I'd learned. I guess it worked, because that was a little over half my life ago and here we are :)

Catriona Grace and Shayne like this.
  3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Good for you, Lady Rivers. I wrote my first short (really short: 200 words) story in Spanish last week. It wasn't brilliant and I looked up a handful of conjugations, but it was a story and it was in Spanish.

lady_rivers likes this.
  4. lady_rivers

lady_rivers New Member

Starting out is a huge challenge. I remember I'd end up writing the dialog in Eng, and everything else in my language until I got to the point I could find the words I wanted. It still occasionally happens that I'll write a word in my language between parenthesis and keep going so I don't lose the rhythm, and I'll check how to say it in English later.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  5. Catriona Grace

May I ask what is your first language? Contrary to popular belief, mine isn't English: it's Texas. ;)

6. MetalGrave

MetalGrave Member

Ello. I'm a straight male, I mainly try to write science fiction with supernatural elements. My main characters are male but the current one is female. I've only written three stories that i have yet to finish and one really cringeworthy short story.

Shayne likes this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Welcome. Keep writing those cringeworthy stories: perseverance is the path to improvement, and one day you'll be able to look back at the first stories and laugh before you stealthily bury them in a box of old newspapers. Recently I came across the first novel I ever completed. Oh, my goodness. :superlaugh:It's a wonder I ever wrote another word after that one. Also came across a short story I wrote for a class. Professor's single comment: "Wordy, dear." Fifty years have passed since that comment appeared, but it still rings in my head as the best, most succinct review I ever got.

MetalGrave and Xoic like this.
  8. SpectacularPennywyze

SpectacularPennywyze New Member

Currently Reading::
    Nothing
    Hello, I'm Pennywyze. I'm writing two 3-book novel series. The first series is "The Day Gypsies Stole Me", is based upon my life. My second series is "Interraton, Second Earth", and it takes place in a 9 planet solar system in the Andromeda galaxy. This is another fantasy series. The beings on Interraton are fairies, elves and demons. I'm still working out the direction this story will take.

9. A. P. Land

A. P. Land Member

Hello!

I am 34, a (mostly) heterosexual female -- mother to a seven-year-old boy, wife to an anthropologist with avid interest in human mate selection, career corporate worker -- living in California, just outside of Los Angeles. I write short stories. Some of my protagonists are male, some are female, and some are not as clearly defined. Most of my characters, however, seem to end up learning lessons. This probably comes from my motherly desire to teach my son the way to being a good human.

10. Catriona Grace

Welcome to both of you.

11. yugen

yugen New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm a 20 y.o. female student from Bosnia and Herzegovina that enjoys writing psychological thrillers. I can say that Harlan Coben's amazing work helped me a lot and definitely made me start writing short thriller stories. I'm still a beginner but I do put all the passion in my work. I also do the translation part and I have to admit it's really demanding. I think this is a great place for me to learn new things from experienced writers. I wish you all an awesome day! :blowkiss:

Andrew Hope likes this.
  12. Altair Abdi

Altair Abdi New Member

Hi
    Hi I'm a 20 years old male and I'm a 2nd year medical student. I generally write fantasy fiction and like world building. I usually tend to make my stories interconnected like they occur in the same universe. I like to make my Mc start from young age and then start their story. A little bit fan of some lighthearted smut. Other than that I'm fascinated by fantasy in general. Lobe reading nobels in my spare time.. Tho I also like to make friends so if anyone of you wanna be friends please HMU... Im a chill person with a lot of patience so if you wanna talk I'm heee..

13. Mahii

Mahii New Member

Hi, I'm a 17 years old girl and I write horror and fantsy novel. I try to find my own style in writing. My favorite writer is R.L. Stine.

Catriona Grace and yugen like this.
  14. yugen

yugen New Member

Welcome :) nice to know there are more horror lovers here :) I am one too!

Mahii and Andrew Hope like this.
  15. Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope Member

Me three!

Shayne and yugen like this.
  16. Catriona Grace

Welcome.

A true story about R.L. Stine, as told by a local teacher. Happened about twenty years ago. A couple of her junior high journalism students decided to interview Mr. Stine. They checked and he was listed in the phone book (NYC, maybe? I don't recall that part.) Anyway, they called the number and his wife answered. They told her what they wanted and she called him to the phone where he proceeded to give them a very good interview that was printed in the junior high monthly paper. Sounds like a very nice man as well as a very popular writer.

Mahii likes this.
  17. AivenBlackfire

AivenBlackfire New Member

I am a 25 year old, mother of two, who enjoys writing Fantasy based books with splashes of horror and romance. I think my favorite part about writing in general is the actual plotting of it all. I've also been considering writing Young Adult Fantasy books as well.

Yurii and yugen like this.
  18. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Aiven.

19. Yurii

Yurii Member

looks great!
    Nice to meet you

20. Fate166

Fate166 Banned

24 and looking forward to sell...

21. lady_rivers

lady_rivers New Member

I'm Brazilian, my first language is Portuguese.

May I ask what are some differences between general American English and its Texan variation?

22. Catriona Grace

Certain idioms and accents so distinct they sometimes border on foreign, mostly. I was making a joke, but with some seriousness as well. I was on a call one time, and as soon as the gentleman I was there to see opened his mouth, I wanted to say, "And what part of East Texas are you from?" I still get hassled where I live now about saying ohl for oil, cee-ment for cement, and giving the word "four" two syllables, among other things. ;)

A good friend is from Brazil. She can understand most of my Spanish, but I miss a whole lot of her Portuguese words.

23. Nesrin

Nesrin Member

A discovery of Witches/Lord of the Rings
    I am a female in my mid-twenties and I enjoy reading mystery and fantasy novels and I like writing the same thing. Recently I have been playing with two ideas, one for a webcomic and the other for a novel. When I write my characters I try to avoid them being younger the twenty as I find a lot of plots with 16-year-olds eye-roll inducing, But my main character does tend to be female. I try to stay away from cliches though and have the women be pretty independent. I like to write in some romance however I don't make it a pillar for the story. Rather just a nice addition.

24. Patsy Derrell

Patsy Derrell New Member

Seven Deadly Sins Manga
    Hi! I'm Patsy! I'm 17 years old(18 In September) & I write Fantasy Graphic novels & Scripts!

25. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Patsy.