Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Annette

Annette Member

Currently Reading::
    The 15 Lives of Harry August
    short stories, faction, essays, poems... Usually having to do with whatever emotional hurdle I'm clearing. I've lived a hundred lives and had a lot of adventures many of them quite unsafe and illegal and entanglements with the wrong sort of folks according to society. I like writing about how I internalize the reality around me and my process of determining what is real and what is fantasy and finding the harmony in between those worlds. I guess I'm my favorite subject.

Lawless and Vince Higgins like this.
  2. professorjpj

professorjpj New Member

What Am I would be a far more appropriate question. Im a Unique storyteller using writing as my medium, to tell true stories to the world unlike anything this world has ever seen before. Best answer I can give.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2022
  3. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

I’m a hidden perv, I write FanFiction, working on 2 at once have started posting my first one

I crave to better myself through my writing, and also use it as a weird form of therapy as I’m too cheap to go see a real doctor

AlyceOfLegend and October Haale like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Always happy to welcome cheap hidden pervs striving to better themselves.

5. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

Well if you really feel like that I can pop the link for my Fic, I like watching the numbers jump and seeing how many others pervs are out and about

6. Catriona Grace

Also always happy to welcome rich out-in-the open vanillas looking to better themselves, but I don't follow their links, either. ;)

GenericSNRI likes this.
  7. Sasha_Mona

Sasha_Mona New Member

Hi! I'm Sasha and I'm 22 years old. I like to write fan fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy! It's nice to meet you all! :D

8. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Sasha.

9. AraROO1111

AraROO1111 Member

The world
    I don't think age matters here.. I write what i write. It just depends on what needs to get out on paper. It's kind of like a floatation device for the words. and they just flow how they flow.
    I'm not saying that it may always make sense but at this point we all tell ourselves something a little different to get us through the night, right?
    and its within the darkness do we find our light. or some shizz like that...

10. Catriona Grace

Welcome to the forum, AraROO1111.

AraROO1111 likes this.
  11. AraROO1111

AraROO1111 Member

The world
    Thank you! its my first trying a writing forum like this!! glad i found this one! it seems great so far!

12. Ikigai

Ikigai New Member

I'm a 35 year old male, just joined. I like reading, listening to all kinds of music (except I don't know much about classical music. Gotta brush up on that) art, LEGOs and the finer things in life (in those rare occasions in which I'm able to afford them) I write poetry and I keep a journal which I update every few days. I want to write my first short story and am starting to learn the basics of writing in prose. My dream would be to write stories with a fantasy/sci-fi/speculative flair to them. I would also love to write comic books.

AraROO1111 likes this.
  13. Catriona Grace

Learning the basics of prose writing is all well and good, but don't put off writing a story while pursuing the academics. Just sit down and tell a tale. When you've done that, write another and another and another. By the time you've learned the basics of prose writing, you'll have a nice little pile of experimental writing as well.

Annette likes this.
  14. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    This is an excerpt from The Italian Symphony by Felix Mendelssohn. It's the soundtrack to an iconic scene in my favorite movie.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  15. Catriona Grace

One of the best scenes ever made.

16. Vince Higgins

Recommendations;
    Uplifting-Festive Overture by Dmitri Shostakovich.
    Dark and Sinister-Mars, The Bringer of War by Gustav Holst.
    Serenity-Simple Gifts section of Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland.

17. Catriona Grace

My suggestions based on a few decades singing in orchestral choirs:

Saint Cecelia Mass by Antoine Scarlatti. If you can find the version with the choir of St. Martin's in the Field, grab it. Some of the other versions drag along like a sack of potatoes in mud.

Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. Great fun to sing and to listen to. Get a translation- parts are hysterically funny and/or weird, including the song sung by a swan as it roasts over the fire.

Ninth Symphony by Wolfgang von Beethoven. Listen to it enough and you can sing along.

Requiem by Guiseppe Verdi. One of the most heartbreaking pieces of music ever written.

And once you have even a small grasp on classical music (or what the hell- no grasp at all works, too):

Anything by P.D.Q. Bach. Example:

18. Vince Higgins

Deine Zauber Binden Wieder. I know, I know. My spelling in German is atrocious. I played in my youth, trumpet trombone and tuba. The same instrument, just different range. Festive Overture, and Holst's Jupiter were two of my favorites. Euphonium on both of those. Also called tenor tuba.

19. AraROO1111

AraROO1111 Member

The world

WELCOME!

20. AraROO1111

AraROO1111 Member

The world
    Looking forward to be able to read your stuff!

21. Darcy

Darcy New Member

Yangdere
    I am a newbie in writing and i usually write fanfictions. You can find me on Wattpad with the acc name @darcyfiles. I also enjoy reading Chinese novels which are translated in English. And basically i am a reading addict... can't stop reading stories even for a day. Anyways nice to meet everyone, hope i can learn more about writing here.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    petra4, Catriona Grace and EFMingo like this.
  22. Derek S Hemenway

Derek S Hemenway New Member

I'm an aspiring author who has been conceptualizing and writing since high school. I have a fairly dramatic style of writing and focus on dark fantasy and historical fiction with some occasional sci-fi stories.

Vince Higgins and EFMingo like this.
  23. Scott Lette

Scott Lette New Member

I am an Australian writer, author of a few published short stories and lots of supplemental writing for a few select pen-and-paper roleplaying games some years ago now.
    And have been a storyteller of some form or another since my days of early childhood in the 1970s.

Like most writers, I have worn so many hats that if I owned and wore a hat still, I'd nickname it 'career'.
    Mostly odd jobs, but did a short stint in the corporate sector as the last century ended and this current one began.

Genre is the bit I strain at, and one I suggest we all take turns straining at from time to time to keep the battle against stasis ongoing.
    I am told I write 'slipstream', a term I had not heard of until it was mentioned but one that shall do for now.
    Once again, you can blame Bruce Sterling (aka. coined the 'cyberpunk' genre label) for the slipstream genre label.

I thought I would register here and post a bit, mostly as I don't use social media (it's the worst sort of writing really) but thought some occasional interactions with fellow writers might be beneficial.

Apple Logies in advance,

SALette.

24. Catriona Grace

Hi, Scott. Welcome. Lots of "done a little of everything" writers here, me included.

25. little miss impatient

little miss impatient Banned

Straight, 51 (52 next week), white male, from Yorkshire, England. Like most of you I have worn a few different hats but, for the past 22 years I've been a programmer.

I started writing when I was teenager, but never really took it seriously. When I did finally throw out a few novels, a whole trilogy, and a few novellas into the self-publishing world, it was 2011 and I felt I was really late to the party. The books kept coming though, more novels, shorts and novellas, until 2012 when my world kind of turned upside down when my youngest daughter died. My writing dried up completely when my wife died the following year. Somehow I managed to publish a novella in 2015 and another two in 2017.

A few years and a dose of Post Traumatic Stress (and just as stressful treatment) later and I'm starting again, finally. Currently I have a dozen short stories out on submission and regularly enter Writers of the Future. I mostly write fantasy, both serious and not, but dabble in soft sci-fi and have even tried a little horror.

I'm currently editing a not so serious fantasy novel and writing shorts as they occur to me, which does seem to be a bit more frequently these days.

I'm racking up the magazine rejections but more and more are personal, so it's all looking good.