Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Laura Gallegos

Laura Gallegos New Member

While I am a woman, I am no longer young. ;) Call me over the hill. Still writing romance novels like I did as a young girl, but with a more grown up perspective. I typically write romance novels but have tried my hand at throwing in some sci-fi and some medieval period pieces. I've done fairies and vampires but only in the context of fanfiction. I am preparing to publish my debut novel (ironically titled, <u>Coming Attraction</u>) and will be participating in NanoWriMo 2022. This time I take on my first non-fanfiction fantasy about a young boy named Tiffin who must ward off an "evil" dragon from burning up his village.

Catrin Lewis and AlyceOfLegend like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Well that's a matter of perspective. From where I stand you're a spring chicken. And remember—you're always younger than you will be. :D

Welcome aboard our rickety little website. Hope you enjoy it here.

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Double the welcome from me, Laura. My youth flew the coop some decades ago, and except for the physical aspects of the same, I don't miss it much.

petra4 likes this.
  4. Tim D. Smith

Tim D. Smith Member

Currently Reading::
    The Baron in the Trees
    My book finally came out on October 31st.

Catrin Lewis, Catriona Grace and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

Well that was a happy halloween, wasn't it? Congratulations!!

6. Catriona Grace

Congratulations, indeed!

7. Vincent Marcassoli

Vincent Marcassoli New Member

I'm a gay male from the US of A writing a novel about the political climate in US of A. As I write, I'm embodying the protagonist myself. The protagonist is also gay. He is unhappy with division in his country. He becomes a political activist before claiming the title as the leader. Many questions come with this.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Well I thought I was a straight sci fi fantasy writer, but I just pubbed my first detective / police procedural - and loved it!

Cheers, Greg.

9. Thestoriesinmyhead

Thestoriesinmyhead New Member

I'm a French woman in my twenties, and I've written a few poems and short stories in French when I was younger, but I moved to the UK about 7 years ago and only write fiction in English, because it's a language that just comes with more creative freedom in my opinion, written French is quite rigid it that makes sense ? I like to read and write paranormal romance, anything with vampires, witches, shapeshifters, ancient mythology etc. I also write for my job, in both languages, as I'm a copywriter and translator.

10. Catriona Grace

Welcome here, Thestoriesinmyhead. I don't speak or write French, and would be interested to know what makes written French more rigid than English.

Do you have a nickname for future use, or do you prefer your official appellation?

11. Thestoriesinmyhead

Thestoriesinmyhead New Member

Thank you :) ! My nickname is Soph. Written French is really formal, we can't really write like we would speak, and I personally like novels that are written in a more plain, how people speak in real life style, which is also what I like to write.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  12. Catriona Grace

Happy to have you here, Soph. Thank you for the explanation. Could you mount a rebellion and write in French the way you write in English? It would be revolutionary and make you famous, hmmm?

13. venuschansama

venuschansama New Member

I write fanfiction for a game called Azur lane and am currently trying to figure out how to start chapter 3.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  14. JBean

JBean Active Member

You can call me Bean. I just turned *cough* this past Tuesday. I only write one thing... the same story I have been developing and working on since about... 2002?? It is a dramatic fiction story about a stormy relationship between two men. One is gay the other is...? I am not a "writer" per se, so I struggle to write this story but I am obsessed with it and I need to get it out in the way I see it, feel it, in my imagination. My lack of writing skill handicaps my ability to express the story to its fullest potential which is a crime because it is an amazing story. I can watch it in my head like a favourite movie so it kills me that I can't GET - IT - OUT!! Which is why I am here. After many years I got my inspiration back with a vengeance several months ago and I get really discouraged reading how well other people write , even the most succinct and simple communicating of ideas or description and here I am overthinking crap like wow! I would NEVER have thought to say x, y or z like that- and it stunts my motivation to write like if it is not as good as what others can write there's no point. I've tried the whole seeking feedback from other writers thing and that was disappointing. :meh: I am a full time student and while I should be studying, I am totally consumed by this damn story. It's all I think about, all I want to do at times is talk about it and since I no longer have a muse or guinea pig who is interested (or willing to) hear my ideas and new writing I am here for that reason, too. It just does not come easily to me and I wish it did. My envy of natural-born gifted writers is hefty.

My main trouble spots are:
    1: Dialogue. Creating non-stagnant repetitive dialogue and not doing the whole "he said" "she said" over and over or not making it so vague it's hard to keep track of who is talking.
    2: Plot development. I have a story. I know what it is about. My boyfriend stabs me with the whole "but what is your story about? question. I can tell you in astonishing detail everything you need to know- but how to link all the hundreds if not thousands of isolated scenes together is beyond me.

That's all I got for now, other than needing to greatly improve my skill on how to write, improve use of vocab, etc. Bill Bryson, for example, makes me want to just give up and burn it all. The countless hours that have been invested in writing or working on related projects over the years off and on is out of this world. I've compiled playlists and even soundtracks on CD inspired by the story and have created video projects using photos from a collection I've kept of various people, places or things that represent my characters and stuff into movie trailer-esque slideshows. It's literally an entire world in my imagination that I wish I could be in or climb in bed and watch whenever I feel like. It is my favorite story and man am I in love with both these characters.

15. Xoic

Actually you write quite well. You seem well educated in terms of grammar and wording etc. Just hang around here, take part in discussions, read a lot of critiques, do some yourself, and get some done on your work. Get some books on writing and story structure. You'll improve just from hanging around in here, trust me. But you'll improve a lot more and a lot faster if you get some good books and watch a bunch of videos about writing and story (which are not the same thing).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    petra4, JBean and ps102 like this.
  16. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I'm Andrae. I'm a drifter. I pop in and out every so often. I first came here years ago and will always have a soft spot for the writers here.
    I write a few different things. I have written short and long fiction in the fantasy genre—although I don't profess any of it is worth reading. I have two nonfiction books published. One is an amazon best-seller, which I'll be re-releasing in February. It's in the social justice DEI genre. Likewise, I write magazine articles about writing, editing, publishing, and Diversity/Equity/Inclusion. I occasionally dabble in poetry behind the scenes. These days I do more editing than writing, but I'm breaking back into writing with a couple of books i hope to write and publish this year.

Dewey likes this.
  17. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Nice to meet you. First let me just say you've got a good command of language. The greatest skill of any writer is to tell a good story plainly. It's harder than it sounds, but if you're going through the over thinking phase, you're in the right direction. Just remember, writing can be very simple. Even good stories can be simple. We talk a lot about complexities and layers. In my mind, a good story develops like a snowball. You start with the shape and keep adding to it. Hope to see you finish it. :)

JBean likes this.
  18. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

You and me both brother, I see a beautiful movie of how I want events to play out in my head, but when I type it out I only see a dumpster fire of letters. Though I think I’m getting better.

JBean likes this.
  19. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Read books as much as you can as this will expend your vocabulary. As for writing, keep a journal for yourself, writing daily. Between the two (2) of these, you writing will improve greatly.
    Being here, writingforums.org will give you further help. Before coming here myself, I'd been on Quora, answering questions etc which helped my writing in general.

Xoic likes this.
  20. JBean

JBean Active Member

Just saw this reply now, it's good to hear someone speak of the same sentiments about their story!!!! Can totally relate to the seeing it as a movie thing. I can put on my story "soundtrack" and actually watch it like a movie in my head. Why haven't we invented a way to record and transfer to video what's in our minds?? Sigh. I have actually experimented with writing segments in screenplay format but I disliked the lack of detail. What is yours about? Until I finish my semester I have to (try) to put the recreational reading away. I am spending WAY too much time in story land lately instead of school but that inspiration hits and I can't stop. Maybe it is my escape from the drudgery and stress of school lol

21. Dewey

Dewey Active Member

I'm a sophomore in high school, and a young female African American writer and artist [however on the interwebs i exist as a blue cat with a beanie because I can]

been branching out from writing warrior cats fanfics and I write fantasy, also working on an online murder mystery short story series with arg elements to it

22. Dewey

Dewey Active Member

whoops replied by mistake

23. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Dewey. Happy to have you here. I didn't know there was something called warrior cats fanfic, but I like cats and the idea of kitties in Viking helmets appeals to me.

24. Dewey

Dewey Active Member

Thank you, and it's nice to meet you :]

and yeah Warrior Cats is a series with interesting worldbuilding, unfortunately it's gone on slightly too long by now as a book series so it's starting to get a little uncreative plot-wise

25. Xoic

It does kind of look like a viking helmet, doesn't it? But I think it's a knit cap with cat ears emerging.

Hi Dewey, nice to meet you!