Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Shaezy

Shaezy New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a 34yo woman in Sydney, Australia. My writing tends to be quite self indulgent and reflects the period of my life at the time. I have many notebooks filled with endless teen angst journals, travel narratives from my early 20's, then "growing up" tales from my later 20's. Currently as a married mother of two children, I seem to be focusing on the motherhood journey, specifically as a mother who experienced PND. This period of writing is more cathartic than creative.

Most of my writing is fictitious based loosely on fact, but I am working on the theory that ANYTHING I write is - as I tell my 4yo as he learns to ride his bicycle - practice, practice, practice! I hope to focus more on the imaginative side of writing now that the children are a little less dependent on me and my head is a little less loony bin!

2. Ged

Ged New Member

18, from Romania, soon to be studying German and Swedish along with English in college, bent, into fantasy, literary and historical fiction. I have a terrible loathing of Terry Pratchett, and find his work too overblown and overrated. My favourite writer is Guy Gavriel Kay.

Yes.

I write fanfics mostly, and original fantasy.

3. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Ooh I want to do this too!

23 year old male currently in Afghanistan about ready to go back the United States. Married to the most beautiful woman on the planet, but no children yet. Currently writing a fantasy novel that will hopefully inspire hope in others and many other positive emotions as well. I won't seriously write anything else until the final draft is done. Being back in America will mean that I will actually have free time to do so, which is awesome.

1 person likes this.
  4. animefans12

animefans12 Member

I'm a 14 year-old high schooler. (Currently 10th grader) I don't plan on being an author as a job, but as a hobby. I currently reside in Florida, USA and writes paranormal stories in my free time. I use to write fantasy, action, and adventure genre-type stories, but I have such interest in paranormal stuff, so... My writing style is usually written in first-person point of view and I pour out my emotions based on the characters reaction in the story. ^^

5. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Holy off topic-ness, Batman!

6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

And use some air, too. All that as a single paragraph? Quite impressiv,e in a way. :D

But enough off topic. I'm 33, norwegian, currently writing a mystery sci-fi thing and have probably answered here already. Whoopsie.

7. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I'm 28 years old guy working as a freelancer for all kinds of visual media. I like it that way because I don't have to go to work every day from 9 to 5. I have experience with almost all aspects of film making, print design and webdesign.

I live in Northern Sweden right now but been living in other countries too. I like learning languages and enjoying east-asian pop culture.

Anyways, I like writing stories that always have something otherworldly in them, whether they take place on Earth or elsewhere. I'm just so bored with the ordinary world I always need something special. Right now I'm working on building a sci-fi/fantasy franchise which would become a foundation for many projects in many types of media. It's a hard and ungrateful work because I can't publicly share any parts of it for various reasons. I never ask people for private feedback (not anymore) because the people who promised to "surely" give some actually never did.

My works reach across many genres because they always describe lives of characters in detail. That means they contain sad and sometimes twisted situations that, if shown here, would make Cogito go rabid.

8. Hiswatus

Hiswatus New Member

I'm a 17 years old girl from Finland, and I've been "seriously" writing for almost 3 years now.

I was always sort of a book worm, and in elementary school I read lots of young adult books, like fantasy and horror. So, mainly thanks to R.L. Stine, I was a quick reader when I went to High School. After that I didn't read so much, but then my friend hooked me on Twilight and I became obsessed with reading it. After finishing the series I started reading fan fictions on the Internet, which lead to fast progression of my English skills.

Thanks to fan fiction, I discovered countless of others books (and fandoms) worth reading, like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, which, to put it bluntly, I would probably have never read otherwise.

Nowadays, I'm mostly interested in scifi, detective stories, fantasy and adventure, with a little bit of romance in them. I have a few on-going fan fictions in progress, about Doctor Who, Torchwood and Lord of the Rings.

I read way too much fan fictions than is healthy, and dream of writing "a real book" in the distant future. I'd also like to go into an University to an English speaking country, and maybe study literature and English as my major subjects.

9. JeffBoos

JeffBoos New Member

The beautiful thing about writing is I can be me in any shape I want to be

10. Liza

Liza Active Member

I'm a Russian girl who lives in Canada. I write fantasy, it's a habit. But my favorite genre is romance, romance. Nothing like Twilight, real romance.

11. Hysteria1987

Hysteria1987 New Member

I'm a 22-year-old male, born and raised in Australia. The first serious story I attempted I wrote when I was 15 or 16, and it wasn't exactly very good. It was... well, I suppose you could say it was a bit of a combination of fantasy and sci-fi, and it occurred in a pre-established universe. Since then, over the years ideas have come and gone, and I've watched my writing drastically improve, though there's still a long way to go yet. Typically a shiny new idea will distract me from whatever it is I'm currently working on, and as a result very little of my stories actually get finished. Now I'm looking to change that, and take this more seriously. Part of my strategy for doing so was registering here =P

When I write I'm looking for an escape from the modern world- something really different- so I'm attracted to fantasy and sci-fi. Even if the story I'm writing takes place in what we would know as the modern world, I'll typically try to add sci-fi or fantasy elements.

12. TimesNewRoman

TimesNewRoman New Member

I'm a 19 year old female in the US and I write essays, non-fiction, and poetry. I also write Harry Potter fanfiction and essays.

I have trouble with fiction but I hope to get into it one day.

13. Johny Swift

Johny Swift New Member

I'm a 27 year old hermit who obsesses over the human mind, I write in several genres, however most of my work tends to be either dark or tragic. I am basing that off of the feedback I have recieved though, I believe that most of my work is as uplifting as it is tragic.

14. Ayrxson

Ayrxson New Member

I'm a 23 (soon to be 24) year old female (no real sexual preference. I love people for who they are, not their sexual organs) who lives in the states, in college (no real major, just dabbling at the moment).

I primarily enjoy reading sci-fi and fantasy so those are the genres I feel most comfortable playing with. My main characters are usually male with supporting female characters. The current story I'm working on is in a fantasy setting, but because I'm heavily influenced by the events going on in the world today I try to integrate similar events/situations into my story. I like it when a fantasy dishes out the ugly, lightly seasoned with a pinch of romance.

Not published. But maybe someday, hopefully...

15. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

LOL. Did mean Organs or Orientation? The organs made me laugh because I am a guy and we... well you know, only think that way some times.

Personally, I agree that the shape and form should not be as important as the soul that resides in it.

I have written stories with both Male and Female MCs and each time they where strong. I never wrote a week MC yet.

16. BonanzaFan2011

BonanzaFan2011 New Member

I'm a young 50 year old woman who has just taken up writing fan fiction with my main interest being the tv show Bonanza. When first joining a Bonanza forum I had no knowledge of fan fiction and now I'm totally addicted. After reading loads and loads I decided I wanted to write my own stories as I have thought of lots of story plots and ideas. Getting a beta read was hard work and my first story thanks to her was a disaster. I am hoping to resurrect that story and re write it the way I wanted it written. I'm working on a second Bonanza story now. Any other Bonanza fans?

17. Jonp

Jonp New Member

I'm a 26 year old guy from England. I got through two science-based degrees before discovering my love of writing, and in the past few years I have written a number of scripts (TV episodes for a series I came up with, feature length screenplays, short films etc) and I am currently over 76,000 words into my first novel, which is fantasy but not the elves and dwarves type fantasy. I tend to completely make things up as I go along and it's worked for me so far. I even have the plot of a sequel mapped out in my head before even finishing this one. I also have a number of other ideas in my head, including a dystopian scifi story, a haunted house/horror story, a supernatural detective thriller, a zombie drama with a twist, and a present-day scifi fairytale romance. So yeah, I don't adhere to any particular genre, nor any particular style of writing. Most of what I do is just for me, I doubt it would ever catch on with others.

18. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I tend to favor sad stories over happy ones. When there's too much happiness in a story it makes me squirm.

19. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Pretty sure organs was what she meant...as in she loves people for who they are, not for what equipment they're packing downstairs...

I'm a 25-year-old roller derby chick living in Las Vegas and waiting to start librarian school. I write a little bit of everything, but if I had to describe most of the projects that I've actually finished, I suppose it all ends up being somewhat snarky glimpses into how I view the world. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

20. Kaichi

Kaichi New Member

I'm a 19 year old african american girl who create stories mainly set in sub-suharan Africa or base on it. Fantasy is my favorite genre.

21. Domino

Domino Active Member

I'm twenty-six years old. I studied animal care at college, have worked and volunteered at a couple of animal shelters, and now work with horses.

Although I'm not doing well with my writing these days, (need a heck of a mighty kick up the backside,) I suppose my stories tend to fall into the "modern fantasy" genre.

22. Saffron

Saffron New Member

I'm a 23-year-old female living in London and I write high/political fantasy, and historical romance (hoping to be a published fantasy novelist; the historical romance is just for fun/FictionPress)...

I also enjoy urban fantasy and science fiction. I have experimented with SF short stories, but my scientific knowledge is limited and they're never very good... I'd like to write a SF or post-apocalyptic novel one day.

I could NEVER write chick lit or modern/literary fiction. It would be terrible. :redface: Maybe horror, but I scare myself easily and wouldn't get any sleep. :redface:

23. garnerdavis

garnerdavis New Member

Interesting thread. I'm a straight male, from the U.S., in his 40's. I read mainly fantasy, and I write only humor.

24. Lacie Locket

Lacie Locket New Member

21-year-old left handed vegetarian from Ireland. I'm a student. I studied Multimedia (Film, sound, design etc..) and I am currently studying Game Design.

My passion is Fantasy, I read, write and breathe it. I write some Science Fiction too from time to time.

I also write reviews about games, generally RPGs, TCG, Indie and Strategy.

I have written scripts before but I much prefer immersing myself in world creation. As someone said a few pages back, I like playing God. :]

25. Ged

Ged New Member

Have you played anything in the Gothic series?

/offtopic