Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Venom.

Venom. Active Member

I'm aspiring in life to be many things, I'd love to write screenplays or novels with a side of my main job. I usually write a cluster of things, one genre that has stuck around with me -since I was Four- is the zombie genre. Something about it appeals to me so much I have no idea why.

I write about many things; Horror, Comedy, Drama and anything which intrigues me.

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I'm a college student, studying modern languages, with an unclear vision of the future - to the extent that I don't even know which country I'll be living in next year. I'm not the type to plan, clearly, unless it's fiction (where I'm known to write 20~35k outlines). I spent a year writing articles for a local paper before leaving that town a year ago and I was published in a charity anthology a few months back. I've also had multiple other pieces of short fiction published in the past. Being a writer is not one my ambitions: I aim to be an English (language, not literature) teacher.

I mostly write M/M erotica, erotic fiction, romance and psychological thrillers. Human relationships and sexuality fascinate me most and, luckily, readers have told me that realistic characters and dialogue are my strength. Meanwhile, they've also said that action scenes tend to be my weakest point.

Some Guy likes this.
  3. Suadade

Suadade New Member

I'm eighteen, male, straight, a music student and I mostly write song lyrics. I also occasionally write poetry, though I had to get that period in there because putting "teen" and "poetry" in the same sentence usually does not bode well =)

That said, I'm always excited to make forays into story writing. I'll probably never have the discipline, time or energy to write a novel but I churn out a short story once in a while.

4. barnz

barnz New Member

I'm an 18 year old guy studying English, specializing in Creative and Technical Writing. I write novels and short stories with the occasional ranting essay. I don't think I can classify my work right now - my interests are too varied - but I write anything from literary to fantasy to horror.

5. Ligrano

Ligrano New Member

I'm a 25 year old male from Newcastle who used to write primarily fantasy fanfiction trying to get back to original writing while also trying to get out of my mostly improvisational writing habits. Now trying to focus on Sci fi in addition to Fantasy but my innate need for realism is a major pain in the backside

Some Guy likes this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

The cool thing is that you can turn your penchant for realism into an advantage for your SciFi and Fantasy. The best works in those genres, in my opinion, are those where the characters, whoever and whatever they are, act and react realistically within the bounds of their worlds. In other words, it's not mainly about the technology or the magic system, but about the characters dealing realistically with those things. That's one reason why The Lord of the Rings continues to be so popular. The people in it, of whatever race, grow and develop and have to deal with their situation in a way that resonates with the present-age reader.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

What I am, and who I write?
    I'm just Some Guy, 29++, desperately trying to get an epic(?) zen-life-journey story out of my head. It's got fear, love, visceral sex, fate, disaster, death, zen spiritual renewal, sensuality, alternative lifestyle, philolsophy(?), shamanic mystery. What genre do you call that? IDK, I'm not a writer. Then, I have this other story...

Eeeeek! :eek:
    Help meee!

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am a Sci-fi writer that dabbles in Horror and Erotica of the S&M type.
    And sometimes smush all 3 together for a blend of something odder. :p
    I am just a derp that likes to try and make other's laugh, or possibly be
    helpful when I can. Perhaps at some point in the future I will try to cobble
    together a shorts compilation, and work on Horror. I hope at some point
    to show my fetish (Medical) some justice in the written format, cause what
    I see on the market is crap. :p
    I try to play nice with the other kids in the yard,
    and have a good time. :)
    Who is your daddy.png

9. paperbackwriter

paperbackwriter Banned Contributor

If I knew who I was I wouldn't be here. I write to find out who I am.

Alan Aspie, tapioka and Cave Troll like this.
  10. ugly henry

ugly henry Member

old guy, probably on my last legs, write horror, sometimes other stuff

11. Lilith Fairen

Lilith Fairen Member

Canadian, female, lover, gamer, writer. Most of what I write is fantasy with lesbian heroines.

For my current projects, I have an adventure-fantasy serial about a young woman seeking the purpose of her gift of healing, and a urban-fantasy magical-girl setting I have two novel WiPs in so far.

Nariac and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

Hey there! I'm just a dude who spends a lot of time alone inside a small, dark, cramped room... complete with padded walls, of course. I read stuff out loud. When I'm not doing that, I'm writing my own stuff for other people to read. Whether it's out loud, or to themselves, I really don't know. Every now and then, my wife drags me outside for a bit of exposure to sunlight and random humans. If I'm extra good, we go for sushi.

13. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

I tend to avoid detailed information about myself online due to my paranoia, but I will say that I am a South Asian young girl or lady (whichever is correct in English) who loves languages, dolls, clothes,animals (stuffed and real), higher spiritual learning and of course books!
    I don't have a favorite genre to write in but if I HAD to choose, it would be fantasy just because I love creating my own worlds. I do always tend to use very specific themes and character types regardless of what genre I'm writing. Plus I have a thing for dark tragic themes but with a good outcome.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I am a female poet and writer. I never seem to be able to stick to one story, or invest enough to write a full one. Genre? Err....thriller, comedy, romance, sci-fi, coming of age, erotica-not all in the one story! :p
    I have even written some song lyrics, but they need some music to go with them. Maybe this year? :rolleyes:

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. dbf

dbf New Member

hi,
    dan, write what ever comes into my head. sometimes it needs to be written down before i can move on to the next thing. like poetry, short tales and anything that catches my eye.

16. FaceOff

FaceOff Member

Hi,

I joined about two weeks ago (edit: nope, 1!), I love to read and write short stories because my attention span is garbage ;)

I live in a constant state of rage but I try to keep most of it on the inside, hope it doesn't seep out too much in my reviews! Only half-joking.

I only write sci-fi, except for this one story I'm about to post, and except for the superhero web story I'm working on. I guess I just don't want to write about our current reality!

I like sci-fi stories but I love superhero stories, so if you have one, feel free to PM me and it's likely I will read the crap out of it.

You folks rock :)

Some Guy, minstrel and Cave Troll like this.
  17. Stephen Barnard

Stephen Barnard Active Member

New to this forum site so this seems the best place to start! Middle-aged bloke, dabbles in novels and short stories - mainly horror but also some YA.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Taku

Taku Member

Hello!
    Straight guy
    Early 30's
    From Indonesia (It's at South East Asia)
    I'm not sure I like to write or not. But I like to day dream, and I have very huge imagination. Sometimes its very vivid.. I think I'm schizophrenic,jk lol. :supertongue:

I enjoy good movies and stories.

I guess I''ll upload my writing here cus I like forum more than a blog or site like reddit.

19. ZoeDT86

ZoeDT86 New Member

Hello, I am a single woman in her 30's (though I get mistaken for being younger a lot). I suffer from anxiety and mild autism but I am not ashamed of this as it is a part of who I am.
    I have had stories in my head for as long as I can remember and my stories have gotten me through some tough times, they mean the world to me.
    With this in mind, I started writing these stories around 2012 because I did not want my stories to die with me. Morbid I know, but have so many stories (at least 30) and they deserve to immortalise...yeah I got a little cheesy there, I apologise.
    I mostly write fantasy but I have plans to expand to other genres.

Some Guy likes this.
  20. Salt Of The Earth

Salt Of The Earth New Member

I'm a married woman, 25, born and raised in Florida. I love fantasy and dragons and have always loved writing about both. Currently I'm working on a fantasy novel about Dwarves.

21. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

As an Aspie I'm also autistic.

Wellcome!

Some Guy likes this.
  22. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I’m a synesthete, artist, programmer, game designer, streamer, and writer. I have a few physical anomalies that caused me a lot of grief in my school years, but I deeply appreciate now.

Gothic horror is my primary genre, but I tend to blend it with mystery, sci-fi, historical, and soft erotica elements.

23. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm just some dude on the cusp of my 30s. Writer, visual artist, inveterate wastrel, sex guru, amateur historian and linguist, pretend intellectual, occult scholar, misophone, misanthrope, hermetically sealed.

I write mostly in the supergenre of Speculative Fiction, because I'm more interested in the unreal than the real. I prefer what if to what is. Of course, I aspire to more than flighty nonsense—sometimes. I'm interested in, like, exploring the human condition and what not, but I feel it's best viewed through the lens of strangeness.

Specifically, I write lots of Fantasy, both of the Dark/Low and the High/Epic varieties. I like including strong elements of Sci-Fi and Horror (especially Cosmic Horror) in my Fantasy. I like blending genres in general.

I write quite a bit of pure Science Fiction too; Soft, Dystopian, Military, and Cyberpunk. I'm super fascinated by everything to do with outer space, and I dream of one day writing a grandiose Space Opera, but all my Sci-Fi so far is very much not that.

Alan Aspie and Some Guy like this.
  24. ThyRivalPoet

ThyRivalPoet Member

I am a teenager who loves to write and has too much time on her hands. I write realistic fiction. The book I'm writing now dips generously into the man vs self category and describes and follows the life of a man searching for stability and solidarity.

Alan Aspie and Seven Crowns like this.
  25. Willfluke

Willfluke New Member

Hello all

Like most of you, I'm an aspiring writer, having written numerous short stories; I finally decided to write a novel a year back. Today I finished editing my manuscript and I feel like it's ready to be presented to agents.

My novel is crime mystery thriller and I hope I could get some feedback here regarding my query letter.