Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ConnyB

ConnyB New Member

What a fascinating thread! I'm one of those people who's always thinking: too many books, not enough time and being here is only going to fuel that fire, I think :bigsmile:

Back to topic: I'm a hetero female, early forties, and I write poetry and flash fiction. Sometimes I use mythological or speculative elements in my work. It's actually something I'd like to do more often, because it's my favourite genre to read in.

Richach, sleepindawg, Saphry and 3 others like this.
  2. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Good to meet you.

ConnyB likes this.
  3. ConnyB

ConnyB New Member

Good to meet you too :bigsmile:

Tralala likes this.
  4. Saphry

Saphry Member

Welcome, @ConnyB !

Tralala likes this.
  5. ConnyB

ConnyB New Member

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Tralala likes this.
  6. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

I'm closer to fifty than forty five, married a quarter century to the most patient man ever born, three kids and two grandkids. I write for a living (see thread in Introductions if you're curious) so ordinarily the last thing I want to see at the end of the day is a computer screen. I've finally been sucked in!

7. Dawnbreaker

Dawnbreaker New Member

I'm a forty-year old married woman with a son. I write medieval fantasy fiction. I have a series I've been working on for years. Been meaning to try my hand at getting published but never got up the courage. Hopefully I will soon!

Nice to meet you all!

Xoic, Some Guy, Richach and 5 others like this.
  8. Mary Elise

Mary Elise Senior Member

This is a nice digital neighborhood, I think you'll like it here. Welcome!

Richach, Tralala and Dawnbreaker like this.
  9. mariaMonleon

mariaMonleon Member

I write mostly fantasy from my own world. I have written two short stories and there will also be a novella from that world. Working title for novella is 'Mrs. Changs revenge'

I have also a historical fiction project which will take several years to finish. Set in 800 B.C. Europe and Akkamenide empire.

Maybe I will have a go for the writing contest for December but as you can see English is not my mother tounge so I am not sure.

Richach, Tralala, sleepindawg and 4 others like this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi, and welcome, MariaMonleon. Please feel free to enter the contest! You might not win, but that applies to all the contestants. It's a chance to get your work in front of the forum members (albeit anonymously, until after the voting finishes) and maybe get a little bit of feedback as well. Some of our members very kindly comment on all entries.

At any rate, you're not risking anything by entering. I'm sure people will be kind! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope you do decide to enter.

Richach and Tralala like this.
  11. Lily Voltaire

Lily Voltaire New Member

Mid-twenties and still learning. This is my first time joining a writer's forum. I joined mostly for advice and tips since Google is not always the best resource for super specific questions. At the age of five, I wrote my first morality play and have since dabbled in a lot of different forms: poetry, playwriting, fanfiction, novels, etc. I'm currently writing an original work on Ao3 alongside my Dragon Age: Inquisition fanfic. I have a penchant for romance, sometimes erotica, which I then have my writer friends critique and edit when it gets to be too bland. Like many of us, I'm insecure about the quality of my writing, but am trying to write more to improve my technique and style. Outside of the internet I'm an extrovert, but when it comes to my work I clam up. :pity:

12. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Stop clamming! Don't be afraid to be bad. The first million words are practice. If we don't like it, we'll just stop reading.
    Criticism is only one person's opinion so don't fear it, it's not god's opinion. Heed it all but ignor what you can't use. Onward, ever onward!

Richach, Tralala, Some Guy and 2 others like this.
  13. D.R. Garland

D.R. Garland New Member

I am an old fifty year old native Texan, living above the Mason-Dixon line. I started writing poetry several years ago, and even began work on a play, but heath concerns forced me to abandon that project. I have just recently began to attempt short stories. I write because their are stories inside me that I need to let out. I love to learn, and will accept all opinions as valuable. Thank you!

Richach and Tralala like this.
  14. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  15. J Chris

J Chris Member

Male, 30's, and I write contemporary stuff. I haven't written since graduate school, which was five years ago, and have been working on a memoir.

Tralala and EFMingo like this.
  16. H. Antler

H. Antler Member

I am 40ish father of two. I am really just starting but with my work in games I gravitate towards speculative side.
    Here to learn the craft.
    I have "art school" and product development origins and have learned to value critique without letting it under my skin. Only way to learn is to know where I fail.

I am from Northern Europe but have lived in other places too. Not being English speaker makes me quite humble about my writing and it results in pretty clumsy sentences sometimes (maybe most of the time).

17. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I am male, it is tradition in my family to tell stories (Irish) and also to listen to stories. As you may or may not know these Irish stories can take a long time (they kind of meander!) So you have to have a lot of inbuilt confidence to deliver them. Especially nowadays as people are so rushed and have little time to slow down and listen.

Anyway, I choose to write my stories down and deliver them that way. I like the idea that a story can take the reader away on a journey and maybe offer a little rest or relief from the hustle and bustle. That's all.

18. OzeeManDias

OzeeManDias Member

Male, mid-20s.

Supremely and chronically depressed with every fiber of my being, so I try to counterbalance that by writing fantasy stories.

High fantasy, cyberpunk, medieval, any kind so long as it is fantastical in nature.

19. Platina

Platina Member

29 year old straight single female, living with two dogs: a pompom and a mixed breed of what I don't know, no job (got laid off around two years ago from a warehouse), living in a rent house. Born with Tourettes and slight nervous habits, and get stressed and bored easily, which I try and remedy with music, reading, and video games. I also love to draw and write when I have ideas and motivation. Things I love to write is mostly fanfiction because it interests me more than anything else.

That's about all I can say about myself, really.

20. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Welcome everyone. I hope to see you all participating on the boards and bringing your own personal perspective and style to answering questions and helping others. Put in good effort to help everyone out, and you shall receive it in kind.

21. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

It's nice to meet you all!

EFMingo, Richach and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Astraia

Astraia New Member

36 Female from the US. I have been writing all sorts of work since I was about 14. I have just started to write more story types again. Looking for where to share and found this lovely site.
    Hoping to post some works and share my thoughts on others.
    :love:

Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  23. EFMingo

Welcome! As I mentioned above, we really try to support those who actually try to review and edit other's work. You get out of this site only as much as you put in. I hope you enjoy your stay, and I look forward to seeing you answering questions, reviewing work,and bringing your own unique insights to the site.

Tralala, Astraia and Cave Troll like this.
  24. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Welcome, Ozee...

I can see myself in your words at certain moments in life. Writing is great to clear our minds.

Fantasy is also my favorite theme. Whenever you want, feel free to open a conversation to share some ideas. One of my goals here at the forum is to broaden my horizons by talking to other lovers of fantastic worlds.

OzeeManDias likes this.
  25. EFMingo

Start an RPG. If you want to collectively work on stories in a fantasy setting, this would be a good place. Yields surprising results when you put effort into it. Make one with some quality effort, and at least I'll join, but suspect a few more as well. Just a thought.

Morgoth_69 and OzeeManDias like this.