Who Cooks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheHedgehog, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I do not cook meat. Everything I cook is vegetarian. We sometimes will arrange it so that I will make a pasta or rice dish and he will grill his own chicken breast to eat with it. There are several meals I cook that he likes that are meat free. We also eat out a lot so he gets his weekly dosage of steak.

2. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I've become a vegan and my husband is not. I just throw him a steak in the oven and he can either eat a portion of my dinner as a side dish, or I make him some beans. What's great is that he has no idea that 80% of the items I've cooked lately (pancakes, breads and such) have no egg or milk in them. My son is allergic to milk, which turned me on to this, and I just went further on my own. For the record, my son eats meat on occasion with my husband.

I love to cook, now that I've become skilled at it. I can cook most anything. Though when we first were married, there was a horrible incident involving homemade macaroni and cheese and sweetened condensed milk. I didn't know there was a difference in it and evaporated milk, and let's just say it was the sweetest mac and cheese I've ever eaten.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in my old life, i was often a gourmet cook, as well as a 24/7 family one, for over 4 decades... in this one, i still love cooking, but doing it only for myself and being a vegetarian now, don't indulge in fancy stuff any more...

don't have any funny stories to tell, but did give a dinner party for the nevada governor once, that lasted on into the wee small hours, after he sent his chauffeur home for his guitar and treated us to a 2am jam session...

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I love baking, but cooking usually gets the better of me. Joel, on the other hand, can cook just about anything. He's a whiz in the kitchen.

I lost my cooking privileges for a long time after this one: Joel and I had recently gone to Disneyland and had some amazing baked potato soup at a restaurant there, so I wanted to try and make some. Before making the soup, you have to cook bacon and crumble it into pieces. On the last few pieces of bacon I cooked, I accidentally spilled some grease onto my finger, and when it hit my finger, I jerked back and poured bacon grease down my right wrist.

Lots of pain. But now it's a cool scar and a good story about how clumsy I am. :)

5. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Being fourteen, I'm just learning how to cook. Nothing fancy, but I can get together a decent meal in a constantly decreasing amount of time. I'm getting there. Number one thing I've learned: don't try to make bread if your yeast is two years past its expiration date. :)

6. lessa

lessa New Member

Lavendershy I love your signature.
    I used to wear a t shirt that said.
    "don't stare grow your own."
    obvious reason.
    when bread doesn't rise enough make it into pizza crust or ficochia.

7. Pierce

Pierce Member

That's a good thing to have learned. ;)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I buy yeast by the pound. I put some in a 4 ounce jar in the refrigerator and freeze the rest. But I use it often enough that it stays active.

9. hiddennovelist

Oooh, I want a shirt that says that!

Joel's mom buys everything in bulk and freezes it. We have things in our deep freezer that are like three plus years old. It skeeves me out a little.

That being said, I want to learn how to make bread. Homemade bread is delicious. And you don't need bacon to bake it, which is the only thing I'm expressly forbidden to cook with. :)

10. lessa

lessa New Member

a friend of mine kept one dish in her freezer for years.
    every time she wanted a break from cooking and be taken out to eat. She would pop it out onto the counter in the morning telling her husband they were having it for supper.
    She has never cooked it.
    guess it works.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know a salad isn't really cooking, but for those watching the carbs and the calories...

I just made this Caprici salad as my lunch.

We should all be familiar with Wrey's countertop and Fiestware by now. ;)

Plum tomatoes
    Block mozzarella
    fresh basil leaves
    olive oil
    balsamic vinegar
    pinch of salt

It's super tasty and throws together in 5 minutes!

[​IMG]

12. hiddennovelist

*wipes drool away*

I wish I lived closer to you, Wrey.

13. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I do most of the cooking in my house, though my hubby knows how to cook very well, he usually only cooks on his days off to give me a break.

My kids favorites would be my Fried Chicken (which I'm told is better than KFC), Mac & Cheese (which has to be made with super sharp Cabot Cheddar or it doesn't come out right,) Cinnamon buns and donuts, and my peanut butter-chocolate chip cookie bars. My hubby loves my Chicken curry (when it's super hot) and my lasagna.

I can cook pretty much anything, though I tend to only get ideas from recipies and then make them with my own twists.

I spent about three months trying to perfect a bread dough recipe that could be used in a variety of ways (from pizza dough, rolls and loaves, to adding sugar for cinnamon buns and donuts.) I finially concocted one after many, many experiements. Luckily I did write it down! Since I tend to forget what it is that I've added to things, thus half the time things I make never come out the same way twice!

I love cooking...I just hate the clean up. The only dishwasher in the house is me, done by hand...it sucks.

14. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

We know a family where the father is a Seriously Awesome Cook. His crockpot pork. . . . *drools* Anyway, he just sort of does things and they turn out delicious, but he can't always repeat it and can't tell anyone else how to do until he does manage to get it again. So yes, write it down.

Cheers,
    lav

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can make a mean tartar sauce that goes very well with the fresh-caught fish my dad usually catches in the summer and cooks at home......yummy. :D

Other than that, I can't really "make" anything......I can follow recipes very well, but only to small meals. I've never tried anything big. I guess I'm just not big on cooking. My dad makes amazing chili, though, and my mom, grandma Linda, and grandma Sheri are all the best cooks around. :D My grandma Jan is a good cook too, I'd say, but since I don't like all of her stuff that she makes and I like almost everything my mom and other two grandmas make, she's not in the top chef range, IMO. I still love her and her cooking though. :p My dad, when he decides to make something, is also a very good cook.

16. EclecticStyles

EclecticStyles New Member

I could be making Chill & Rice with Cinnemon Sugar one night and Chicken Wings, Chips and Corn on the Cob the other. Those are normally for the `family` meals.

If we're talking desserts, I'd normally make my Double Chocolate Brownies with Hot Fudge Sauce and a side of Cornish Vanilla. They are very rich, not too strong on the palette and very, very chocolately. Indulgent, I suppose and so... `naughty` for you. (though when I get to uni, I don't think that's the first thing the women will be thinking when they have a bite ;) )

Apart from them, though, I'll use whatever is to hand at home. Generally, that would be Mince (Beef or Lamb), Gammon and Chicken. With that, I'd serve Pasta (whatever pasta we've got) or rice (the same).

You learn to make do with what you've got. You also learn to eat big and hearty and to be thankful for what you've got. It really irritates me when women (and men!) pick about with the salad at a resturant or say, "oh, I'm on a diet; I shouldn't have that." Don't come over to my place for eats, then! As I say to a couple of collegemates of mine, "you Caribbean guys are mad. I don't eat no small portions or some piece of chicken with chips. That's not how we do it in Africa! I'll be having a three piece with fries, fillet burger and drink."

But yeah, a range of dishes, meals and `mix-ups`, for sure.