Who do you write like?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Like a cat that puked on the carpet after eating too much salmon.

2. Mana_Kawena

Mana_Kawena Member

Overall I have a very fluid style of writing; about the only thing that anyone has ever told me about it after reading my work is that I have a very "mysterious" and "conversational" style, one that is as welcoming as it is rich and engrossing, as well as "poetic" with a flowing and natural feel. Overall I have never really felt drawn to mimic the style of another writer, in part because I have always highly valued unique voices and a sense of individuality in writing; though this could be in part because I enjoy writing first-person narratives from a range of viewpoints, which is where that type of style shines.

Overall I would personally say that my style is a "flexible" one, particularly given that I've done a share bit of ghostwriting where it's essential to understand what makes a particular writer's voice their own, and I use voice itself as an essential element in my writing in order to get things like character across in a way that makes every story feel unique depending on the topic, age, and mentality of the protagonists especially.

3. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    I like to be concise and simple. Complexity in brevity. I think less is more. I'm very attracted to Hemingways ice berg theory.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

All the usual suspects people like me try to emulate in an effort to sound cool and 'real'; Kerouac, HS Thomson, Bukowski, Hemmingway, Fante. Difference is those guys weren't forcing their style.

5. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Before videogames consumed me, I mostly read Heinlein and I loved Douglas Adams for his absurdity. I would love to say I write kinda like that, but realistically, I would have to admit that I write like a linguistically limited sixteen year old, which was fine twenty-six years ago.

Aceldama likes this.