1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Who writes/reads big action/fight scenes? need advice.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tenderiser, Oct 1, 2015.

If you like to read or write these kind of scenes (in the vein of thrillers, crime, spy novels rather than 300-esque battle scenes) and you're willing to help me work out some issues with mine, I would really appreciate some advice over PM. I say PM because I don't want to give all the details of my scene here where the lovely people who will beta read for me might see it. I want it to be a surprise for them.

In short, I'm struggling to make it plausible and realistic that my protagonist wins a fight when all the odds are stacked against him. I'm much more of a character writer than an action writer and I don't read a lot of fight-y stuff, so I am having a lot of trouble with it.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for critique on a scene I've already written. I need ideas for how the scene will go, then I can write it. So what I really need is someone to brainstorm with me (mostly for me, I have virtually no ideas...)

Even if you don't consider yourself an expert, any advice is very welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. animenagai

animenagai Member

How long is it? I'm more of a fantasy guy, but I'm decent with fight scenes.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

As long as it needs to be. :)

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a critique on a piece I've already written. I need to start all over again, so what I'm looking for is ideas for how it will work. Once I know how the fight will go I can write it. Does that make sense?

4. animenagai

animenagai Member

Oh that's perfect. I'm probably better at the conceptual stage than the line-by-line critique anyway :). Send me a PM.

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

@T.Trian and I have received somewhat encouraging feedback on our fight scenes in the past, so we might be able to help... as regards to what goes on in the fight and what we've learned about how not to do the writing part of it. :ohno: :D