1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I'd Like to Review Books on Amazon, but . . .

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Catrin Lewis, Dec 8, 2016.

This follows on from the thread on the evils of sock puppetry over in the Announcements section.

I think I should get off my rear and contribute some solid, well-thought-out reviews on other people's published work on Amazon, etc. What's stopping me is the question of user identity.

Ten-plus years ago when I chose my Amazon user name, I wasn't thinking of reviewing anything. I just wanted an easy-to-remember handle that fit me and I could use to buy stuff. It's been fine for that, but I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to attach it to book reviews. It's not that it contains a form of my real name (which it does), it's more that it includes a certain professional title that might unduly influence some readers for or against what I have to say. There is also something about the title that could invite trolling from certain people. I'd rather do Amazon reviews under another name.

I've been checking, and it appears they allow you to have more than one account on Amazon, as long as you buy via each. But I'd like to be a Verified Purchaser for the Amazon-acquired books I review, and my Kindle account is under my existing user name.

What do other people here do? I've picked up that it might be possible to rename my existing Amazon account to something more neutral. Has anyone here done that? Was the change hard to make, and have there been any negative effects?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

If you contact Amazon customer support they should definitely be able to help you change any information you would like to change. After all, they want to keep your business!

I have never done this myself, but I have dealt with a similar situation on Ebay.

3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

You put Lord High Inquisitor in your name, didn't you?

Cave Troll, matwoolf and BayView like this.
  4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I can't imagine there would be any negative effects from having Amazon tech support change your username. They've always been very helpful when I contact them with an issue.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You can change your username yourself on amazon - go to 'your account' scroll own to the personalisation section , click on your public profile , then the grey button that says edit settings

jannert, matwoolf and Catrin Lewis like this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Hee. There are those who would think I might as well have. Only for me it would be "Lady High Inquisitor," thank you very much, and pass the hot irons.

7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Light starch, and if you could have it done by six, that would be great, thanks Lady.

[​IMG]

<I swear I'm not that much of a pig!>

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  8. Catrin Lewis

Ha. If you saw my ironing basket! Not much execution getting done there . . .

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I hope you will take a look at mine, I have two coming up. One short story late this month, one full length novel next month when cover is finished. Will advise. You can use whichever name you choose!

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I would say go and give mine a go, but I am little old nobody. (That and adverts are hard for me to come up with):p
    But if you want to you can find it pretty easily. (It must not be that good. My cousin Matt is the only person that
    I know that has bought it, but I don't think he has gotten around to bashing it yet. :D On the other hand the beta
    readers liked it pretty well, so I don't really know. Perhaps it is one of those hiding in the nook at the back of the
    shelf waiting for someone to find it.) :)

11. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

go to amazon
    go to account
    go to settings
    edit your name email and password
    also phone and extra security things

for kindle you should be able to open a new amazon account
    and just have those ebooks sent to your device for reading