1. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Why do people fear talking about politics?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chromewriter, Aug 10, 2021.

Hi guys,
    Recently had a conversation with someone about politics. But they ended backing out as soon as we realised we had differing opinions.

This has always puzzled me because I always saw this as a moment to contemplate new ideas and sometimes challenge myself. They stated that they have stopped talking to some people for good for this reason so they weren't comfortable with it.

But I just wanted to ask why does this tend to happen on this topic? :)

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Futility, I'd guess. I don't know where you are, but politics in the US has become so polarized that no one actually convinces anyone of anything. It's impossible to have an honest and reasoned discussion about much of anything, especially politics.

Gravy and Chromewriter like this.
  3. Chromewriter

I hadn't thought of that!

I've been pretty lucky in that I've not had to be politically active to affect too much change. I moved to Australia when UK were having brexit.

I guess politics is a sore subject for a lot of the western world right now.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I don't think most people fear talking about politics in private. But publicly or on social media, saying the wrong thing can get you canceled, especially if it's taken out of context or interpreted disingenuously.

Also, on social media it tends to be pointless, people have already made up their minds. Often, arguments online aren't even about the actual controversy, people try to hijack the debate and conduct it within their own frame.

Places like reddit might be a little better than facebook or twitter, but the problem is people will downvote anything that makes them feel bad. People don't like to feel bad. So emotion instead of reason dominates.

Chromewriter likes this.
  5. Chromewriter

I don't think it's pointless though. It's like watching a documentary about killers, terrorists and prisoners. Louis theroux for example is excellent and I loved his one on the KKK. I don't agree with anything the man is saying mostly, but I was enraptured when the grand dragon guy considers a Mexican a friend.

It amazed me and also made me think that we aren't that different (me the Asian guy and the racist KKK guy) just that he just had a wiring different from me. If there was more open discourse and less emotional hostility I think politics is something we should all be talking about. It only benefits everyone.

Obviously, if the person you are talking to, doesn't agree then you cannot keep trying to have that conversation. But it was just interesting to think because we could talk about all the wacky shit and not completely agree, but politics got a harder reaction out of him than expected. Hard being that he wanted to shut the conversation down (which he had never done before).

Social media maybe isn't the best place to broadcast your views though, I definitely agree. There are political views that can harm your relationships with people before you even meet them. But a private conversation should always be sought for imo. It's the only way to grow and not become radicalised in your own echo chamber.

6. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I feel like "religion and politics" are sort of the classical "don't talk about this with people you don't know well" topics. That sentiment goes back a long way, so I don't think it's an entirely new phenomenon. Although I do agree that things have gotten more polarized recently (how recently? seems things have been gradually getting more polarized for basically my entire life)--both in the sense of people not being as willing to change their mind, and in the more heated and even violent rhetoric that goes around.

7. Earp

I can't elaborate without dragging your thread into the Debate Room, but I have become convinced that most of the problem stems from the idea that people on the political Left and people on the Right don't experience reality in the same way.

ETA: I should have said, don't experience the same reality. Sounds science fictionish, but it's the only explanation that makes any kind of sense to me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    EFMingo, RMBROWN, Mullanphy and 6 others like this.
  8. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

My husband swears that before the next election, he's painting a yard sign that says, "There's nothing in the world less sensible than Democrats except for Republicans, and vice versa." Being a sensitive person, I'm afraid Libertarians and other minor political parties will feel ignored, and demand equal acknowledgement of their shortcomings.

Some Guy and Chromewriter like this.
  9. Chromewriter

I think this is because reality is very heavily influenced by your ego and the ego is created by the belief system you hold. Plus I did read an article once about anything that threatens your belief system actually has a very physical response. Your body goes into flight or fight mode.

10. Chromewriter

That's hilarious.

Gravy likes this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd say it's because everything has become politicized and weaponized, all the way down to the style of one's shoes. And most Americans are dipshit stupid, will believe ANYTHING they hear or read, and don't have the basic civics knowledge required to enter into even the most rudimentary political discussion.

12. Catriona Grace

Goodness, Homer, one can only conclude you are associating with the wrong Americans.

Gravy, Some Guy and Chromewriter like this.
  13. Earp

Thinking about all this, besides hurting my brain, has given me a great idea for a story.

Some Guy likes this.
  14. Earp

Well, he's in Rhode Island. Lumberjacks and bears.

15. Catriona Grace

I've never been Back East. Lumberjacks, bears, and mostly dipshit stupid people? Sounds awkward.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Working with the public I have little choice as to whom I associate with. It's a 1000 a week cross-section with nearly all of them drinking, which probably doesn't help.

Worse... academics, lawyers, gangsters, and hookers.

Cave Troll and Some Guy like this.
  17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

during the last uk election i was sporting a sign in my car window that said "vote Muppet... you're going to get one anyway"

On point I'm not afraid to discuss politics per se but there is as little point in debating with an extremist of any flavor as there is in playing chess with a pigeon... it doesn't understand the rules, knocks half the pieces over, shits all over the board and then flies away convinced it's won

Xoic and Homer Potvin like this.
  19. Earp

With apologies to hookers everywhere.

20. Chromewriter

I think it'd also partly because of social media has ironically become the thing to make us disconnected from people. It creates thriving echo chambers that makes it so that you end up reinforcing your beliefs rather than challenging them (which I think is usually healthy periodically).

21. big soft moose

Its also because the ability to debate politics* without getting angry or abusive has been lost for many people... its why we limit politics threads to the debate room here because they are virtually guaranteed to catch fire...

(*in fact to debate anything... so many people seem to have lost sight of the idea of honorably holding differing opinions)

For example I'm British but i have a number of American friends some of whom are conservative republican gun owners from Texas, and others of whom are fairly radical liberals from Seattle... I get on fine with all of them but neither side can understand how a 'reasonable guy like me' can be friends with those right wing maga fascists / liberal lefty pinks... i can debate politics with either group without much problem, even on contentious subjects .... but I wouldn't even think about putting them both in the same room let alone them debating with each other

Gravy, Lazaares and Chromewriter like this.
  22. Chromewriter

I think we british have learnt to hate all politicians equally enough that we only vote for the ones we barely tolerate. :D

23. big soft moose

I must admit i tend to vote on local issues... because at a national level it would have to be who do i dislike least

24. Catriona Grace

I see your point. Far fewer than 1000 people a week come through my museum, not many have been drinking, and admirers of wildlife (the animals, not the lifestyle) tend to be intelligent, well-mannered folks.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  25. Chromewriter

Makes me wonder why our politicians are seen eating when it's enough to derail their whole political career as well. It's funny when I'm reading up about some of the stupid shit that the sun finds time to be critical of.