Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Stinger

Stinger New Member

What compells you to write?
    I don't know, but I really can't stop it.

Why do you write?
    Because I think if I don't write my books I've done a crime to my stories.

What makes you write what you write?
    Nothing. I'm a free man (who lives in a dictatorship).

What Made you decide you liked to write?
    Myself.

What Do You Write?
    Novel, short story, play, essay.

2. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

I've been reading constantly for as long as I can remember. It started with goosebumps and fear street books, and quickly escalated to Stephen King when I was about ten. I read "Carrie" and fell in love with Stephen King's writing. I think right about then was when I realized I love telling stories and reading them. I was obsessed with the horror genre (and still am), but eventually started reading other things.
    When I first read Edgar Allan Poe's "The fall of the House of Usher" in seventh grade, that sealed the deal. I was so passionate about writing I joined the school newspaper, I started writing in a literary magazine for the school, and I was writing (by hand, which was long and painful) fifty or more pages of stories and then making my friends read them(kudos to them for putting up with me, lol).
    So, I guess I've always wanted to be a novelist, though I don't know if I'll get there. All I do know is I write like it's my life, and I always will. Now, that I'm an English major in school I'm going to have a great time learning and writing constantly. :D

3. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

I write for the same reason I breathe.

4. Raven

Raven Banned

We breathe because if we do not we will die.

5. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

Indeed.

I suspect that you suspect me of hyperbole. If so, you're right, but, to a lesser extent than I suspect that you suspect. :)

6. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

What compells you to write? My sense of creativity, my imagination, my hope of writing something worth publishing, my enjoyment of the fictional world that is literature.
    Why do you write? It makes me happy, it allows me to express my imagination, it's a release for my thoughts, it's fun
    What makes you write what you write? My enjoyment of fictional/fantastic/thrilling/comic literature, my vivid imagination, my love for fiction
    What Made you decide you liked to write? The feeling I get when I'm writing, the fun I have when I'm thinking of what to write about
    What Do You Write? Fiction, mostly fantasy/horror, mostly short stories, sometimes poetry

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

The sign on my desk that says, "Tomorrow USED TO BE Payday!" keeps me writing the romance novels. My other novels, (1 is finished and making the submission rounds, 1 is in progress) the characters grabbed me by the throat and screamed at me that they would not let me go unless i put them down on paper.
    Why do you write?

As others have said, it keeps me sane.

See my first answer

It was never a conscious decision to write. The conscious decision I made was to make my writing pay its own way.

What Do You Write?

Romance novels pay the bills for now. The first non-genre novel was a multi-family, multi-generational saga spanning 4 continents and runs from around the close of the American Civil War to the present time. Current work in progress is a young, pregnant widow and involves past life regression and custody battles with in-laws and other angsty stuff.

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I've gotta say that's the best answer I've ever heard for writing.

-What compels you to write?
    I want to be famous. I also want people to go "Oh wow that's cool".

-Why do you write?
    Because I have a lot of ideas swimming around in my head. If i didn't write them down they'll just keep annoying me until I eventually forget them. Unfortunately they usually come back years later and say why didn't you write me down it would have been such a cool story.

-What makes you write what you write?
    My mind comes up with an idea, usually a picture, entirely on its own. Then it forms a story for me. I write down the story that comes forth.

-What Made you decide you liked to write?
    I like playing God with my characters, and seeing what happens next.

-What Do You Write?
    I write about ordinary people or sometimes aliens and monsters, thrown into situations they aren't ready for. Then I leave it up to them to decide if they survive or not.
    So I write sad, nasty, and often tragic stories. But when there is a happy ending, everyone knows its deserved.

9. potters_pimp

potters_pimp New Member

What compells you to write? I like writing down things I see in my imagination, and try and get a story from it
    Why do you write? Enjoyment mainly, though I do want to get published.
    What makes you write what you write? I've loved fantasy fiction for a fair while now. Probably 7 or 8 years ... well since my year three teacher began reading us Harry Potter (Yes, I am one of the people that JK got reading with Harry Potter), so one day, after reading a published novel, I thought "I think I can do better," (You know what 13 year olds are like. Think they can do everything perfectly) of course, that story needed so much editing and rewriting it wasn't funny. It finished now, and I've got one of my friends reading it.
    What Made you decide you liked to write? The chill I get down my spine when I write a good scene.
    What Do You Write? At the moment just fantasy, it's really the onlygenre I've ever read. I've never really liked anything else.

10. gregos

gregos New Member

I love to write.it's something i have been doing since my childhood
    but never got the chance to publish something or put it on the markt.

i wirte because i love it.it's like when your watching a movie and you are the main character,the adrenaline rush.suspense everything.

when i first started writing as a kid and that was it.

i like to write horror and science fiction

11. writer_creativewriting

writer_creativewriting New Member

These questions certainly do make you look at why you decided to do what you do, very interesting!
    :D

Scene setting tends to get me writing, feeling the desperate need to explain things prior to any action!

Why do you write?

It's purely for fun, not for money. I work full time already! I write to relieve from stress, not add to it!

Thinking about it I write what I write so that I can enjoy it too! Never realised that before, these are good questions!
    I like the idea of my reading something I want to imagine.

Don't know the answer to that one. Creation of another life that I have control of tends to spring to mind! Relieves me from this chaos!

What Do You Write?

Fiction, I like the reader to learn something too, but enjoying it is the main objective.

12. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

What compells you to write? I love to make oridinary words sound beautiful.
    Why do you write? It's a creative outlet, much better than my previous outlets, and I hope to make it as a real writer one day. It's my de-stress-er, too.
    What makes you write what you write? I write what I know.
    What Made you decide you liked to write? The sense of peace and happiness I got while I was writing.
    What Do You Write? Fiction, usually based on my life and dramaticized. Poetry once in a while. (I love writing sonnets.)

13. Karpi

Karpi New Member

What compells you to write? The memory of my 35-chapter masterpiece that got destroyed with fire
    Why do you write? I care about every character ive created
    What makes you write what you write? Im confused.
    What Made you decide you liked to write? Drawing out my dreams on a map, i had a huge thing eventually, then i thought, "What if people actually lived here?"
    What Do You Write? Realistic Fiction, if thats a term

14. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I write for the fun of it, because it's creative and I'm good at it.

15. SAGMUN

SAGMUN New Member

Why do I write?

I write to share my inner-world. Writing is, for me, like reading a book found in the dusty part of my mind. I peeked at the book ending. Now I'm driven to explore how the characters got there.

16. ivy

ivy New Member

I was 30 years old before I realized that not everyone in the world made up stories in their heads as they sat at traffic lights or sorted laundry. That was when I realized I was a writer. I think I've been making up stories since I could formulate images in my head: I don't know how not to do it.

The written word has always had a profound power to shake and change me like nothing else could. I want to have that same power over other people. I want my characters to live in other people's minds, long after they've turned the last page; I want to be able to move someone else with the things that move me.

17. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I watched lots of TV and played lots of video games. While I did, I'd make up my own characters and scinerios within the show or the game. I started with fan fiction and eventaully it just evolved into creating stories and worlds fully my own.

18. Tori

Tori New Member

What compells you to write? I'm always coming up with random story ideas through out the day. Ideas about other people that I see about me or things that happen around me. I think I must have an overactive imagination, I'm always day dreaming.

Why do you write? If I didn't my brain would be too full of ideas.

What makes you write what you write? I enjoy reading fantasy so what I write refelcts my tastes. I think it's also some thing to do with getting away from reality for a while.

What Made you decide you liked to write? I'm not really sure. I didn't decide that I liked it, I just did it.

What Do You Write? I write fantasy. Mostly stuff that is set in the real world with fantastical things happening in it. Sort of like Harry Potter but more grown up.

19. Darksoul

Darksoul New Member

Ah, I think my passion for fantasy and writing originate from my days as a gamer. Videogames, but also television, had a great effect on me.
    An ultimate peak were my days in World of Warcraft, my second year of playing the game. I made some great friends, and got into a wonderful guild with a great story etcetera. My first experiences with "Roleplaying" both ingame as on fora.

I have a weak for fantasy. For fantastic and magical things happening to ordinary (or not so ordinary) people. How I have dreamt...
    Even now, studying literature, I cannot help esteeming fantasy more than I do "Literature with a capital L".

My ambitions were stimulated first on the guild forum of that World of Warcraft guild, Sybilian Shade. There were writing contests to decide what the guild's 'roleplaying-historical past' would be. And then I wrote a long epic story about one of the guild's (made-up) adventures. Starring many members which I knew well in-game, I wrote a wonderful story full of subplots and plot-twists. My style sucked back then, really painful when I look back at it, but I had the fellow forum users going. They would give me a lot of positive feedback, telling me how much they were looking forward to the next bit every time, praising my ideas of plot structure. It generated an awesome feeling of pride in and passion for my writing.

As I stopped playing wow (long after the guild had collapsed and most friends I had left the game or server), my writing ceased for a while. Then a school buddy, who was into drawing, cartoons and comics, proposed to work on a comicbook or something together. He said he knew how to draw but never managed to link pictures together, to form a story behind it. So I came up with an idea and worked it out. Comic stories turned out not to be that cartoonist's thing after all, but it didn't matter. The ideas were already there, in my mind. So I started writing a story (already calling it a 'book', or even a trilogy, running ahead of things, as usual). The main idea was a parallell world where animals walked and talked. And a hero from our world got stuck into that world. I thought out many characters, plot lines, the relation between the two worlds, the justification for the parallell world's existence, etcetera.
    I wrote about 60 pages at a fast pace, before I encountered a writer's block.
    From then on it was only rewriting the first bits of what I had. Then eventually, I started new bits, new beginnings, other points of view, ...
    Until one day, when I decided to give the story another look, I realized it was gone. Erased in one of the many formats my computer endured.

And on went the writer's block. I only had time for my studies and my music. When I tried writing I never generated more than a page or two.
    But now I'm thinking of blowing some new life into my writing ambitions! The main occasion for choosing linguistics&literature for studies are my aspirations to become a writer one day.

A distant dream, but one I feel I should cling to.
    Joining this forum is, I believe, a first important step in the pursuit of my ambitions.;)

- There I go again, looks like I wrote a whole bloody essay! -

20. kmlovering

kmlovering New Member

I write because I have too much going on in my head! I am filled with plots, and ideas, and get frustrated, because I can't just sit down and write a great book!

Why do you write?

I "love" words. I enjoy learning new words, and when I write a line, or paragraph that is truly unique I feel incredible, like I can do, or be anything. Too dramatic?

I write mostly dark stuff. Death, and questioning death. The paranormal fascinates me, and if I could I would investigate cemeteries, and old houses. Wow, that would be way cool.

English Lit in the eighth grade. We had to write a creative essay, and I got an "A" and a compliment. It was my favorite class, and my favorite teacher.

What Do You Write?

Right now, I am writing for the Horror genre, since this is what I am most interested in, and enjoy reading. I want to "scare" the !!!! out of people. The biggest compliment would be if the person reading my book, actually had nightmares. That would be soooo satisfying to know "I did that!"

21. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

What compels you to write?
    What compels me to write is my idea and my head. If I don't have a pen and paper my ideas would make my head explode.
    Why do you write?
    I write because its a way of expressing myself the way I want people to see the world, me, and humanity.
    I also have a lot of ideas in my head and its nice to get them out.
    Inspiration from reading books, music, watching a movie, nature, so basically everything.
    I knew at the bottom of my heart with all these ideas I had to do something with it. I was never a good drawer and so I created my first poem. Then it spread.
    What Do You Write?
    On all genres.
    Not just one genre. I have ideas for anything and everything. It comes quickly to me sad, romance, horror, sci-fi, etc.
    Though my favorite to write is horror.

22. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

1. Basically anything that I get inspired by...whether it be something I saw or heard a couple of seconds ago, or whether it be something that's been brewing inside my head for ages!

2. I write because I enjoy doing it. It's a way for me to express myself, and sometimes get my emotions out of me without screaming at a pizza delivery boy of bursting out into song in the middle of math class.

3. The idea of inspiring emotion in others, whether it be good or bad.

4. I've been writing for six years now, and my first inspiration came from an anime show called 'Dragon Ball' (not Dragon Ball Z...the first series is called Dragon Ball)

5. I like to write stories that have an inspirational theme, or message. The only thing I don't write is fantasy...which my friends and boyfriend all write... ^-^;

23. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

xx

I want to be able to say "Yeah, I completed something, I made that out of nothing."
    But also, I can't find the perfect book to read, so I write it.

Why do you write?

To prove people wrong. Yes, I am a young writer, but honestly some stuff younger writers come up with is so much more compelling and truthful than what older generations create.

Firstly, boredom. I often go through phases of creativeness. One moment my muse is wanting to write, the next it wants to make a video (see my homepage in my profile). It depends on my mood.

I'm okay at it. But actually, I like the fact nobody is perfect at it. There's always new things to learn, and it allows you to make your own perfect story.

What Do You Write?

I hate to call it fantasy, but in a sense I suppose it is.

At the moment I'm writing about demons in the city, that have taken over downtown. Basically, it's hell in this city (quite literally).

24. ninelifewriter5

ninelifewriter5 New Member

I don't know.
    Why do you write?
    I don't know.
    I don't know.
    I don't know.
    What Do You Write?
    Whatever I feel like writing at the time.

I guess you can see that I answered I don't know to most of the above questions, because I really don't. In the words of Rylee, I picked up a pen one day and never figured out how to put it down. I've always been thinking up things that could happen, wondering what the outcome would be, and then I'd plan it. I've always done it.
    Even as a little kid the smallest thing would spark something in my mind and begin to form an idea, which I would then put down into words.

I honestly have no idea why I like writing in the genres I do. To me, it just feels right and it just comes naturally. I don't know what compells me. I usually write about crime, war, murder, etc;- mainly things that I can twist to have unexpected endings. Usually I write about what is bubbling about in my mind at the time, or the feelings I have. That way I can write a good story.

Why do I like to write? Again, no idea. I could say it makes me feel accomplished, that if I didn't write me head would explode, or that I do it because I love to share it with people. All are true, but they aren't why I write. I just don't know. I've tried many times to answer this question to myself and even then I draw a blank.

25. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

Very interesting, ninelifewriter5...that's a different way of looking at things! :)